NA fairlane cluster 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: NA fairlane cluster
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

Hi

I have a Ford fairlane Cluster that has an issue with the taco that when the engine is started you have to tap on the cluster to get it to start working, the speedo and the and the odomitor are Digital, but the fuel temp and taco are all needles.

What is likely the issue and how can I fix it?

Regards

Barry

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Post subject: Re: NA fairlane cluster
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

WA, Australia

I wouldn't mind a Taco in a NA. :lol: Sorry mate - just had a funny moment.

A mate of mine had a NC, same story. His Tacho (I think we are referring to the gauge displaying the rpms) would work intermittent as well. Sometimes it would work for a few hundred K's, other times he had to tap it every time he drove it to make sure it would work.

We ended up taking the c0ckpit out and re-soldering all the points on the print. Worked a treat. Same thing with the electric window switches. After a while these soldering points get tired and crack. You may not even see the crack with the naked eye, but just re-heating them works every time.

Give it a go and see whether it is the same with your car.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: NA fairlane cluster
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon 4.0L

QLD, Australia

I agree with the axeman, after many years of vibration, solder joints can eventually let go, or could be a case of dry solder joints, just a tiny amount of flux on the joints and heat with a soldering iron with a small tip, dont let the iron sit on a joint too long or you could fry internal components and irreversable damage could occur. Remember to keep iron tip and joints clean. Hope this helps you out.
Good luck

My cars don't advertise for Unit, Metal Mulisha, Loosekid Industries, Inverted, Famous stars & straps crap, R.M. Williams, Fusion, DC Shoes or the Transformers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]