Fordmods Logo

Series 1 AU xr6 (non VCT) possible electrical fault? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Series 1 AU xr6 (non VCT) possible electrical fault?
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU11 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,
I recently bought another AU xr6 for parts, however would like to see her run.
When I try starting it, on the first turn an E pops up on the dash display. When you try starting again the E disappears and the regular info is shown.
Also the smartshield icon flashes each second when the ignition is turned off. when ignition is on, smartshield icon stays on. On my daily driver it flashes every 3 seconds when ignition is off, when ignition is on it stays on for roughly 5 seconds then disappears.

When purchased, I was told the started motor was rooted. Having had a few bush-bombs at home, usually when a starter motor goes there is still a clicking sound as it is trying to engage. In this car there is nothing. The previous owners had the BEM (the yellow thing) hanging out of its original spot and the fuse box in the engine bay has been replaced which leads me to believe they were chasing an electrical fault. I have put them back in properly and checked the connections but still nothing. If you listen closely when you turn the key you can hear one of the relays in the fuse box inside the car click but no sound from any of the others in the engine bay.

Seen on another post that water was getting in near the computer, when i got to the computer in this car i did think there may have been a bit of moisture (more like condensation) around it.

If the fault cant be found will a standard series 1 AU computer, BEM and other wiring bits and pieces plug in and fix it?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Series 1 AU xr6 (non VCT) possible electrical fault?
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

does interior light work -
does warning light say smartlock or smartshield -
bridge start relay in fusebox near battery terminals 30 & 87 starter should crank over -
does this relay pull in when you try to crank from key -

if smartlock turn ignition on approx 1 hr doors closed - turn ignition off 15 sec try to start - if smartshield scantool required to program key - when you turn key on does light flash a code -
problem is you dont no what previous owner has done

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Did finally fix it.
yeah all the lights came on. everything was normal except for the smartshield light.
Turns out the starter motor had a wire off it and the ECU was fried, so had to replace it along with the BCM and steering column.
only problem now is it wont idle when in gear. could be dirty fuel as it has been sitting since feb before i purchased it.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

drops some 98 in it disconnect battery 10 min or so start and run thru various relearn modes ie. warm up idle a couple minutes no load -ac on in drive etc. is idle control connected/working ? vacuumn leak ?

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just put some new fuel in it. Bit of premium and drove her around, opened her up a bit and all good. cant believe the smartshield crap and how its all tied together with the BCM and the steering column. oh well, all fixed :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]