Fordmods Logo

Ford Falcon Gli (EL) slow to pick up and backfires. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford Falcon Gli (EL) slow to pick up and backfires.
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL falcon gli

VIC, Australia

I'm left scratching my head after doing a basic tune up on this car. I have recently replaced spark plugs/leads and the coil was replaced not more than 6 months ago since it was slow to pick up and Its doing it again now but backfiring. The engine would rev up slowly and still no acceleration when revving loud. We have recently purchased a distributor cap and rotor arm for it but have not yet installed it since we might have to re-time the engine afterwards. And I couldn't find the notch on the stock Bosch distributor or to turn the engine by hand. Engine revs are very responsive when the car is in neutural with new spark leads from Drive Force but car still struggles to pick up on driving and also backfires after a while of driving. Firing Order is correct.

Also, which snorkel is best for the EL Falcon GLI? I'm looking for one that just bolts on but don't mind doing modifications to allow new snorkel to sit in properly. I have seen snorkels from EL GT, AU XR8, and BA/BF XR6 and XR8. I'm thinking of doing a minor mod/ upgrade on intake system with either of those snorkels and K&N filter. Only problem is directing cold air to the snorkel.

Previous spark plugs are Bosch that was inserted in November. I have also bought a new distributor cap and rotor arm for it from Autobarn. Brand is Fuel Miser and new spark leads are from Drive Force.

I just checked the on-board diagnostics computer.

Thank you in advance.....

Last edited by ken_D on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ford Falcon Gli (EL) slow to pick up and backfires.
Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

From what iv read you haven't checked the timing? Check it with a timing light and make sure the 2 pins on the diagnostics plug are bridged, jst search if you don't know what I mean.

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]