Using a EF ecu as a slave in F100 custom rebuild 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Using a EF ecu as a slave in F100 custom rebuild
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: F100

NSW, Australia

Hi All
I have just joined this forum, have looked at some of the posts and the tec stuff and am impressed. I am doing a major custom restore to a 77 F100 ex ambo with a 351C engine & 5 speed manual box. I have a complete 96 EF Fairmont 4lt (not running) that I will be using for parts and want to use the whole dash assembly, climate control, cruise control, door & window elec's etc. The problem is that most of the EF elec's are controlled by the ecu, such as temp gauge, tacho, odometer and part of the climate control and maybe more that I don't know about. I was wondering if I used all of the EF senders and still ran them through the ecu by the EF wire harnesses except for the fuel and ignition system (with still using the tacho signal) if it would work eg use the ecu as a slave just to give me the signals I want, not sure with the fuel and ignition systems not connected what the ecu will do, it might shut down or give improper signals. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Using a EF ecu as a slave in F100 custom rebuild
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Why not run EFI with the EF ECU?

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EF GLi

NSW, Australia

Ray258 wrote:
Hi All
I have just joined this forum, have looked at some of the posts and the tec stuff and am impressed. I am doing a major custom restore to a 77 F100 ex ambo with a 351C engine & 5 speed manual box. I have a complete 96 EF Fairmont 4lt (not running) that I will be using for parts and want to use the whole dash assembly, climate control, cruise control, door & window elec's etc. The problem is that most of the EF elec's are controlled by the ecu, such as temp gauge, tacho, odometer and part of the climate control and maybe more that I don't know about. I was wondering if I used all of the EF senders and still ran them through the ecu by the EF wire harnesses except for the fuel and ignition system (with still using the tacho signal) if it would work eg use the ecu as a slave just to give me the signals I want, not sure with the fuel and ignition systems not connected what the ecu will do, it might shut down or give improper signals. Thanks for any help.

Hi sorry to bother you as I am not answering your post but if it won't be any trouble I have a couple of questions that I would like you to answer. I to have an EF Fairmont 4L aswell and was wondering...
1) Where is the ecu located?
2) How do you take out the ecu?
:)

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ECU is located behind the Front Left Kick Panel.

You will need to remove the front left scuff plate, 3 screws and then pull the 2 Panel Clips holding in the kick panel. You will then see the ECU.

There is one philips head srew holding in the bracket with the earth wire attached. Unscrew this and remove the bracket. The ECU will then come out.

To unplug the wiring, you will need a 10mm socket to undo the bolt holding the wiring plug into the ECU. When this is undone, pull the plug out and the ECU is then removed.

Install is the reverse.Don't forget the earth wire.

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EF GLi

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
ECU is located behind the Front Left Kick Panel.

You will need to remove the front left scuff plate, 3 screws and then pull the 2 Panel Clips holding in the kick panel. You will then see the ECU.

There is one philips head srew holding in the bracket with the earth wire attached. Unscrew this and remove the bracket. The ECU will then come out.

To unplug the wiring, you will need a 10mm socket to undo the bolt holding the wiring plug into the ECU. When this is undone, pull the plug out and the ECU is then removed.

Install is the reverse.Don't forget the earth wire.

Thankyou very much! :D

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It will be quite a big job...... How much wider is the F series than the Falcon ? It may not look good with a gap / spacer 150mm either side of the dash, or the cluster not in front of you. If you have an 8 cyl ECU it would make the Falcon cluster easier to use, and run the EFI system. The tach in an EF or EL count RPM, not spark pulses. The 6 and 8 cluster are the same. It still sounds a good project, but a totaled later F series may be a better parts donor car. IMO

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I though the body control/electrics module controlled elec windows and central locking?

Or is that why EFs have a 104 pin ecu cos things are wired through the ecu?

If I have a basic grasp you want to fully fit the ef dash and body electrics but keep the 351c..

I'd look at it as if I was fully converting an EF 5.0 into it then when it came to the engine side simplify the loom to run a carby motor..

Size up the dash, fit the EF loom complete through the F truck. Then on the engine bay side remove what is needed to make a 5.0 run with a carby.

Lots of thinking and engineering. But with a little of bit anything is possible..

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: F100

NSW, Australia

Thanks everyone for the imput it has given me some more ideas.
Yes Jacob I will be using the EF dash assembly and trying to run the elects through the 351 V8 Cleveland, using all the sensors for temp, oil etc connected to a fully bebuilt with mods 351C so I will be going from an 1996 EFI to a carby fueled 1970's engine, I will be using the EF wire harness for everything from the B pillar forward, including all fuse boxes, relays and control modules.
Believe it or not the EF dash is only 80mm smaller than the F100. That is only 40mm on each side, and yes I am right I measured it ages ago but have just gone out to the shed and rechecked it, yes 80mm, the EF dash is a lot deeper but I will be using the whole dash mountings, console and steering wheel and column out of the EF, it will be a lot of work but it will fit, might have to do some work on the firewall for the A/C and heater box but won't know until I start, that's why the engine is still on its rebuild stand.
The elect's are my main concern, I don't want to go through all of this to find that I can not use the gauges and climate control, the tacho seems that it will be a problem but I can use an afermarket unit if I have to. Again thanks for the feedback

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Probably wont be that hard really. Retro fit everything into the Effy and power it all off the EF loom..

I love the F100 ex ambos.. They just look big and tough.. My dads mate owned one in Tasmania and I loved sitting in the side seat in the back.

Can't wait to see more :).

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

You should be able to make / buy an adapter box for the Tacho. The Speedo will need a sender unit fitted to the gearbox, and the fuel guage will require a different sender. This can be done without any of the electronics from the EF I would still think about using EFI on it. That will sort out the Tacho, and should help with Fuel economy / easy starts. Other things you can use aftermarket, like remote central locking. You can get it all going, and add a bit at a time.

About the Tacho, older cars used pulses from the Dizzy, a V8 had 8 and a 6 had 6. Obvious but I am going somewhere ! With the newer Falcon motors, the Tacho gets a single pulse for each engine revolution ( or 2 because it is a 4 stroke ) The ECU sends this pulse to the cluster. This means that there is the same cluster for a 6 or V8. In the cluster, it is all made on a single circuit board. In the past most things were seperate, and you could graft in something more easily. Not so now.

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]