Fordmods Logo

strange behavior - trip computer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: strange behavior - trip computer
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

Installed a trip computer two days ago into the missuses base model el falcon. I followed the tech doco and it worked.

Strange things are happening....

First of all the speed alarm doesn't work.
Secondly after I installed it, it decided it wasn't going to power on the next day.... And did the same thing again today. I first thought it was just teething but I have checked my wiring and it is fine. I fixed it the first time by unplugging the trip computer and when I reinstalled it, it came back to life. Today I fixed it by pulling the bat inst fuse twice. The first time it displayed random gibberish on the time screen and wouldn't respond to button pressed. The second time I pulled the fuse it reset and functioned normally.

Is this a fkd aka brain dead computer? I don't think it is my wiring as it is working after a reset.

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Post subject: Re: strange behavior - trip computer
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Bah, not working at all now. Fk thing

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Okay so pulling the fuse didn't work this time. When I did, it was blank with the lcd backlight on. Then while driving it sprang to life asking me to set the time....wtf

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

You most likely have a loose connection somewhere. My guess would be either the power or data line from the cluster.
If it is doing nothing, but will display the clock when any button is pressed this means the data line is not connected properly. If you're getting nothing at all then obviously no power.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

No it's completely dead, no clock on button pressed. I have checked my wiring for the umteenth time..........faaarrrkkkkkk time for a new trip comp? Good thing I paid 0 for it

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

It was alive again, then I shut the car off, started it again and it's dead again. Def trip computer, not my wiring. But.... I will check my wiring ....again.

it's back to it's blank screen with lcd backlight on. Driving me nuts now

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Started the car again and it is working. I am putting this down to Dodgy t/c. Anyone know how to repair these?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:12 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Right, if it is operational it works, until I turn the key to off, then back on it is dead. Then while driving it magically springs back to life. Time for a new trip computer.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Now when I press a button the time/date shows, like there is no data line. Time to check my damn wiring again.....

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:55 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon 4.0L

QLD, Australia

I have the exact problem with the trip comp. in my EF Fairmont, the readout would gradually fade out and then go blank, I pulled the top fuse in the fuse box under the dash and BOOYA, springs back to life, it seems to happen once a month, hmmm.... could be female lol. Let me know if you fix the problem. Thanks.

My cars don't advertise for Unit, Metal Mulisha, Loosekid Industries, Inverted, Famous stars & straps crap, R.M. Williams, Fusion, DC Shoes or the Transformers.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Yeah, when it does it you can faintly make out numbers on the display but nothing happens with the buttons, when you pull the fuse it's hit and miss. When I pulled it today, it kept the date but not the time. Defenetaly female. If my understanding is right, all it really is is a glorified clock that pulls info from the instrument cluster and calculates a distance to empty. Mofo thing doesn't beep at overspeed alarm either..... Can anyone else confirm the same issue? Also yesterday it was fading in and out the top and bottom digits yet still functioning as normal. I may disassemble it and give it a going over with the soldering iron and chect the components.

Guess with electronics at the old age of 16+ years they just don't work as well as they once did. Especially with heat and cold cycles and vibration.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

This thing is female for sure, sometimes it works, others not. It doesn't keep the time after it has a fit and sometimes lcd segments are missing. As it gets its info from the instrument cluster the average consumption is okay, the speed alarm works now and the range is correct. I will hunt down a new one. I am chalking this one up to repeated heat cycles and age. Next time it is out I will go over it withthe soldering iron and replace the components I can. I will report back with results.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon 4.0L

QLD, Australia

this might sound strange, but I think it is a problem with static, think about the amount of times you get in and out of a car and your shoes rubbing against carpet. You would be suprised how much voltage static electricity can produce. Back in the day when I was brainwashed and owned a VX SS Bongadore, the digital odometer readout did the exact same thing, found out if you leave the fuse out for about 15-20 mins, all the static build up will dissipate, just a thought and it seems to work on my EF Fairmont, I have pulled my trip computer out and apart and checked all solder joints under a magnifying glass and voltmeter to check for continuity etc. and found no faults.

My cars don't advertise for Unit, Metal Mulisha, Loosekid Industries, Inverted, Famous stars & straps crap, R.M. Williams, Fusion, DC Shoes or the Transformers.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Not sure thats possible because the vehicle is grounded with its rubber (or a grandpa strap if u have one) I went over mine with a hot air reworking station and it is working but occasionally I get the disco lcd effects...... Time for a new trip comp I think. Like I said, these things are old and have been through enough heat cycles that I am surprised that other peoples trip computers are still working.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

update: This thing is completely random...... i find that pulling the fuse for 15 mins+ does nothing. but the lcd backlight stays on after re-inserting the fuse. then randomly while driving, it springs to life asking me to set the time. the average consumption figures are there and range is still there. I assume these are functions of the instrument cluster as some of this info is seen in the cluster diagnostic mode.

The speed warning works too, i just didn't set it correctly (when the damn t/c works). great feature i reckon.

it is a shame nobody finished the DOL decoder project here ford-interior-f14/laptop-trip-computer-ef-l-t750.html?hilit=scantool

i am no programmer but am happy to test things out for developers, with the new atmel kits and even the rasberryPI would probably be capable of this, with some insider info from ford as they probably wouldn't give a hoot over an EF/L EEC. sadly it appears the guys especially 'dang' hasn't been here since 2008.

if anyone wants to have a go at reviving this ancient project I would be happy to help any way I can. Something like this would kick the stock trip computers a$$. lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next