Fordmods Logo

EL immobilizer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EL immobilizer
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL/Futura

SA, Australia

Hi all started having a problem with my el not turning over found out it's my immobilizer so after trying a reset i got a high pitched screech sound coming from behind my dash like when you pick up the phone and a fax is coming through at the same time my dash lights come on and are very dim can any body help please?

Post subject: Re: EL immobilizer
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When it doesn't turn over does the smartlock light come on in the dash?

Try holding the key to start and bumping the dash with your palm just above you left knee... See if that makes it start...

The high pitched noise is weird... There is only thing with a buzzer in it and that's the instrument cluster and my NL instrument cluster only makes a noise when you leave the lights on and turn the key off... You need to investigate that noise because it is not related to smartlock and if you can tell us from which module the noise is coming from that'll help sort a solution...

Dim dash lights... Check your dash earth and make sure it isn't loose? I have seen this and a loose earth anywhere will cause all sorts of weird s**t to happen... The dash earth is under the cowling at the top which usually has a couple of screws down through the tweeter holes... Take the cowling off and see if it is tight for one and clean and corrosion free for two...

Then check your other earths... Battery main, chassis rail drivers side, chassis rail near the air box, near the header tank, and probably unrelated but the boot earths near the taillights...

Is the battery itself in good condition? Not on it's last legs?

The genuine immobiliser (smartlock) causes very little issue ever... Only issues is if you blow the crt light fuse the car wont start... And there is a relay in it which gives up just one it's mechanical life (engages every time you turn the key on) and usually bumping the dash when holding the key to crank can make the relay come good and wind the car over...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: EL immobilizer
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL/Futura

SA, Australia

Thanks for the suggestions ill give them a try today and hopefully she'll dire up cheers man.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]