Fordmods Logo

EL xr8 interior lights won't go out 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EL xr8 interior lights won't go home
Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

when BEM (bcm) is disconnected you also loose power to interior light (green/yellow) wire - switching circuit is black/blue as mentioned

Do you have alarm - factory or aftermarket - check for boot or bonnett switch that may be also be connected to door circuit and staying on -

note: if you use your replacement BEM you will need to leave the ignition on for1/2 to 1 hour to download key for smartshield to be able to stop flashing and start but this is not necessary for testing for your fault

also if you test interior light circuit to earth as correctly adviced by snap, disconnect BEM module so you are only testing the wiring the reason for this is to find out if your fault is on the wiring into the BEM or out from the BEM

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL2 xr8

VIC, Australia

Problem all fixed,
I went to an auto elec and as TedW was saying I was going to let the bem/bcm do it's thing for an hour.
Anyway looked at my battery and it showed it needed replacing, popped the new battery in as I was driving home from the auto elec's, the lights turned off everything back to normal.

Now I have a spare bem/ bcm lol

Thank you for the help guys I can always rely on you guys on the forums :)

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ok it was to good to be true, lights cam back on and are constantly on now :(

But I found that if I unplug my driver door switch lights go out. :)
I've used some different door switches which I got from the wreckers and for some reason that hasn't fixed the problem. What do I do now?

:s

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The door strap hasn't pinched that door button wire has it and earthing it out... Might be coincidence that unplugging the button fixes the issue...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

try flexing the harness that runs between door and body while watching light (dont forget you have a delay so watch for light just dulling a little)wires may be shorting when moving door in and out - do you have bonnett or boot switch.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Sorry for digging this old thread up from the dead but,
Ok, I went to an auto elec and last week he reset the car and the lights were fine for 6 days.
Now the lights have come back on, I went to the auto elec again today and he said he just replaced the interior fuse and it was fine. I drove car, parked. Came back about an hour later and the interior lights are back on!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :x I am loosing my f**king mind.

I'll try flex the door harness' thanks TedW

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:31 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

first find another auto elect.-how does replacing fuse fix something that is working but wont turn off? - fuse has to be working in first place - pull BEM fuse No 10 i think then refit to reset bem -

did you check for bonnett switch -

disconnect BEM - remove driver door switch,put a test light with cable connected to live power supply, put other end in switch wire, if on,
- look for earth in switch wire circuits -all switches- flex door harness -shorting on door strap in behind kick panel as mentioned - connect spare bem dont try to start at this time ,lock and check light -

if test light is not on when testing door switch circuit -
reconnect BEM check for short in circuits to all interior lights - check in doors - to doors - key light -remove sun visors and or a pillar trim in case wire caught etc. green/yellow = power supply to lights
black/blue = switching circuit to lights
============================
get someone with descent scan tool to check pid's to find out which circuit is staying on

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

TedW wrote:
============================
get someone with descent scan tool to check pid's to find out which circuit is staying on

EL's dont have PIDS

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Post subject: Re: EL xr8 interior lights won't go out
Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I just reset my 'smart lock remote', I was having a few dramas with it.
When I lock the door with the remote the car horn 'beeps' a couple of times and the doors lock.
Is this any help or idea, I'm most likely going to a different auto elec next week :(

I really appreciate the help guys... :)

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

horn is to tell you door is open (same if interior lights staying on) is there an alarm fitted aftermarket (may have been disconnected)?

what issues with smartlock remote as this may be related to interior light staying on as well ?

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ok, was having a look around today.
Had my multi meter on the earth in the back of the bcm harness and tested that back to all of the door switches, they are all good.(was getting 12v at all switches and on the interior lights also)
On Thursday night I brought a bcm (same colour) from the wreckers, and installed it and left it for 3hours and 47 mins and the interior lights were still on, I'm going to book it in to go to a new auto elec this week, it's driving me Insain!!
Keep in mind I did install the sun visor lights interior lights, passenger, driver floor lights and nf map light a few months ago.
I dont think that is the problem at all because I tested that also and it is fine, could I possibly need to upgrade to an el Fairmont/ ghia bcm and they had all the extra fancy interior lights

Thanks guys,
Probably should have mentioned the extra intro lights

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

is this a ef or el ? -

ef and el bem are not interchangeable due to different plugs -

how many plugs to bem - is it same as your old one ie.part no.-what colour is it -post pic of plugs....

did you just bridge new lights from original interior lights -
remove your sunvisors and A-pillar trims as it was common to pinch wiring -

have you checked for alarm or bonnet switch or if boot light stays on with boot closed (can be linked if it did have alarm) - disconnect add on lights incase earth is feeding from switch in lights to control circuit.........

did the system work ok with new lights and BEM that was fitted -reason for asking is if it is ef bem the wiring location between a low & mid series BEM compared to hi series BEM have some wires in different location including the switch wire(low & mid =A11-hi BEM =A10) but all el BEM's have same configuration
-------------------------------------
disconnect BEM -test light to power -
remove drivers door switch probe wire if light is on check switch circuits- if off should come on when you open other doors -

check interior light black/blue circuits with test light still on power at light and bem disconnected -if on check circuits between lights and BEM
Attachment:
ImmobilisationISG modified.pdf
Attachment:
ImmobilisationISG modified.pdf

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

All fixed, it was a pinched black/blue wire on the passenger side rear door pillar where the cables run on the side it was pinched. Took the auto elec 7 days to find and cost $530. :(
Cost a s**t load but least it's fixed, thank you for the help and input guys

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2