Fordmods Logo

Starting the car 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Starting the car
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

I've just joined the Forum and need some advice on what the issue is with my car. It's a 1994 Ford Falcon EF auto. I had an issue where the car was not starting, everything else was working, just not the car. I have since replaced the inhibitor switch and it still wouldn't start, but somehow the NRMA made it start the first time he tried it. He listed a few reasons why it wouldn't start, and each time he tried it, it started. Go figure, I try to start it after he leaves and yes it starts. I go and buy another switch (this switch sits in with about 5 or 6 others on the left side of the engine bay right next to the battery), and it decides not to start again. Go figure, I find out it definitely starts, in Reverse, Neutral, Drive, but not Park. I either did something wrong when fitting the inhibitor switch, or it's something else. At least the car is working, but to get it back to starting in Park would be good too. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Starting the car
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

your battery and "starter relay" are situated on right of engine bay near battery except if you refering to while standing at front looking at engine...was the start relay what you changed?
mounts to side wall near battery/rear of relay box near fuse box under plastic cover....

should be ok if it starts in other gears............

inhibitor switch is located on left side of gear box under vehicle see google for picture of same

(does it start in park if you apply a bit of pressure on gear leaver while in park position ?)

switch may be at fault or linkage may require slight adjustment underneath vehicle

Post subject: Re: Starting the car
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

I can check the linkages to see if that is at fault, thanks for that. What you have replied with tells me I may have simply installed the switch to an offset position while fitting it and didn't realise. yes it was the starter relay I replaced. I was told that it's just a matter of working through the path between ignition and starter motor/inhibitor switch, except I had no idea which end was at fault. Big thanks!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]