Fordmods Logo

Parasitic Drain Ford AU Fairmont Ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Parasitic Drain Ford AU Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I have an odd problem with my Ford that has been going on for the last 3 years.
Whenever I don't drive my car for a couple of days it either goes flat or struggles to start my car alternator is charging perfectly fine and the Battery is fine and as long as I drive my car for long enough periods each day it works fine.

I put an ammeter in series on the battery terminal and it's reading a 180mA drain which is far above what it should be (no higher than 50mA right?). removing the LPG converter wire from the battery drops it down to 160mA but I need that.... turning the alarm system off (looking at the box under the dash it has written on it "Dynamic Australia Upgrade") with the alarm key takes it down to 160mA... I then unplugged the alarm 20pin plug from the main box and I have been able to get it down to 110mA and 80mA when I remove the interior light (IL) fuse (not sure why the IL fuse is using 30mA there are no lights that are on in the whole car... boot and glovebox included) however when I remove the 30A door lock fuse it drops down to around 70-80mA IL fuse in and 60mA IL fuse out and then the alarm sounds so it sounds like the alarm is powered somewhere else apart from the 20pin plug (the alarm battery is blown as well it just gives a gurgle and a quiet alarm sound when running off its own battery and goes flat after a few seconds). What's even more confusing is when I originally removed the Alarm 20 pin plug the ammeter was reading 80mA but then not sure what happened it goes back up to 110mA and then stays like that even when I close the doors and lock it and wait.

Any ideas why the door lock and the interior light fuses have a large drain?

So if anyone has any advice as to what could be draining my battery from this information I'd be very grateful, having to charge my car every so often from the mains is a pain in the a*** and not knowing if the car will start one morning is to stressful.

Thanks guys hopefully someone has some info, I'm at my wits end I've unplugged fuses and relays and nothing seems to affect anything other then the mentioned above

Post subject: Re: Parasitic Drain Ford AU Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not sure if this is helpful, but there may be a short some where in the door lock or IL wiring. I'm not sure how alarms are wired, but would the alarm be integrated into the door locks or IL circuitry?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Have a look at any non original things. Is there a Tow bar ? If so check the trailer socket, often they are full of crap and corrosion. The interior light circuit runs the smart lock on earlier models. Sitting idle, there will be power to the ECU, clock, radio, remote locking and air-bag. Non original is something like an aftermarket stereo, a power amp may have wired to the battery rather than accessory circuit. Pulling fuses is a place to start, a short term work-around may be install a " battery fighter " This will keep the battery fully charged, without overcharging. It will make your battery last longer.

Door switches are another place to look, and I found a brake light switch the cause of this in a car once. A faulty alternator can do this, get the meter out and start unplugging things.

Good luck with it. 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Wagon

VIC, Australia

I had a similar problem to this a cpl years ago. I ended up tracing it to a rear wiring loom, underneath near the exhaust - a hole in the exhaust had melted a wire, and caused all kinds of bizarre electrical problems including power drain.

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

So I spent a good few hours trying to find the parasitic drain I removed the battery wire from my 3rd party alarm as it wasn't keeping it's charge, I unplugged the brake lights, unplugged the rear speakers and it constantly stayed at 120mA Battery drain.
I tested my dads battery drain as he has a Ford AU futura and it was at 70mA
It appears that whatever the problem is it's on the interior light fuse as when I remove it the battery drain goes down to 70-80mA, I removed any bulbs that had blown (the RH foot well bulb and the brake light in the window) and all the switches seem to work perfectly turn on and off the only one I had issues with was the toggle lights in the center at the front but I opened that up and got that working again.

But I still can't work out where the battery drain is coming from on the interior light fuse ... the trailer socket disappears into the side of the body so can't work out where it leads to but I'm pretty sure it's a factory fitted socket.... everything on the car is pretty stock apart from the LPG and alarm system...the rest is what you get with the Fairmont Ghia model.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]