Fordmods Logo

electric windows 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: electric windows
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hi guys, i was wondering if any of you may have replaced the electric window master switch in a eb & replaced it with custom switches?? if so, is there any chance you might give me a link for a wiring diagram?? thanks for your time

Post subject: Re: electric windows
Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xe falcon

New Zealand

remove switch look at circuit board u will probally find dry solder join resolder board windows will probally work unless u have bad window reg motot

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Am thinking of doing this. Mainly cos I hate the crap layout of E series window switches so am going to replace them. Would like to find a three way switch that is sexy and make a new console bit to suit.

Could use "on/off" switches so you have one button for up and another button for down. But then what would happen if you pushed both buttons at the same time by accident? Oooops, fuses or smoke from door panel...?!

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Wiring diagram for EF EL EB ED Electric Window...

Yes, it LOOKS simple to change the switches to some other version (mainly for aesthetics). Have a look at top right of the above diagram. SIMPLE...

All you are doing is to reverse polarity to a DC motor via the UP or DOWN buttons.

But, after spending three hours on this just now, it is proving to be bloody complicated. If you have ever pulled apart a switch mechanism from the four door power window car you would have noticed the way the switches toggle. Well, blow me down with a pitchfork, but it ain't straight.

Ford could have made the switches simple, but then perhaps you could have only operated one window at a time without running much more cable. Obviously, in an electronic sense, they have done well. Pity they just didn't make the edge connector twice as long, put twice as many pins in it and simply had a bunch of cables that you could reverse polarity and win.

In this instance I give up and direct all enquires regarding such to SNAP.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have BA illuminated switches in my console...

post999224.html#p999224

Photos are rough... But the template I made allowed for 4 switches...

The issue as Tony may have found... Always use toggles to avoid smoke... But they wired so that is the master is pressed up and the slave in the back door is pressed down then smoke doesn't happen... This is why the wiring is a mess and why I fitted only futura door trims to avoid this complication... (Couldn't care is rear passengers need to exert some elbow effort, usually don't have rear passengers anyway)...

Here is the BA switch I used...

Attachment:
BA Ghia Window Switch Universal Wiring.JPG
BA Ghia Window Switch Universal Wiring.JPG [ 47.15 KiB | Viewed 465 times ]

Happy to help out if you guys get stuck... Just remember the above pointers and keep the wiring factory...

Maybe you guys can tell me, with the factory switches, if the driver presses up and the rear seat passenger presses down, who wins? Nobody? Window sits still?

Only thing I thought is that the front windows should override rear windows for obnoxious kids... Even if you turn off the rear window switches and the rear button is held down the front buttons pressed nothing will happen...

The system could be made better with individual wiring... but does take some nutting out... Not impossible though... To make it perfect (in my opinion) would take re-wiring the body loom too...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah, no one wins when arguing with the switches in Fairmont style four door systems. Unless you turn the little buggers controls off (of course!)

Am now trying to put the illuminated door handle master switch from a 2006 B series into the old EF Futura. Should have done it your way form the outset, and used some cool switches from JayCar or wherever. But hey, have not seen your thread in quite a while, so cheers ears! Happy viewing. Thanks.

Just in case someone finds it useful, for whatever reason...

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Still trying to find a correct wiring diagram for the pinouts of the BA master switch from 2005 front drivers door.

Anyone help?!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]