LED CAN Bus Dome light 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LED CAN Bus Dome light
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

G'day people,

Sometime ago I replaced the normal dome light on the Ford AUII with an LED CAN BUS light.

The LED was a great improvement and worked normally. i.e. goes off when doors are locked, switches on when doors are open, goes off after a delay.

Had this LED for over a year. Recently I've been having a problem where the dome light goes on by itself without any intervention. I tried using the sliding dimmer switch , located adjacent the light switch, after a few up and down movements with the slider switch the dome LED goes off, after a few seconds , it comes back on again and wont switch off unless removed from the dome connection.

This has been happening on and off for the last few weeks.

Does anyone have an idea what the cause might be and remedy (apart from using a normal dome light)?

Thanks.

Bondy99

Post subject: Re: LED CAN Bus Dome light
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bump

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

reconnect original light while you check if light still comes on (temporarily)-if ok replace LED

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Phantom voltages can illuminate LED's... So as TED says try a proper incandescent lamp and see if the load pulls the voltage down...

The lamp is brought on by two things... I have a power circuit supplied from the BEM... If it sees a door left open for longer than 5 mins the BEM kills this power supply to avoid a flat battery...

To bring the circuit on, the manual switch beside the head light switch will ground it manually... Or the BEM will ground the circuit as required (when doors are unlocked, or opened or similar)...

If you find the proper load lamp glows (which I think it will, I run an LED interior lamp in my car with no dramas (canbus or not doesn't matter in an AU))... Then you may have a faulty transistor output on the BEM and it may due for replacement...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi Ted and Tim,

Thanks guys, I'll do that i.e. replace it with the normal incandescent festoon bulb, and see if it goes.

It should work normally, that is fade and switch off when doors are shut. Should automatically shut off when door is locked using remote key.

Will also test it at night when driving to see if dome light comes on by itself...if it does not then I know the BEM is working correctly.

I'll then go back to the LED and if it behaves differently i.e. does not switch off as per normal, then from what I understand I need to replace the BEM. Is that correct?

With BEM's for AUII, are they all the same or different?

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:10 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Peter,

Sounds like a start... Process of elimination...

Na pretty sure there is 3 different levels... Lo, mid and hi... My XR is mid series and has a pink BEM...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tim,

No probs, will start on it tomorrow. Process of elimination for sure.

I'll have to check t see what type of BEM is on my AUII (Forte - apparently)

Whereabouts would this BEM be located?

Any special tool required to remove and replace if found to be faulty?

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:03 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Lay on the driver floor... Where the hand brakes used to be when they were mounted under dash years back is where the bem lives... Has 2 plugs maybe and one Phillips screw at the base and slides into a locator at the top...

Yeah you will need someone to redo the pats security programming so that it starts again... Will be immobilised until this is done... But you could however check the light with a new one, just don't try to start it...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tim,

Thanks, I'll have a peek at it later on.

Update.

I've installed a new incandescent light, 12V 10W..Light bulb lit up. Locked the door with remote key, dome light went off...tested again this time closing the door and weighted a few seconds and dome light did switch off.

So far so good.....went for a drive, daylight hours , drove for about 5 klms , stopped at servo, fuel top up...started vehicle , drove out of servo.....hmmm done light lit up again. lasted for about 2.2 klms, dome light switched off as soon as I arrived home drive way....done light lit up when door open and went off when locking door with remote key.

Something odd happening for sure.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Maybe one of your door locks is playing up... That is where the button is that feeds into the BEM to tell it turn the lights on... You wouldn't have door ajar in the instrument cluster?

There is two inputs into the BEM, one for the drivers door and one combines all the other doors... This turns the interior light on... But if these were playing up (saying door is open when it is closed) then you would have trouble locking the car too... If the door is open when the car is locked the car will unlock and sound the horn...

Either that or the output from the BEM is playing up... Pinched wire or the headlight switch doing funny things...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

check the rear side dome lamps, my mrs au Fairmont had a problem with centre light randomly coming on, it turned out one of the side lamps had slightly melted over the years and was shorting, sending constant 12v from the on switch back through the remote feed causing it to power up the centre light and rear console light.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tim,

I have double checked the doors, all work correctly, no door open seen on the cluster panel. I know the door open cluster works as I did leave a door open intentionally. Started the car, warning sound was played as well as door open symbol.

TROYMAN,

I only have one dome lamp, its right in the centre of roof. I had the cover removed some time ago, could not see any problem with wiring.

Another update.

Went for a drive tonight to Southport Spit and back home. never had a problem with the dome light tonight.

In theory the LED light should also work correctly. I have not tried using the LED Canbus light as yet.

Peter

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dome light still acting weird.

On one night last week I had dome light working ok then failed to light. Pulled the globe out to check filament...filament is good. Switched the dome control light to on...no dome light...tapped the globe holder with fingers, dome light is on.

Dome light functions ok...within 20 seconds, dome light comes back on again, not switching off so used dome light switch, yep, light goes off.

A bit frustrating.

Apart from checking the BEM as TimmyA has suggested . (I've checked but too thoroughly) would a diagnostic scan be of any use, or do those diagnostic scans only good for engine and mechanicals in general.?

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

scantool only of use if it can show PID's (live data) so you can see what circuit is on,normally dealer, most others dont have live data -
do you have alarm ? -do you have bonnett switch? - sedan or wagon? -check boot switch - do you have footwell or map lights?

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TedW,

Thanks for your reply.

I've have ForScan on my laptop but don't know what test I need to run. It does have a drop down list, too many to choose from.

I don't have a car alarm fitted as yet, just stock standard what came with vehicle. I don't have a bonnet switch. it's a sedan (Forte), boot switch works fine , I run LED strip with transistor for boot light, works good.

No footwell lights, I have map lights, I've replaced the bulbs with LED lights, work no problems, although the switch on the map lights is not the best, one has to rock the switch couple of times.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next