Factory Fitted EL Car Alarm Works Though Has No Sound 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Factory Fitted EL Car Alarm Works Though Has No Sound
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hey guys,

I just got my hands on an EL Fairmont V8 and been playing around with it.

It has a factory fitted alarm that I would love to use. The kind with the keyhole under the bonnet where you can select on/off/test.

I switch it to "on" and it seems to work, though has no sound? No chirps or siren - nothing :(

I know it works because I opened the window, locked the car with the window open, then reached in and opened the door, which made the hazards flash.

Please help my poor mute alarm find its voice. It's kind of pointless without the sound as the car already has an imobiliser, so all the alarm is adding is the siren and cool chirpy sounds.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Factory Fitted EL Car Alarm Works Though Has No Sound
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Siren is probably broken after years of use.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hmmm, it could be lots of things. Doesn't necessarily mean it's broken. The rest of it seems to work fine, so there's a chance.

I read another post on here about an EF factory alarm and it wasn't clear, though I think the alarm runs solely on the backup battery, which is probably dead by now.

I think if you put it on test mode, it runs from the car's power. It's less secure, though will let me know if the siren works and if there is a point in replacing the battery.

Pretty sure I already tried this, though apparently you need to lock/unlock twice for it to kick in? Will try it out tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm about the backup battery running the siren and the test mode?

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I Think you may find that the siren may have failed. my back up battery is dead and the siren still works..

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

should be a module tucked high under left side kick panel - check earth is secure - this module is what triggers hazards and circuit to siren - you could remove siren and hazards will still operate - siren should sound in test mode from back up battery - off is obvious - on position siren should trigger when alarm is triggered even with a faulty back up battery - turn ignition to reds before disconnecting plug at siren - check connections at plug - check for siren signal when alarm is activated - check voltage of battery is approx. 12 volts - have tested at batteryworld -or replace - if someone has been playing siren may think it has not been connected yet with faulty battery ? -reds on to reconnect off to test system -if still no siren replace if you like disturbing your neighbours !

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]