Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: HID Kit
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

"Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore likely to be excessively glary to other road users."
got that from http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/ca ... headlights

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No such thing as a self cleaning bulb.

Auto leveling is for the lights, not the car.
The washers are generally a high pressure wash, not like your windscreen washers, to clean dirt off the headlight.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:

Auto leveling is for the lights, not the car.
The washers are generally a high pressure wash, not like your windscreen washers, to clean dirt off the headlight.

Yep, this.

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

self cleaning bulbs? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. And also, f**k the ADRs. If we all complied by them, our cars would be mostly stock.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au 1 tonner

VIC, Australia

ppl there are other options in different bulbs phillips + series can give you 50 to 80% more light led fog ights like the comonbores use lots of options

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

martinp wrote:
ppl there are other options in different bulbs phillips + series can give you 50 to 80% more light led fog ights like the comonbores use lots of options

lol. they aren't anywhere near as good as HIDs

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

HIDs in reflectors designed for a halogen light source don't output a clean well shaped light, as the light source is fundamentally different. So I would argue that the 'plus' bulbs are better.

I laugh when people go buy HIDs, then "adjust down" their lights so they don't blind anyone.
The thing you're missing is that with that much bright light near your car, your pupils are actually contracted and your night vision beyond the front of your car is heavily affected.
It's like driving on a dark stretch of road with your interior light on.
So by fitting HIDs you're actually making it worse for yourself.

Google Daniel Stern, he has some great information about retrofitting HID in to halogen headlights.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
Google Daniel Stern, he has some great information about retrofitting HID in to halogen headlights.

do you mean

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
HIDs in reflectors designed for a halogen light source don't output a clean well shaped light, as the light source is fundamentally different. So I would argue that the 'plus' bulbs are better.

I laugh when people go buy HIDs, then "adjust down" their lights so they don't blind anyone.
The thing you're missing is that with that much bright light near your car, your pupils are actually contracted and your night vision beyond the front of your car is heavily affected.

k. lol.
I noticed a vast improvement when fitted the HIDs to my Laser. H4 only globes in the headlight as hi/low can only do so much

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[quote="MAD"]
So by fitting HIDs you're actually making it worse for yourself. [quote]

this statement here. Is a load of s**t. Selling my Laser so I pulled the HIDs out and fitted some Phillips 4000k H4 Halogens. According to the packet they're meant to give of 50% more light or some s**t.
LOL. Compared to 6000k HIDs they f**k suck. Gotta use my high beams driving up my street. Whereas with HIDs it's low beam all the way

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
MAD wrote:

this statement here. Is a load of s**t. Selling my Laser so I pulled the HIDs out and fitted some Phillips 4000k H4 Halogens. According to the packet they're meant to give of 50% more light or some s**t.
LOL. Compared to 6000k HIDs they f**k suck. Gotta use my high beams driving up my street. Whereas with HIDs it's low beam all the way

That's a great story.
Did you re-adjust your headlights after fitting the replacement globes?

You know high beams are there to be used right? They're not just for warning people of a speed camera.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
MAD wrote:
Quote:

what kinda light ARE the phillips??

i prefer the 'standard' 90/130 instead of the 'standard' 50/65 [? or is 55/65??], any brighter & i rekon it wuld 'blind' people! :shock:

why use 55W??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70W-H4-Hi-Lo-HID-Kit-Toyota-Hilux-SR5-Dual-Cab-Single-King-Surf-Forerunner-4WD-/300722461318?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4604749a86

or maybe 100W??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HB3-9005-HID-Kit-100W-in-6000K-or-4300K-Melbourne-Seller-12-month-warranty-/290675724519?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ad9f90e7

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford EL

VIC, Australia

I got my HIDs and i installed them and they are sick:), so much better the piss yellow lights hahaha,

Also i aimed them down and they do not shine as much into oncoming traffic and i havent been flashed once yet.

I really like them and thanks to all the people who helped me:)

Ps How do i upload my pic as its 1.3mb and the limit is 500kb?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

CrACk InjECtIoN wrote:
Ps How do i upload my pic as its 1.3mb and the limit is 500kb?

try photobucket.com

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
89.SVO wrote:
MAD wrote:

That's a great story.
Did you re-adjust your headlights after fitting the replacement globes?

You know high beams are there to be used right? They're not just for warning people of a speed camera.

nope. never had to adjust them. was one flashed once with the HIDs

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next