Fordmods Logo

relocating EL ignition coil 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: relocating EL ignition coil
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

hey everyone, im in the process of relocating my ignition coil to possibly here.. may move it elsewhere yet.. >>> Image (is a spare ignition coil im using)

now I want to know.. what the f*ck is this >>> Image

and can I leave it on the block where the ignition coil "was" or do I need to extend the wire for it also and recolate it also so its near the Ignition coil?? id prefer to leave it on the block :roll: ahaha,

thanks everyone :lol: :twisted:

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Post subject: Re: relocating EL ignition coil
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

and the sparky lead for the Ignition Coil to Dizzy, does it HAVE to be the same length?? or can I use a old spark plug lead so I can relocate the Ignition Coil to where I want? cheers everyone.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I have just been reading up abit, and some people say that to relocate the Ignition Coil you need to have an earth strap on it? Is this true? I wouldve thought i have enough earth around the body.. i have 10mm thick earth cables running from battery to body, and block to body, is this enough earth? Or do i need to provide extra for the Ign Coil? Thanks everyone.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Im not sure what the plug on the block is but yor coil should have a 2 pin plug as well as the plug for the spark plug lead. I relocated mine to inbetween the airbox and headlight. You can use any lead you want from coil to dizzy I experimented abit but that isnt the best way to go as it starts to get costly but im lucky enough to have to big box's full of new leads.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ohkay, fair enough, thanks for the help mate, shes all done now, ended up putting it on the a/c compressor bolt so i could use the same length lead. May move it at a later date but it will do for now, just gotta start her up shortly :wink: :roll: ahah,

Ended up finding out the little black square thing with the plug is a "noise suppressor" apparently.. i moved it as well so its still right beside the coil

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Okay that would be so when listening to music you dont get some static im guessing.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

See my build thread when I did the AU VCT head... I left it where it was... But turned it 90 degrees to make the bolts easier to reach and prevent the "hang" it does on the side of the block causing the epoxy to crack... Coil is easy enough to change under the car, esp with a BBM... As I said all I did was make the two bolts easier to get at and prevent it from handing... It stood up on it's two bolts (the original "hanging" design caused the epoxy to get a hairline crack and then would absorb moisture until the spark jumped to the block instead of down the lead...)

Next... No it doesn't need an earth... The high voltage winding earths through the same earth pin in the low voltage winding... Will work not even bolted to the car...

And you're spot on the money... The coil charges when DC is applied and the magnetic field collapses on discharge causing the high voltage spark... You also get a spike on the secondary side and the capacitor absorbs this spike so don't get the ticking through your sound system...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
See my build thread when I did the AU VCT head... I left it where it was... But turned it 90 degrees to make the bolts easier to reach and prevent the "hang" it does on the side of the block causing the epoxy to crack... Coil is easy enough to change under the car, esp with a BBM... As I said all I did was make the two bolts easier to get at and prevent it from handing... It stood up on it's two bolts (the original "hanging" design caused the epoxy to get a hairline crack and then would absorb moisture until the spark jumped to the block instead of down the lead...)

Next... No it doesn't need an earth... The high voltage winding earths through the same earth pin in the low voltage winding... Will work not even bolted to the car...

And you're spot on the money... The coil charges when DC is applied and the magnetic field collapses on discharge causing the high voltage spark... You also get a spike on the secondary side and the capacitor absorbs this spike so don't get the ticking through your sound system...

Cheers,
Tim

Sweet! Thanks Tim, exactly what i wanted to know :)

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Edited ///

Double post :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]