Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Falcon EF 96 Gli electrical mirrors moving only to right
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford Falcon EF 1996 Gli

NSW, Australia

Hello!

Changed my FR door and both mirrors. Connected all the wiring and when I wanted to adjust mirrors they only moved to the right (not both at the same time). If the fuse would have been blown, they wouldn't move at all? New door had electrical window, which i changed to manual, this shouldn't make any difference? Tried adjusting mirrors with different button, still the same. Checked over the wires, they all seemed ok.

Post subject: Re: Falcon EF 96 Gli electrical mirrors moving only to right
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If it's not the little joystick it's unlikely to be the wiring... They seem prone to jamming up or similar... I am unsure if you can get them apart to service the moving mechanism... If not you'd be up for a new mirror (or good secondhand unit)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
If it's not the little joystick it's unlikely to be the wiring... They seem prone to jamming up or similar... I am unsure if you can get them apart to service the moving mechanism... If not you'd be up for a new mirror (or good secondhand unit)...

Cheers,
Tim

Mirrors are brand new, changed left one few days earlier, then both (new left and old right) mirrors were ok and moving left-right, up-down. I actually suspect that while trying to fit new door in either sth happaned with the wires attached to the door or to the car. Is there some way to make certain which one of the connectors is loose or faulty?

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Pull the switch out and you should a purple with a red tracer and a black... These should be power and earth respectively... There is one red wire and you should a circuit between this wire and the red wire in the mirror plugs in both doors...

Then you will have two purple and two blue wires... One purple and one blue go to the driver door mirror plug and the other purple and blue go the other door... Purple is either up/down motor or left/right motor and blue is the other... red is common between the motors... If you prove continuity between the joystick plug ans mirror plugs you will have some idea what's happening...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Pull the switch out and you should a purple with a red tracer and a black... These should be power and earth respectively... There is one red wire and you should a circuit between this wire and the red wire in the mirror plugs in both doors...

Then you will have two purple and two blue wires... One purple and one blue go to the driver door mirror plug and the other purple and blue go the other door... Purple is either up/down motor or left/right motor and blue is the other... red is common between the motors... If you prove continuity between the joystick plug ans mirror plugs you will have some idea what's happening...

Cheers,
Tim

Oh man, nice. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow after work and let you know how it went.
Cheers!

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey!

Sorry i haven't replied sooner but I found the cause of my problem, at least i hope i did. Seems that when i attached left side mirror one of the wires got damaged, which then got contact with car body and that caused two of my mirror adjusting "joystick" circuit boards to burn out. Image At least i can't find any other reason for it.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That would have something to do with it! You may be able to solder a wire bridge across the burnt section...

Good find!

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]