Fordmods Logo

Highout put Alternator 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Highout put Alternator
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I am in the market for a 200amp+ alternator for my 2006 bf falcon.

It has a very large sound system, the big 3, optima d34 and i am about to go bigger, so need a new alternator.

First off i am not interested in getting my alternator rewound.

I am after a way to get a after market alt like a mechman, dc power, iraggi, cvr or exessive amperage to work on the barra 4.0l

Does anyone know of someone in perth that would be able to fabricate me a custom bracket and do all the work required to get a alternator designed for a different car to work on mine.

I have done some of my own looked around and have come up quite empty.

Post subject: Re: Highout put Alternator
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I have heard rumors well just read on BA2EAs thread there is a 200amp BA alternator for the police vehicles not sure how true that is though

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

They probably just have a stock alt that has been upgraded.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hardscript wrote:

well that is the mod we need to look for direct bolt on and if its 200 amp that shall be sufferant well one can hope

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Hardscript wrote:

well that is the mod we need to look for direct bolt on and if its 200 amp that shall be sufferant well one can hope

My point was you can rewind your alternator and it will put out more than the stock which is probably what they did.

Anyway back onto the main subject, which is where i can find someone to fabricate me a mounting bracket.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

QLD, Australia

I found it almost impossible to put a larger alternator on my Ef falcon. I started looking at Delco truck alternators because they are available all over the country. The problem i found was mounting size and trying to match the operating RPM would mean you are over-speeding the alternator at high engine RPM by trying to get the alternator to output at low engine RPM.

How much power do you actually use ?

If you don't have already go and buy a DC current clamp. Good quality accurate models are quite cheap at retailers like jaycar. Work out just how much power you need. In my experience stereos don't draw anywhere near as much power as people claim.

If you think you need more power first upgrade your reserve current. i was running 11000rms of power daily in my EF Falcon and for a long time the standard falcon alternator was coping okay. I have 4 d34 yellow tops in the spare tyre well.

When i decide i wanted to get serious i got 3 EF Fairmont alternators and rebuilt them myself. I used Delta wound stators for more current and removed the voltage sense circuit so i could control the charge voltage and therefore current. I then replace the Gli alternator and slung the other two off the block on the left hand side of the motor where the ac compressor was. With the bracket i made the car has one extra idler pulley from a Toyota so it is easy to replace and it uses a stock BA XR8 multi rib belt. I now can pull over 400 amps at 2500 engine RPM. The bracket was hard to get right and a lot of work went into modifying the other parts on the engine like heater hoses. I will try and find some pics when i get home tonight.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]