Fordmods Logo

ford fairlane v8 issue please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: ford fairlane v8 issue please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hello, have a big problem with car, got a new starter motor fitted last week, battery was flat when i got car, back, charged battery for 4 hours a day later, battery lasted afew days, than as i was driving all the lights in and out of the car went dark, dash board lights are flashing on and off,like i lost all power? cant start the engine, plus theres ticking noises coming from under the dash? do i have a big electrical problem? please help me

Post subject: Re: ford fairlane v8 issue please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 V8 DL LTD

NSW, Australia

Hey had same problem with my Fairlane , have u checked the starter connections they can be touching each other or touching something else , when u charged battery did u disconnect it , also try this when charge has finished on car reconnect terminals turn the key to reds & let it sit for about 30 mins & then start car . what model is it

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hello,

yes battery was disconnected to charge for 4 hours, the starter motor is new? do i still have to check? and whats the ticking sound coming from under the dash, its causing all the lights to go on and off in the dash?

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Is it a new battery though? - if its dropped a cell, this can happen.

I had this. New Battery fixed it for good

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Is it a new battery though? - if its dropped a cell, this can happen.

I had this. New Battery fixed it for good

Hello its around two years old, does a bad cell cause all the electrics and relays to play up thus causing me not being able to start the car?

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bad cell means you get around 11-12 v instead of 13-14v. The starter doesnt get enough current and the electrics "collapse". But that also seems more like a generally dead battery.

2 years is a good life for a falcon battery in most cases - especially cheap ones. Less if its LPG

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

G'day again, so you recon its the battery for sure? its a repco battery yes your right it is a lpg motor, so a bad battery will cause ticking under dash? instruments lights to play up, eg off and on, can't accelerate, and engine to cut out? and won't start again, whats the reason for all this, cant the alternator accept a bad battery? and is why I have all these problems?

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Not guaranteeing its the battery, however the dash will start clicking like you describe if you try and crank with a dead battery. They're like that. If t fails it might be able to just give you enough power, but not enough to start. When you try and start it will just die. Also. 4 hrs is t nescessarily a lOng time to charge

I've rarely had a battery last more than 2.5 years in an LPG 6. A v8 is worse. They get killed by heat

RACQ or nrma or local roadside assist can check the battery for you on-site anyway as well as the charge

Alternator won't have issues with failed battery's - except perhaps speeding up the failure after it happens

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I use a century - they have one designed for high heat engines from memory. Also a 3 yr warranty?

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Check all your earths, particularly the one from the motor to chassis.

Gab

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:13 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Which one do you have from the below?

This one, Repco High Performance

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

So from the symptoms I describe, everyone agrees I need a new battery and I won't have a problem?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Um, no.

From everything above - everyone is saying that it sounds exactly like your battery is the problem.

But - Noone is saying that they guarantee it. We cant. Even a mechanic wont - they'll run some tests (Do you remember me saying your local roadside people can do that), diagnose the problem (or the first broken thing), and help you out there.

I mean, hell, I think I know a fair bit about the e-series and x-series, but I also have no idea about the state of the rest of your electrical system, or if youve done something else silly beforehand.

Personally - first check might have been "Can I jump start this" - if so, then your looking like you have a battery problem. You can then drive to your local battery place (Supercheap, and Autobarn used to have on-site battery testers as well) and get them to do that part of it.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:43 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ok I tell you my story,

went to the city, came back to the car, brake fail light came on, got tow truck, auto elect hit starter motor to get car going he said replace it, next day got it replaced, pick up car a week later, got in car, car wont start, but i hear solenoid ticking, tells me battery is flat, got a jump start from mech, car starts up straight away, i drive to repco, manager tests batt we put it on charge for just over 4 hours, car runs great for around 3 days, then late afternoon on the 3rd day, as I am driving all of a sudden, dash lights go dim, car feels like its stalling I lose all power, ticking from under dash, dash lights are turning off and on, and then i stop at coles and turn car off, car wont turn on again, and all i get now is ticking from starter motor and slow wipers and slow central locking, everything is slow,sluggish seems to me I have a faulty battery?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK - see this is a lot more story than we started with.

Firstly - Charge the battery. Seriously. If you charge it fully (couple of hours - with a good charger/overnight with a crap one) and it starts, then youve got other problems. Not related to brake fail

Then we might be looking at the alternator (you didnt want to hear that)..... If it does start, but only just, then you still might be looking at a collapsed battery.

It sounds like you may need to go see an auto electrician. They can diagnose both alternator, battery, or wiring at the same time.

Nigel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next