Head Lights and Tail Lights Blinking 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Head Lights and Tail Lights Blinking
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

G'day
I have found my car (Ford LTD 1989 DA) with the T. and H. lights blinking as if some one had opened the boot or pulled a door handle. I don't know how often it's happening but I have had flat battery about 4 or 5 times this year. I have changed battery and been to the auto electrician twice and found nothing wrong with it.

Would it be a faulty smart lock?

Thanks for any replies.

Post subject: Re: Head Lights and Tail Lights Blinking
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Your LTD didn't come with a smartlock. Wasn't introduced until late 1992. I haven't worked on an LTD of this era but I would question whether it was equipped with illumination for the front and rear of vehicle after exiting the vehicle. I would suspect the body control module or headlight switch. Does the car have an after market alarm system. Some installers have been known to connect alarm to headlights instead of blinkers.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
Your LTD didn't come with a smartlock. Wasn't introduced until late 1992. I haven't worked on an LTD of this era but I would question whether it was equipped with illumination for the front and rear of vehicle after exiting the vehicle. I would suspect the body control module or headlight switch. Does the car have an after market alarm system. Some installers have been known to connect alarm to headlights instead of blinkers.

Thank you for your answer alfy12.

The car has no alarm but if you open the boot or pull a door handle, when the car is locked with the fob, the head lights and tail lights would blink for about 45 seconds.

If the car is locked with the key fob a little red LED is flashing on the dash board. I can open the door with the key, but it won't start unless I unlock it with the fob, so, I thought that was called smart lock.

Now I'm more confused than before.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

alfy12 wrote:

The High series had a body module similar to a later smartlocks that provided the delayed exit and entry illumination this is possible faulty it is mounted above the handbrake assembly.

You can check the front doors (external) door handles they had switches that triggered the illumination when pulling on the door handle. The swich may need to be adjusted or disconnected. My EA Fairmont Ghia had these. This would be the first thing to check try diconnecting these and see if the problem goes away.

Factory Specifications are Optional

1988 EA Fairmont Ghia Retired after 11yrs
1999 AU Fairmont Written off :(
2003 BA XR6 Written off :(
2001 AU Falcon - Run around
2005 SY Territory Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]