HID ballast failure - low beams cutting out 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: HID ballast failure - low beams cutting out
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: xhII xr6

VIC, Australia

Aha that makes so much more sense, thanks for the picture mad, really helped with working out what was going on

Timmy your right, my drawing not showing internals made it confusing. I'm gonna go clean the shed out, pending that I'll tackle this today.

Flast function is rare, i dont think that infrequent use of it would kill the ballast, even tho the HID kit is a s**t cheap one. I ordered two more s**t ebay ballasts thursday so they should arrive monday. For 22$ delivered it's worth a try.

It is interesting that the switch is make before break; that resolves my problem with the HIDs switching on and off, and simplifies the entire exercise.

let ya know how it goes,
ev

Build Thread : The Sleepy Grey Ute

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ps just realised if i need to flash someone i can just wmswitch on my headlights on low, then flash with high...

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

seems to be a bit of conflict depending on which diagrams are used, the relin diagram for xh that I used shows power switching and constant earth at relay,and different colour wires - doesn't matter- bridging red/yellow wire to orange low beam circuit will turn low beam on when main switch is turned on (by-passing dipper swich low beam) hi beam and flash will work as normal,all still thru original relays

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

As what Ted says too...

I just didn't want to try and modify the wiring under the dash and add more plugs or joins... So I found it easier to modify inside the AU relay box out in the engine bay...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

the ellery book shows same as the EA/ED factory manual i have .. so its earth switched

someone on here did a small mod so they removed/limited their hids turning on-off-on time ... just dont remember who it was :|

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Didn't get onto this today, installed a tool box and spare tyre holder on my trailer instead. Tomorrow morning...

I am going to look at teds way by bridging the red-yellow wire to orange wire because it doesn't have the same problem with the flash. If i have to remove too much of the dash ill just do the relay fix.

mad from what Timmy was saying the dipper switch turns on the highs before cutting the lows. I cant confirm its the same on my xh without my new ballast.. So will have to wait till,next week...

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

connected as indicated low beam doesn't loose circuit at all when headlight switch is on irrespective of dipper switch position because dipper switch no longer controls low beam on and off the headlight switch does.
- while your waiting on your ballast you can test with a test light across the original low beam wire that has been connected to your ballast at the low beam headlight ...red/black wire.........should get power when headlights are turned on ............

it may be easier to bridge the dip switch wiring itself but make sure to get the matching wires to loom wires ?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Got this sorted yesterday, I bridged the red/yellow earth wire from the headlight switch to the orange earth wire that goes from the dipper switch to low beam relay. Everything works as it should and I can still flash with the highbeams without headlights being switched on.

thanks again for the surplus of advice and drawings to everyone who posted. Such a simple solution to the problem!

also now the low beams are constant my ballasts are working. I will still swap in the new ones when they arrive.

cheers,
ev

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2