Fordmods Logo

Is this A BCM problem? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Is this A BCM problem?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hi everyone,I have a 2003 BA Fairmont ghia that has just lost a lot of its electronic functions.I think it started after I had a mechanic plug in the hand held computer to see why the seat belt light kept flashing on but it could just be a coincidence.Since then I have no display on the screen for aircon (so I cant turn it on),no reverse beeper,no display or fuel consumption/fuel left etc ,no intermittent wipers,the radio doesn't turn on or off with the ignition,you can only wind the windows up or down if you press the unlock button on the keyring,plus other glitches I am still finding with the seat and side mirror positions.Is this a problem with the Body Control Module? From what I have read most of the bcm problems relate to door locks.Does anyone know whats going on here?

Post subject: Re: Is this A BCM problem?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

check all fuses with a test light - start at inside fuse box............

has anything been removed and refitted at all ? eg. ICC

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

No, nothing has been changed at all.I have already pulled out every fuse from the fuse box inside the car and none look to be blown,but I will check with a for continuity with a meter.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

test light preferably - seems to have lost power possibly to accessory circuit - also check ignition and accessory relays in inside fuse box - check fuses under bonnet in case supply fuse blown -if fuses etc are ok pull BEM fuse and refit in an attempt to reset BEM - possible fault in ignition switch not turning on correctly -
when checking fuses verify fuses are powered up when ignition is on -BEM is a possible fault but is unusual to loose as many items at once

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Good news.As soon as I touched the first fuse contacts with the test light everything came back to normal.However,now none of the remotes work.I have tried to cycle the door locks again with the rear demister button but it wont enter train mode.What now? Thanks.

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Can't remember now whether these were demister button or boot button...

There is a very specific process to it too... You can't push too fast or too slow... And must be 3 presses obviously... Key has to be in accy IIRC...

Chances are there is nothing wrong... You just gotta get the rhythm to work... Took me a few goes to get the BF into learn mode last time I added a remote...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

does central locking work from dash switch - does interior light turn on/off ?

check all connections into back of fuse box are plugged in tight - check for bad connections where fuses actually plug in same for relays -

ignition in accessory position - within 10 sec. press rear demist switch 3 times - locks should cycle - press any button on all remotes - to program remotes -

check connections into BEM are all plugged in correctly (behind tissue box holder at bottom of ICC)

side note- there is a procedure for turning seat belt warning completely off - if still faulty after current fault is repaired

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

actually just realised no locks work. when you manually push lock down on driver door it doesn't trigger any of the doors. so actually can not lock any of the doors - using the key in outside of drivers door only locks drivers door.

and, central locking from the dash switch doesn't work at all. but interior lights work and all other buttons - seems to be just locks!

thanks... will check all connections etc when I get a chance to look at car later.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]