Fordmods Logo

no ignition lights when key turned on 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: no ignition lights when key turned on
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: DL FORD LTD

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, my DL LTD won't start due to the ignition lights not coming on when key is turned on!! Normally a most reliable car till about a month ago when it refused to start even tho' i had just been using it 5 minutes before then i noticed the ignition lights weren't on. Had the RACV take a look, after checking all fuses etc they suggested i needed an auto electrician. Some time later i was tugging at the wiring running down the steering column and the ignition lights came on and the car started?? I've been using the car since, once or twice the car stalled but came good again by "playing" with the same wiring. Unfortunately after shopping i got into the car to head home but this time the car just won't turn on (no ignition lights) and even tho' the motor turns over there's no ignition. Got the car towed home and now looking for help in diagnosing the problem.
ANY SUGGESTIONS GRACIOUSLY APPRECIATED. :( :(

Post subject: Re: no ignition lights when key turned on
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

sounds like 'maybe' a loose connection - what wire were ya reefing on??

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

remove shroud and push back of ignition switch while turned on- and see if you get warning lights - check pins in plug for ignition switch to verify not burnt -

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the responses guys, the wires i was tugging on were the ones connected to the ignition switch, the indicators and cruise control. I've removed the shroud and will try pushing the back of the ign sw in the morning and report back

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

this is quite common on ba and territorys and the back of the ignition switch falls out and some times it breaks a lug inside the switch then it feels like the switch wont return to the run position if you let go of the key (it will just stay in the crank position)

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS
Opened up a couple of the connector plugs and had a look for anything out of the ordinary and found one of the male plugs had somehow lost a fair bit of it's length?? spread the male pins to increase their girth a little and plugged it all back again and all is back to normal for now. I'll have to replace the connector as i suspect the shorter pin will give me problems sooner or later?? Not going to be easy as the pins are a fixture on the wiring and there's very little free play length wise?? Will have to work out how to remove the pins from the block so i can replace at least one of them.
Anyway Thank You for the suggestions and encouragement it's most appreciated. I did try to include a couple of pics but had no success.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:16 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

possibly cut wires and solder together - use a piece of wire if necessary

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

if you can grip the terminal with a pair of fine pointy nose pliers you may be able to pull it back into place or you may be able to push the wire from the back and re locate the pin in the connector it should click into place. some of the connectors have a cover on the side to release the locksif you cannot get it back into place it may be worth trying to pry that loose first but if you take it out make sure you fit it back in firmly as you dont want this problem to reoccur , make sure you have good lighting in there to see exactly what you are doing

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Attachment:
Connector Plug.jpg
Connector Plug.jpg [ 103 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]
i've managed to attach 2 pics showing the offending connector and the damaged male pin inside. I've briefly tried to dislodge the shortened pin but without success, i'm planning to pick up a connector plug from the wreckers and have a "play" to better understand how to dismantle it, if any one has any suggestions or knowledge to share in this area it'll be most appreciated. The strangest thing is i have no evidence of the missing top section of the pin anywhere???
Attachment:
Male Plug.jpg
Male Plug.jpg [ 115.79 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
Attachment:
Connector Plug.jpg
Connector Plug.jpg [ 103 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Jajemi wrote:
i've managed to attach 1 pic showing the offending connector and the damaged male pin inside. I've briefly tried to dislodge the shortened pin but without success, i'm planning to pick up a connector plug from the wreckers and have a "play" to better understand how to dismantle it, if any one has any suggestions or knowledge to share in this area it'll be most appreciated. The strangest thing is i have no evidence of the missing top section of the pin anywhere???
Attachment:
Male Plug.jpg

the pin is held in by a clip that is part of that damaged pin. to remove without damaging you need say a very small flat screwdriver, which is pushed in to hold the 'clip' flat so pin can be removed

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah they're easy connectors... You pry that red retainer out of the plug however you can and then that will reveal the tang which holds the pin in... Gently lever the tab back and pin will slide out the back of the plug... No idea where the rest of it went but... Is it stuck in the female pin?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

as per Timmya instructions,red piece in center of plug has to be removed before you can release the retainer locking the pin inside the plug ,
it is common for this connector to melt due to poor connection and cause it to fuse to the plug insulator -
cut wires at both plugs and solder wires or join with seperate male female connector outside original plug ...................
Note- get rid of the scotchlocks shown in pic and solder before they start playing up as well............

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TedW wrote:
Note- get rid of the scotchlocks shown in pic and solder before they start playing up as well............

I highly agree to this... They are the most cheap and nasty way, as well as most sure way to play up of making a connection known to man...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps Guys for the advice, will try to implement all the recommendations suggested, hopefully i can avoid another unplanned failure.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]