Fordmods Logo

Oil light 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil light
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

In my new AU III I found that it was fitted with an ordinary oil pressure switch (for a light) and so I bought and replaced it with a PROPER sender. Now, when I start the car the Oil gauge doesn't appear to function (truly don't remember if it did before I did the change) and after 10 seconds an Oil light in the dash comes on. Has anyone come across this happening before?
BTW, there is no noise from the engine signalling drop in oil pressure.

Post subject: Re: Oil light
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

George,

Is it a pain to get back under the car and try unplugging it?

It either raises the gauge by increasing the resistance between itself and the block, or by decreasing the resistance between itself and the block...

I'd try unplugging the fly lead and see if the gauge rises, then I'd try shorting it directly to the block (which is what I think will max the gauge out) and seeing if that lifts your oil pressure... If it does then the sender is shot, if it doesn't then it may be wiring or cluster related...

At least rule out the sensor first...

Hope you're doing well too! I miss having a handy contact at Thompson now...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hope all goes well but as timmy said that should be a good way to test the electrical side of things

P.S do you remember my PM regarding brake pads for a model T was just joking with you wasnt serious i never got a reply though :(

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

something of interest for you george,
narelles au fairmont has the switch for the light aswell and both the gauge and light work, but not independantly, as in the gauge sits just over half when engine runs, but never rises or drops under hot or cold conditions, almost like it just gets a certain resistance from the switch to show pressure on the gauge..
i thought it was odd that it only had a pressure switch instead of the sender, but never worried about it after looking at a few other std fairmonts..

in my au1 fairmont ghia i have the sender and the gauge will rise and fall slightly under different conditions and temps as per normal...

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys for the feedback.
Troy, when I took the inlet manifold off I saw that there was a rather ratty looking switch in the block and thought gee, maybe someone put the WRONG switch in the car? obviously it didn't?

I will check what Timmy said anyway and if not, I will get a switch and try that. :)

Again, thanks Guys. :) :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
P.S do you remember my PM regarding brake pads for a model T was just joking with you wasn't serious i never got a reply though :(

Matey, I am sorry that I didn't answer you but it is very possible I didn't see it. Things are a little calmer for me these days. :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You have fitted the wrong sender.

the AU uses the same small sender regardless of the it having a gauge or just a light.

Fitting the early large type sender will result in exactly what is happening in your car.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:17 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Don't most cars use an oil pressure sender for the gauge and an oil pressure switch for the light?Though VDO manufacture a single unit with 2 terminals which does both.Kevman.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
You have fitted the wrong sender.

the AU uses the same small sender regardless of the it having a gauge or just a light.

Fitting the early large type sender will result in exactly what is happening in your car.

You should check your facts before delivering dogmatic sentences.

AUI uses a oil sender and I have found out that AUII/III use the light sender for both.

Glad I don't have depend on forgetful grease balls like you, I think the floods have caused mold to grow in your head.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
something of interest for you george,
narelles au fairmont has the switch for the light aswell and both the gauge and light work, but not independantly, as in the gauge sits just over half when engine runs, but never rises or drops under hot or cold conditions, almost like it just gets a certain resistance from the switch to show pressure on the gauge..
i thought it was odd that it only had a pressure switch instead of the sender, but never worried about it after looking at a few other std fairmonts..

in my au1 fairmont ghia i have the sender and the gauge will rise and fall slightly under different conditions and temps as per normal...

AUI is fitted with a sender for the gauge. The AUII/III is fitted with a switch as the gauge is just like an idiot light. When you start the Engine the gauge will go to the middle and stay there. I have this information from an extremly reliable source and have no reason to doubt his information.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Paul, I did find that out too but Ford still list the Early one for ALL AU's :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]