Fordmods Logo

ef xr8 low beam not working 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

Not on an XR... All single filament globes...

If bridging the power input wires together worked then the relay must have been operating in order to pass power through it to the globe...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

While we're here... Factory XR wiring on an e series looks like this...

Except when I drew this I put the headlight switch in the wrong spot... It it between the dip switch and the negative rail...

Attachment:
ED Falcon Headlights Wiring (XR).pdf [29.67 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times


Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Online
User avatar

Posts: 2755

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Not on an XR... All single filament globes...

If bridging the power input wires together worked then the relay must have been operating in order to pass power through it to the globe...

Cheers,
Tim



the XR headlights i have here have a dual filament [low/high] & single filament high and looks to be an original AU XR series

are the E series differant??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

Yes AU run dual filament lows... E series which are the same headlights in ED to EL run a H1 globe and the highs are H3... They're wired as per my drawing roughly and by changing the std falcon to a 5 pin low beam relay, and the diode link you gain the low beams being on with the high beams, otherwise doing an XR conversion on an E series without these parts will result in the low beams turning off when on high beams...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Posts: 492

Joined: 13th Jul 2013

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

were lights working correctly before or are you fitting ?

take better picture of low beam relay and wiring which is next relay along from one shown (hi beam relay) in your pic -
as mentioned violet and violet/white wires are ALL meant to have power from circuit breaker (near battery)
circuit breaker is working or you wouldn't have hi beam -possible break in wiring from circuit breaker if all four violet wires dont have power all the time-

did you check if low beam relay was a change over relay as mentioned previously (87a ?)

Hi beam relay = 4wires
violet and violet/white = constant power from circuit breaker
green/red = earth from Hi beam circuit of dipper switch and hi beam flash to relay
green/orange = power out of relay to Hi beam

Low beam relay =5wires
violet and violet/white = constant power from circuit breaker
orange= earth from Low beam circuit of dipper switch to relay
red/black =power out of relay to Low beam
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Online
User avatar

Posts: 2755

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Yes AU run dual filament lows... E series which are the same headlights in ED to EL run a H1 globe and the highs are H3... They're wired as per my drawing roughly and by changing the std falcon to a 5 pin low beam relay, and the diode link you gain the low beams being on with the high beams, otherwise doing an XR conversion on an E series without these parts will result in the low beams turning off when on high beams...

Cheers,
Tim




thats just crap on an E series ..... glad i don't have the original XR/sports lights


bad as the 'high' series valiants have 35watt highs [x4] ...... useless
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:38 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
Yes AU run dual filament lows... E series which are the same headlights in ED to EL run a H1 globe and the highs are H3... They're wired as per my drawing roughly and by changing the std falcon to a 5 pin low beam relay, and the diode link you gain the low beams being on with the high beams, otherwise doing an XR conversion on an E series without these parts will result in the low beams turning off when on high beams...

Cheers,
Tim




thats just crap on an E series ..... glad i don't have the original XR/sports lights


bad as the 'high' series valiants have 35watt highs [x4] ...... useless



Hence the morimotto hid d2s retrofit I did... My lights are better than the bf I also own...

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
by changing the std falcon to a 5 pin low beam relay, and the diode link you gain the low beams being on with the high beams, otherwise doing an XR conversion on an E series without these parts will result in the low beams turning off when on high beams...

Not on the EF/EL's - the wiring is same GLI, Futura and XR. Where people have problems is if doing an XR light conversion to an EF/EL equivalent Fairmont, Fairlane, or LTD. The low beam will turn off when high beam is selected as mentioned.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Online
User avatar

Posts: 2755

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Mad2 wrote:

thats just crap on an E series ..... glad i don't have the original XR/sports lights


bad as the 'high' series valiants have 35watt highs [x4] ...... useless



Hence the morimotto hid d2s retrofit I did... My lights are better than the bf I also own...

Cheers,
Tim



understand why now



snap0964 wrote:
Not on the EF/EL's - the wiring is same GLI, Futura and XR. Where people have problems is if doing an XR light conversion to an EF/EL equivalent Fairmont, Fairlane, or LTD. The low beam will turn off when high beam is selected as mentioned.


that explains the listing on the page ... didn't list XR, just one page for the falcon & another for the fairlane
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 27

Joined: 10th Jul 2014

Ride: ef xr8

Location: callington
SA, Australia

cheers mate I'll do that
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 27

Joined: 10th Jul 2014

Ride: ef xr8

Location: callington
SA, Australia

Hey Guys, the low beams just stopped working one day. they have never been replaced
what I have tried so far was to bridge the purple/white wire of high beam with the solid purple wire of low beam just under the relays and in doing this got the low beams work normally with light switch and in all other configuration. my schematic's shows the purple/white wires come from the circuit breaker and this is the same for the high beam, so it seems the low beam purple/white wire which feeds into the relay is not working but I'll check it tomorrow to be sure. I'm unsure what the solid purple wire is for in the low beam relay but by bridging it worked with p/w low beam worked. schematic's does not show solid purple wire anywhere.
does anyone know where the circuit breaker is?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:08 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 27

Joined: 10th Jul 2014

Ride: ef xr8

Location: callington
SA, Australia

yes I have changed relay for low beam and even before that it seem the low beam relay was working. I'll get back to ya all tomorrow once I have checked power supply of both purple/white n solid purple
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Posts: 492

Joined: 13th Jul 2013

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

check under overflow bottle for circuit breaker
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3705

Joined: 27th Sep 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: Leeton
NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
TimmyA wrote:
by changing the std falcon to a 5 pin low beam relay, and the diode link you gain the low beams being on with the high beams, otherwise doing an XR conversion on an E series without these parts will result in the low beams turning off when on high beams...

Not on the EF/EL's - the wiring is same GLI, Futura and XR. Where people have problems is if doing an XR light conversion to an EF/EL equivalent Fairmont, Fairlane, or LTD. The low beam will turn off when high beam is selected as mentioned.


Ray you're saying Gli, Futura and XR all run H1 lows? Or all run both low and high beam relay when on high beam?

My ED did it... I don't run the diode and 5 pin relay (it's all AU now anyway) I run a diode between the coils on the low and high beam to keep the HID on when on high...

I don't have a genuine manual for the EL sorry Andrew... I have ED, AU and BF... None of them will help if Ray believes there is a difference between ED and EL XR wiring... On ED, that middle pin wire on the low beam runs through a diode link and back into the high beam wire... This way when high is on it back flows to low... But as far as EL goes maybe Ray has a diagram?

Cheers,
Tim

 

_________________

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ef xr8 low beam not working
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:27 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Ray you're saying Gli, Futura and XR all run H1 lows? Or all run both low and high beam relay when on high beam?
Both

Mad2 wrote:
also possibly check the earth side of the low beam relay as the actual low beam side may not actually be working ...... if i read this factory page right - inner headlight is single filament with outers double filament
This is the right track to follow, along with the shown diagrams. Provided the low beam relay is a 5 pin as already covered, the relay coil gets earth via the orange wire back to the steer column switch. It gets power from the cct breaker to the relay coil, and 87. On high beam, you lose the earth to the steer column switch, and 30, which goes to the low beam lights, then gets power from 87A, which is hooked up to the line to the high beam lamps.

Pull the low beam relay out - with headlights on, 87 should have 12v, 86/85 should have 12v and earth, earth is orange wire via steer column switch, and you should lose earth when on high beam. 87A should have 12v on high beam. 30 goes to the low beam lamps.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:50 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names