how to reset ef air bag warning light 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: how to reset ef air bag warning light
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ford falcon

NSW, Australia

ok tryed to reset air bag warning light followed the instuctions 4th pin in from top left connected to bottom left eng ground ,,flashes are flash pause 2 flashes indicates code 12 ..ok tryed this turned key on ignition lights on conected the ground as above waited nothing, no beeps after a bout 30 sec the the light stays on wtf .ok is this the right procedure if so how long do u have to wait till u hear the 4 beeps ..if the procedure is wrong please explain ..if u can provide step by step procedure im all ears if its wrong than the write up on the tech doc is bull s**t ..last resort have to take the car to ford..URGENT please any help would be greatly apreciated

Post subject: Re: how to reset ef air bag warning light
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

blade007 wrote:
ok tryed to reset air bag warning light followed the instuctions 4th pin in from top left connected to bottom left eng ground ,,flashes are flash pause 2 flashes indicates code 12 ..ok tryed this turned key on ignition lights on conected the ground as above waited nothing, no beeps after a bout 30 sec the the light stays on wtf .ok is this the right procedure if so how long do u have to wait till u hear the 4 beeps ..if the procedure is wrong please explain ..if u can provide step by step procedure im all ears if its wrong than the write up on the tech doc is bull s**t ..last resort have to take the car to ford..URGENT please any help would be greatly apreciated

When you turn ignition on don't connect earth straight away let it cycle the code once than connect it.
So connect top pin then turn key and after it flashes 1 pause than flashes the 2 times connect it now and that should clear that code. If the light shows another code repeat until light goes away.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Also if there are multiple codes you will need to clear each one individually. Took me 4-5 goes to clear all mine, just keep at it. But as posted above, let it finish flashing the code before you try to clear it or it won't work.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

....so u turn ign on wait for the code to apear ie flashes ect then as soon as the light goes out after the last flash u connect the earth wire and then wait for a beep or do u pull the wire out and do it all again till u hear the beep ect

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok yeah sorry about last post ill follow your instuctions and have another go at it i think i know where i went wrong i was thinking that it beebs for every code that gets cleared .so it beeps when all codes are cleared ..ok

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

blade007 wrote:
ok yeah sorry about last post ill follow your instuctions and have another go at it i think i know where i went wrong i was thinking that it beebs for every code that gets cleared .so it beeps when all codes are cleared ..ok

Turn ignition on after the code reads out once connect earth, it will beep I tell you its cleared then turn ignition off and remove earth. Turn ignition back on and see if you have another code and if so repeat process.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yep done that turned ign on waited for the codes to show connected the earth waited.no beep if thats the sequence i think it might not be earthed out as if u leave it connected the light stays on after a while or so, reading the air bag doco it says the monitor has timed out .i am earthing it to the bottom left pin which is the eng earth might try and connect it to another earth see if that works ...roughly how long does it take to sound the beep so if i hear nothing i know there a issue with it .sorry to keep this going but i wana make sure im doing it the right way thanks

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok tryed it again same result with wire ready turned ign on waited for it to flash pause flash,flash then connected it to earth waited nothing no beeps it still continues its flashing the code 12 with the wire still conected after about say 20 seconds or so the light stays on solid its got me completly f**k the only thing i can think of is the air bag module might be f**k i did put a test light on the air bag pin no power what so ever any ideas . :?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yeah sorry again for keeping this going like the previous post i dont know why its not reseting spoke to a friend that works at ford (mechanic) he said exacly what u guys have said wait for the code to show wait for it to turn off then earth out the air bag clear pin should sound a beep then turn car off it sounds easy enough but what do u do ah .he also said i may have a problem with the module or a bad connection somwhere its any ones guess any way ill dissconnect the battery and check all the wireing connection under the dash i may yet have to drop it in to ford maybe it somthing that cant be fixed by doing this reset .but if any ane has any more ideas keep then comin thanks again for the info :D

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Just out of interest, does your car beep at you if you leave the headlights on?
I ask because from what you've posted you're doing it correctly but not hearing a beep.
Perhaps the speaker that sounds the beeps and waning tones in the cluster isn't working?

dc_todd wrote:

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

checked it with lights on, it works .im going to let it go for a while other wise il end up hitting it with a hammer im fresh out of ideas, from what the work shop manual and from what ford say and you guys it should have beeped and reset . i know im missing somthing maybe a connection or the module might be rooted ah well s**t happens ah :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok iv been trying for a while to reset this air bag light .iv followed the procedure to the letter still no luck. had a fish with my test light found that there is no power from the 4th pin what soever I probed around found that the only pin that has power when ign is on is the 6th pin so maybe it might be this one maybe ef gli have a different connection than the later mods ?

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

blade007 wrote:
ok iv been trying for a while to reset this air bag light .iv followed the procedure to the letter still no luck. had a fish with my test light found that there is no power from the 4th pin what soever I probed around found that the only pin that has power when ign is on is the 6th pin so maybe it might be this one maybe ef gli have a different connection than the later mods ?

Nope, mine's a GLi at heart and I used the procedure above to clear the codes. My guess is you need to rectify whatever fault is giving you the warning, then clear it. Or as you have no power to that pin there may be a fault there also.
Check the airbag tech docs for the codes.

http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=2

http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=51 not sure if this still works though, haven't used it in years.

dc_todd wrote:

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hi mate yeah from your last post I have done the reset procedure on another ef future it does work but on my gli for the life of me it wont reset ,,going back to when I purchased the car for the turbo upgrade I was planning an have done ,it did have the steering wheel droped down to it lowest position via the adjusting lever I don't know if this was or is the cause of the light coming on maybe the connection for the clock spring ect was disturbed .another thing is the car runs down the battery after 4 days of sitting from a full charge the guys at battery world said it may have a bad alternator ,earthing out and slowly draining the battery .guy at ford said usaly if there is a power interruption or a short it can cause the air bag light to com on hence the code 12 .to save some head aches Im going to take it up to battery world to see if they can find the problem if no luck il book it into ford at blactown for a diagnostic ..I didn't want to do it but have no more options at least I will find out what the prob is in case it happens again ,,but thaks heaps for all the sugestions and info much apreciated :D

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 XR6 Ford Falcon

New Zealand

Hey I just tried this now it works, thank you everyone. I did what Blade exactly did and had no luck, This is what I did:

1. Attach 1 end of the wire to the air bag clear memory pin (top row from the left it is the 4th pin)
2. Turn ignition switch on
3. Wait for all flashing codes to complete/stop flashing
4. Attach the other wire end to ground (note make sure this is grounded)
5. You will hear 5-6 audible beeps and the code is cleared, remove the grounded wire immediately
6. Turn the ignition on and the codes are cleared

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next