Fordmods Logo

Instrument cluster problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Instrument cluster problem
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon ef xr6

NSW, Australia

Hi all... I recently became the new owner of an ef xr6 manual which I'm very happy about! The other day I tried to wire in a trip computer from an el fairmont following the intructions to the word in resources and now my temp gauges doesn't work and my tachometer is reading inaccurately. I ran a diagnostic on the cluster and it's saying the temperature it's getting is 30 degrees and that at idle which is presumably around 7-800rpm is only 4-500rpm? I checked all the wiring and connections and there bang on.. I haven't had a chance to check all the fuses but everything is still working bar these! I'm completely at a loss to what happened.. And the bloody trip computer still doesn't work haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster problem
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Have you unplugged the computer ? First place to look. It may be faulty, or you have made a mistake and there is a wiring fault.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You've upset the data lines somewhere...

The data on these cars runs from the computer to the cluster and then out of the cluster on a different pin to the trip computer...

The cluster is getting the wrong info as the info wire to it from the computer sends it temp and tach and gear information...

You need to find yourself a workshop wiring schematic and check your wiring because you've done something wrong (irrespective of what the tech docs say)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i followed this guide and didnt have a problem. documents.php?d=32 so this way works.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I do see one mistake I've made.. I spliced into the data line rather than running the line from pin 14. That was stupid of me but even when i disconnect the computer they still read wrong? I'm terrible with wiring in cars. Il do it properly this time and see what happens.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

so you didn't follow the guide after all?

as i said, the data link between the computer and the cluster, and the link between the cluster and the trip cmputer are separate and different.

because you've spliced them the data is all messed up and nothing is working.

disconnecting the computer wont mske one iota of difference until you fix up the data line...

the computer sends a stack of info to the cluster, while the cluster only sends a tiny bit of data onward to the trip computer.

there is two fault codes for the data lines, one to signify there is a break between cluster and computer and a different code to signify a break between the cluster and trip computer.

cheers,
tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I did follow it but stupidity and ignorance decided to intervene along the way at some point.. I blame myself and lack of attention to detail. So the theory now is if I take this wire out of the data line and and fix it up again will they work? Because I've seen a wiring diagram for the cluster and the rpm and temperature signals through different wires. Or are they still dependant on the data line to help them along? I suppose obviously they are.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Sorry excuse that last post I am void of concentration... I haven't broken the data but as I said I spliced into it so if I were to take the wire back out and tape up the data line in theory should they work again? And thanks for the help guys especially timmya your input is a lot of help.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Correct...

Restore the Computer->Cluster data line to it's std state... The data line temp, fuel usage (in cluster diagnostics), gear indication, are all done through data...

Tacho is done through the SPOUT wire actually...

Attachment:
NL to ED Cluster Pinouts.xls [44 KiB]
Downloaded 398 times

This was for my NL cluster into ED... Shows the tacho wire separate...

Start with one problem at a time though... Fix the data wire... See how everything behaves then and if all else fails we'll go from there...

Yeah so... Not sure what to think if it still isn't accurate after you fix it... So yeah, fix data line, report back... We'll progress then if I manage to find a brain wave to help...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Fixed!! Some of the outside insulation was touching the copper on the data line and also got the trip computer going.. It's a bit moody though but I'm 100% sure it's the computer and not my wiring haha. Thanks very much for the help timmy if I ever meet you il get you back!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]