More stunning advice from local Ford Service 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: More stunning advice from local Ford Service
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 98 AU Fairmont S/W

QLD, Australia

I had a problem iinstalling a new aerial mast. No matter what I did the mast would not retract the final 8 inches so I called into Ford service for their advice. They told me the gears were worn and to get a new motor.
They didnt look worn when I pulled the motor down but I didnt argue, after all they are supposed to know.
Today whilst trying to adjust the idle speed I had the battery disconnected for an hour. On reconnection the mast went down fully and when the radio was switched on it went up.
Problem fixed - I have no idea how or why but once again Ford Service locally seems to concentrate more on revenue raising than customer satisfaction.

So many women - so little time

Post subject: Re: More stunning advice from local Ford Service
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Andrew S wrote:
I had a problem iinstalling a new aerial mast. No matter what I did the mast would not retract the final 8 inches so I called into Ford service for their advice. They told me the gears were worn and to get a new motor.
They didnt look worn when I pulled the motor down but I didnt argue, after all they are supposed to know.
Today whilst trying to adjust the idle speed I had the battery disconnected for an hour. On reconnection the mast went down fully and when the radio was switched on it went up.
Problem fixed - I have no idea how or why but once again Ford Service locally seems to concentrate more on revenue raising than customer satisfaction.

Mostly every dealer is like that
Mostly most mechanic are like that
Forums are great to seek advice from

Sadly nearly every business is like this now. It's always about the mighty $$$ and finding a way to get it out of you. The concept of helping for the sake of helping people has been lost by greed, and that's bloody sad in my eyes.

But a BIG +1 on your last line uniacidz. :)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Yep, the best advice I seem to get from Ford service is 'Sorry, this part is obsolete'. :lol:

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

s**t. I have convinced myself to go to the local Wellington Capital City Ford dealership and ask them for a BA / BF electric window wiring diagram. Will let you know if returning with all bodily functions intact.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

fiend is there anything in paticular you need from the diagram, i know quite abit about those door looms after converting a ba to 4 way power windows...

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

damnit I just gave away my service manual when I sold my BF, I knew there was money to be made out of keeping it hehe.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Esteven8 wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
Andrew S wrote:

Mostly every dealer is like that
Mostly most mechanic are like that
Forums are great to seek advice from

Sadly nearly every business is like this now. It's always about the mighty $$$ and finding a way to get it out of you. The concept of helping for the sake of helping people has been lost by greed, and that's bloody sad in my eyes.

But a BIG +1 on your last line uniacidz. :)

Every business is interested in paying it's own bills, You are not going to get much advice or help unless you are a paying customer. The concept of being polite seems to have no meaning for most 'customers'.
Lets face it, why would any business give out advice that is going to do them out of work?
Why would any business give out free knowledge that cost money to gain in the first place?

The best customers we have are people from overseas, Australians have a very poor attitude.
The biggest problem is people that have absolutely no idea what's involved in keeping a business running smoothly and ensuring that business actually makes a profit. These are the people who constantly make statements like the above, who constantly reinforce the myths that all businesses are making huge profits and ripping every one off.

None of you have even the slightest clue about the running costs we have.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Your answer is like this often

However I too have noticed that friendly advice is now missing from most service people

I hear what your saying about a dollar and bills however you all seem to forget about the customer relationship

There are a number of things I pay people to do on my car, but no it's not the little things. It's the ones like head gaskets and diff rebuilds- the bigger ticket items. But those jobs go to peoe who have demonstrated both experience, and the willingness to share it

To their benefit I also send my mates when they have trouble. The return is large

But if I'm given the run around ill send business elsewhere real fast

Dollars make sense but not at all costs.

The best thing I heard in the past week was of a guy with a machine shop. To those he knows, $20 an hr to do anything you like. If you can't do it he'll give advice

He'll do the whole job at a cost but he's also willing to show you along

There is the real value to Australia's future

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Nigel wrote:
Your answer is like this often

However I too have noticed that friendly advice is now missing from most service people

I hear what your saying about a dollar and bills however you all seem to forget about the customer relationship

There are a number of things I pay people to do on my car, but no it's not the little things. It's the ones like head gaskets and diff rebuilds- the bigger ticket items. But those jobs go to peoe who have demonstrated both experience, and the willingness to share it

To their benefit I also send my mates when they have trouble. The return is large

But if I'm given the run around ill send business elsewhere real fast

Dollars make sense but not at all costs.

The best thing I heard in the past week was of a guy with a machine shop. To those he knows, $20 an hr to do anything you like. If you can't do it he'll give advice

He'll do the whole job at a cost but he's also willing to show you along

There is the real value to Australia's future

There is a difference between giving some friendly advice to a regular customer and someone you've never met before wanting you to tell him how to fix his own stuff.

I've got a few customers who do some of their own work and get me to do some, at the same time these guys will often spend thousands of dollars at a time. They will get all the help I can give them.
But turn up and ask for advice if you've never spent any money at my shop and you will get none.

That's the difference between a good customer and a time waster.

And the next time you think you can never get good advice from a mechanic for free. Just stop and think about the amount of advice that my self and others have given out on this forum over the years.....................................!

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

I think your point about advice for free is Fair, and also up for comment.

You do sometimes come across Bipolar - offering good advice on one forum, and completely slaying someone for not wanting to pay for a mechanic in another.

I believe you must often forget that your a different kind of mechanic.

Last two mechanics my friends used are not ever going to be used again.
Brake bolts left out.
Damaged "new" oil seals
very poor servicing.

.. and sadly many mechanics arent as interested in the quality as you indicate you are. Many have been there a long time, and rather than being interested are now either paid too little, or just cant be bothered working on cars every day of the year. Shortcuts are very easy, and they get done.
.. for me... I dont do that. Even a 17yo doesnt do that but he makes a hell-load more mistakes.

My ex-neighbour was a mechanic - and new his stuff, but his methods often left me just amazed. Now he does something else, but the quick-cuts stayed with him.

Ford Servicing - which is the topic at the start - I completely agree with. Ive seen some atrocious short-cuts on my cars when they went to ford - something they only ever did to get Ford Warranty. The amount of times Ive been told that something will cost over $1500, only to have it done for $300 -500 at a local place closer to me is just crazy. I understand a fair price. Hell, if ford did an amazing job every time then theyd still be servicing my cars even though theyre more expensive. I put my car in, Telling them the Transmission wasnt normal and was doing some weird shifting with some excess noise. Report back : "Normal for age". Car was back at ford 2 weeks later for a transmission.

There was a point where you used to trust the dealer like he was your mate. Hell, in South Aus in the country town I grew up in, the dealer was my dad's mate. He was a little more expensive, and the job really was done well.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Nigel wrote:
.. and sadly many mechanics aren't as interested in the quality as you indicate you are. Many have been there a long time, and rather than being interested are now either paid too little, or just cant be bothered working on cars every day of the year. Shortcuts are very easy, and they get done.

The constant push from the customer to be cheap is what created the short-cutting dodgy mechanic. That's the amusing part about it.

What sets me apart is I don't give in to the pressure to be cheap. It costs what it costs and if you don't like, go and chance it with the cheap guy.
I will also turn a job down if I think the car or customer is going to be problematic.

One of the other problems we have is the customers fixation on your hourly rate as if it's magical number. You know what mine is. $115/hr. Again if that a problem for you, there are still some guys stuck in the 1990's charging $80/hr. and you can chance it with them if you like.

I live by the saying, Good work can't be cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Even though, IMO, the average rate for a mechanic should be up around $130/hr.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]