Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont Ghia Cluster Won't Light Up? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont Ghia Cluster Won't Light Up?
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:28 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

So if you have been following my build thread you would have seen that I've recently put a complete EL Ghia Dash loom, with Ghia ECU and Ghia Green BCM all out of the same car into my EL Futura.

Everything works fantastic, like the climate control and trip computer, though the Ghia Cluster won't light up when park lights are turned on, and there is no odometer reading ( LCD Screen is just black ).

I know when installing this cluster into anything lower than a fairmont you need to add the resistor, but everything in my car is out of a Fairmont Ghia, so why won't it work?

The cluster was working fine when removed from the ghia and my original Futura Cluster works the way it should with all the ghia parts in my car. Even the electric ariel is working and being controlled fine by the BCM.

Help?

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Cluster Won't Light Up?
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Did you change the headlight switch ? It is different from what I remember. Also, start with the simple and change the globe for the Odo.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Did you change the headlight switch ? It is different from what I remember. Also, start with the simple and change the globe for the Odo.

Headlight switch has been changed over to the ghia one. I haven't changed the Odometer globe, I'll try that though none of the backlight globes are illuminating behind the speedo or tachometer either. :(

I'll try the globe and see what happens, any other ideas?

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

You may have 2 separate things so look at each individually. The Odo light is on with the ignition circuit, and so the globe will normally fail first. If the filament was fatigued, a bump when installing could have been enough to take it out. Check for loose connections or bent pins for the other fault, are you able to test the cluster with a Multi meter ? There is provision on the back of the cluster for a 3rd connection, ( dont know if it is used on a Fairmont ) have you checked all the cables are on the light switch ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

check tail lights are working if so then check other lights eg.cig lighter heater controls illuminate -try adjusting dash illumination up on headlight switch -check fuses with test light - as previously stated dash light is seperate issue to backlight globe in odometer

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]