NL (EL) Fairlane wipers only go fast 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: NL (EL) Fairlane wipers only go fast
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 Fairlane Concorde 4.0

QLD, Australia

Gday fellas, I had an ABS issue in my NL Fairlane (broke the rear sensor puling an axle to do bearings, yeah, Im an idiot) and replaced it, didnt fix it though as the sensor was a dud but I did not at the time know that. Was suggested to pull the terminals off the battery and let the system reset so I tried that to no avail. I Also pulled fuses and relays to satisfy the supplier of the dud sensor. Found out how to test an abs sensor and extract the NL ABS codes from the dash, codes still came up 32 on the ABS test pins. So I replaced it with one I got from another wrecker that tested 2.2 KOhms on my multimeter, that fixed the ABS light, it went out by itself. Beautiful.

BUT, I have no intermittent or slow speed wipers, they only work flat out and wont stop at the bottom unless I time switching them off right. I also have no cruise control. The dash will display 'cruise' when I hit the on button on the left buttons on the wheel, but I cant set a speed from the wheel buttons on the right. I also cant turn it off (as in the word 'cruise' wont disappear from the dash). Cycle the ignition and its cancelled, but hit 'on' again and the same thing, no speed setting ability, and the cruise stays active but not cruising if that makes sense. So the 'on' button works as it should but none of the others seem to function.

Everything else seems to work, pwr windows, AC, radio (after market stereo, no idea if original wiring is used, but assume so), int lights etc. Well, I havent noticed anything else not working, all the things I just mentioned I know still do work. Prior to this, everything worked as it should.

Any ideas what has happened?

Cheers, Gary.

Silver NL Fairlane Concorde 98 4.0

1978 XC Fairmont GXL Update 5.8 with 218 Cam @ 50

Post subject: Re: NL (EL) Fairlane wipers only go fast
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The park line on the wiper motor isn't maintaining an earth til the park position.
Most likely the metal wiper arm has broken off, or the sector on the drive cog has come off or worn.

You can access this by taking the motor out and taking off the top cover - 4? x phillips head screws.
You'd need spares off another motor to repair, so easiest to just replace with a second hander.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hi snap, thanks for the reply. I wish it was that easy. It happened after I pulled all the plugs and fuses. Ive deleted something in the BCM or reset something good and proper is my guess. I dont think its mechanical. It happened just as I said it did. Everything worked fine, until I pulled all the fuses and plugs. As soon as I plugged them all back in, I had nadda cruise control, and nadda wipers except flat out.

Im fairly sure Ive plugged everything back in, Ive checked and double checked, cant see anything not plugged in but that doesnt mean it isnt hiding somewhere.

i also kind of read something about letting the BCM relearn by letting it sit for 60 mins, I assume with ignition on, but Im not what it will learn and where it would learn it from for that to be true.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I thought Elves only fixed shoes. Apparently they fix wipers and cruise controls too. Went to the car today and tried the cruise cont, it worked fine. Ditto on the wipers too. I can only assume there was a connection I pulled that is now connecting properly, otherwise Im at a loss to explain it.

Cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]