Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

:lol: what cracker

subject title gave it anyway its a common problem

My Fairmont

Post subject: Re: Indicator ticking too fast! WTF?!?
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Just a high jack with a similar problem. The EB xr8 indicators are flashing normally but when the trailer is connected(Hans galvanized 7 x5)it flashes its tits off. I looked at the lights and noticed the trailer has LEDs so I am assuming this is throwing the cars indicators off. Do I replace the flasher can or is there something else that has to go on the plug for the trailer?

Hooroo

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Just a high jack with a similar problem. The EB xr8 indicators are flashing normally but when the trailer is connected(Hans galvanized 7 x5)it flashes its tits off. I looked at the lights and noticed the trailer has LEDs so I am assuming this is throwing the cars indicators off. Do I replace the flasher can or is there something else that has to go on the plug for the trailer?

Hooroo

yeah the leds are doing it ..... i replaced my car flasher with one specific for leds coz i replaced all mine with em

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Just to clarify, it is an ADR requirement that the flasher goes faster with a blown globe to let the driver know. A LED uses less power than a normal globe, which is why they flash faster. Many people fit a different flasher to make them go at the correct speed.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Just to clarify, it is an ADR requirement that the flasher goes faster with a blown globe to let the driver know. A LED uses less power than a normal globe, which is why they flash faster. Many people fit a different flasher to make them go at the correct speed.

are you sure??

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

No it is not.

Simply it flashes faster due to there being less load on the flasher can. That's the only reason.
Why the f**k would they have an ADR for blinkers to flash faster so the driver knows its blown but have nothing for brake lights not working or having a headlight out?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Look up ADR13 and then tell / show me I am wrong !

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It seems a but quiet..... http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/docum ... -Relay.pdf Just for those who doubt. ( page 4 ) As for headlights, how hard is it to see they are not working ? And back in the 70's some Mazda's had a buzzer to warn of brake light failure. Not yet an ADR though.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Look up ADR13 and then tell / show me I am wrong !

if ya hada looked at the link ya supplied on page 7 [?]

Australian Design Rules (ADR13)

In Australia since 1990, motor vehicle manufacturers have had to comply with ADR13 which is a legal requirement
for flasher relays to incorporate outage or bulb failure indication. Outage style flashers are designed to double the
flash rate and frequency of audibility in the event of bulb failure to indicate to the driver that the turn signal is not
operating. Outage style flasher relays or load sensitive relays are an ADR requirement and have been utilised by
European vehicle manufacturers since the early 1980’s. Tridon style outage flasher relays are detailed in the Tridon
electronic flasher range.All Tridon flashers are designed to meet or exceed O.E, D.O.T, S.A.E, FMVSS and ADR specifications

far as i know the 'flasher' units have always flashed faster when a globe has blown

ADR 13—Installation of Lighting and Light-signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify requirements for the number and mode of installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on motor vehicles other than L-group vehicles.

2. content and effect of ADR 13/00 and amendments
2.1. Overview of the ADR

ADR 13/00 provides requirements for the layout and installation of vehicle lighting systems for four wheeled road vehicles and trailers. This includes requirements for the number and mode of installation of lamps for direction indicators, position, stop, reversing, parking and retroreflectors for all road vehicles (other than two and three wheeled motor vehicles) and main-beam/dipped-beam headlamps, fog, driving, hazard warning signals, daytime running and corning lamps for four wheeled motor vehicles.

Its technical content is based on internationally accepted United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) standards. ADR 13 works in conjunction with several other ADRs including; ADR 46 Headlamps, ADR 51 Filament Lamps, ADR 77 Gas Discharge Headlamps and ADR 78 Gas Discharge Light Sources.

didn't find out much re ADR 13 & what it's requirements are :roll:

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well f**k me you learn something new everyday.
Seems somewhat stupid but I have been proven wrong.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon BA 2004

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:

Hooroo

yeah the leds are doing it ..... i replaced my car flasher with one specific for leds coz i replaced all mine with em

I don't see how adding an additional set of led lights by connecting the trailer would cause the blinkers to flash faster if all the cars indicators are still working there is no reduction on the ammount of current being used. Sounds more like an earth problem on the trailer to me

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
Why the f**k would they have an ADR for blinkers to flash faster so the driver knows its blown but have nothing for brake lights not working or having a headlight out?

Matt_jew wrote:

Just to add to your pain..
The Fairlanes have the 'Bulb out' indicator on the LCD from the EF's on for the brake lights. :)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:
Matt_jew wrote:

Matt_jew wrote:

Just to add to your pain..
The Fairlanes have the 'Bulb out' indicator on the LCD from the EF's on for the brake lights. :)

Your not adding to my pain at all.
That's old news about the lanes having bulb out indicators. XY Falcons had them available from memory.
I was passing comment on why would you have an ADR for blinkers but not for brake lights.
Points given for attempt to be a a*** , but points removed in the execution.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Cobra427 wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:

Hooroo

I don't see how adding an additional set of led lights by connecting the trailer would cause the blinkers to flash faster if all the cars indicators are still working there is no reduction on the ammount of current being used. Sounds more like an earth problem on the trailer to me

Had the earth checked on the trailer yesterday and all is well. Installed a flasher can for LED lights and has fixed the problem. It is a narva item and senses load drop in the circuit and compensates when the indicators are turned on. There is a mod also where you put a resistor pack in each of the left and right lights on your trailer which will also stop the faster flashing. The manufacturer of the trailer did the work and both car and trailer are in tip top condition...for the sake of $12 for the flasher can, it has restored my sanity! Fickle things older cars when coupled to new age technology...

Thanks for the replies.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It is law as well as manners to use indicators. I was turning at a round-about in a work car ( Holden ) and the front globe went out. A cruiser was coming the other way, and we almost met. Now I had used them, but there would be other scenarios where a serious accident could occur. Globes can fail for a number of reasons, a water leak can cause the glass to crack, cheap ones dont last long and a corroded or dirty contact can cause them to be intermittent. A failed globe can have the filament touch and weld itself together and work again.

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3