Fordmods Logo

FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET STORIES 

Page 30 of 213 [ 3193 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 213  Next

Post subject: Re: FUTURLANE ULTIMATE BUDGET BUILD
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

NZEA wrote:
fiend wrote:
Blah blah f**k blah
Lmao good s**t, chip+laptop+everything else is gonna be so sweet. Also if you come pitch a tent we will both be looking for a patch of dirt. Get back to you on a date for barby.
Awwww, comon mate. She won't mind... I promise to keep my IPOD stuck in my ears until well after midnight and leave before 8am each morning. She wont even know I'm there although may start asking question as to why I'm asking to use the toilet every day. Dude --- parts ;) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 278500.htm

ToranaGuy wrote:
There are some real numb skulls in the spare parts / wrecking business. " yeah sure buddy, it will fit your car " without even having a clue... They are tossers of the major variety. Keep at it man!
Yeah dude, couldn't agree more. I'd use stronger words myself. A half decent parts guy is worth his weight alright.

Here goes my effort for the day - spent a few hours talking trash with my mate who got back from holiday and he said that his calipers could read differences between faces by using the spike out the end (whatever) so I finally measured the input retainer accurately and did this...

Due to new FordMods resizing this image, it may pay to right click on it and "VIEW IMAGE" with Firefox or just click on the Photobucket page at http://www.photobucket.com/futurlane

Now I am just waiting on a clutch cable to show up from Aussieland and can start pulling auto out.
Shouldn't have sold the EA-ED one I bought - I'd be pulling the auto out right now! Actually, considering lifting the manual was very very very sore on shoulder I guess I should put it off for a week. Damnit.

The auto sparky disconnected the air bag computer and plugged the replacement I provided in and that fixed the air bag light. Now it's up to me to remove the dash a little and put the replacement in. I have a few other things to do behind the dash anyways, so will do it in one hit sometime soonish.

And RACE DIRECTOR --- I now have a left rear door that LOCKS when you unlock the car and UNLOCKS when you lock it. Hahahahahahahah. That will be a job for the morning... Tired, sore but happy to be covered in Futur/ane juice again....

Photobucket wants $400/year to display my photos on this site. f**k that. Photo bucket fixer add on for your browser. Firefox Chrome
My "build" thread, your royal HighNess... Where ought thou?... HERE IT IS YOU NZ PRICK... Oh, okay, as your honour pleases...
STUFF FOR SALE

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hey Fiend

Nice job, putting the T5 back together!

My advice is to take it steady. The Auto is a heap load heavier than the T5 and the top bolts are a b**ch to get at. Lots of extensions and a uni joint are required.

Hope your shoulder comes good soon.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

SA, Australia

fiend wrote:

Speaks for itself this does...
Mal Wood Auto rock. Bloody nice work guys. Happy indeed with my purchase.
Only now I am interested in putting it back on the right way up!..

Hey mate I did a search on Google for T5 front bearing retainer orientation and came up with a thread on allfordmustangs and found out the round notch goes up.

When you remove parts like that its best to mark the orientation before removing, normaly with a centre punch mark an the part being removed and on the body so you dont loose your mark.

Cheers

Josh

http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
And RACE DIRECTOR --- I now have a left rear door that LOCKS when you unlock the car and UNLOCKS when you lock it. Hahahahahahahah. That will be a job for the morning... Tired, sore but happy to be covered in Futur/ane juice again....

LOL! Been there, done that! Bet a box of choccie fish that it is the lock arm on the wrong hole (bottom one) instead of the top one!

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Fiend, your right about the parts dude worth his weight! Especially when they are giving you trade price because you buy so many parts there, yet you work in IT, not as a mechanic! Yes, i get trade price @ Bursons, because i have 6 car's i get parts for! :roll: 5 are mine! :twisted:

Also nice to read about the T5, i'll probably be wanting to rebuild mine in another 12mths time. I love my EB Ghia since i converted it to the T5 manual.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

BenJeD wrote:
Hey Fiend.Nice job, putting the T5 back together! My advice is to take it steady. The Auto is a heap... Lots of extensions and a uni joint are required.Hope your shoulder comes good soon.
All god Benj. I have moved a few auto transmission and gearboxes around and can safely carry a C4 auto fifty or sixty metres as long as there are no steps in the way. I have trouble with 4WD Auto trannies - I can carry them, but getting them up off the ground with my back and all is hard, so need them to be lifted a little first.

At present I only just managed to lift the bloody little T5 three or four foot and felt like I was going to pass out.

So - yes - take it steady indeed. Not really my nature, but will attempt just such.

Have managed to get out one auto before (a mess of a job, not without its humour) and have pulled the starter and bellhousing and flywheel with clutch out of an EB all by myself in the mud at Pick-A-Part. This is all the training I have done in preparation for the big day.

josh007 wrote:
Hey mate I did a search on Google for T5 front bearing retainer orientation and came up with a thread on allfordmustangs and found out the round notch goes up. When you remove parts like that its best to mark the orientation before removing, normaly with a centre punch mark an the part being removed and on the body so you dont loose your mark.
Mate - a search of the net is worthwhile no? I don't do that often enough considering I am a bit of a geek. What a clown.

Never mind - I looked carefully at the marks on the part and the casing and found which way it was installed originally --- and, as I was putting it back together, I just thought it would be better upside down as the notches lined up on the internal parts to provide a better oil flow around the front bearing. This is possibly what has caused the whole problem at the front of this box... Some idiot put this on upside down meaning the bearings didn't get enough oil, which means they died, which means the whole kit and cabodal shat upon itself big time.

I put it on UPSIDE DOWN (which is the same way your search suggests is the RIGHT WAY UP). In other words - the care, or lack thereof, given to this T5 of mine has been astounding. It's going to love me for my efforts and operate with no issues for years to come.

racingdictator wrote:
fender wrote:
I now have a left rear door that LOCKS when you unlock the car and UNLOCKS when you lock it.
Been there, done that! Bet a box of choccie fish that it is the lock arm on the wrong hole (bottom one) instead of the top one!
Have not actually got to that bit yet. Been busy yelling "bloody shoulder" and "bloody back" and "bloody knees" at my engine bay. I am not going to take you on with that bet. I believe you could be right.

By the way- I know you've been there - I wouldn't have even bothered commenting on it otherwise - Just made me laugh that we had the same issues within weeks...! Isn't it even the same door?

TurbonaGuy wrote:
Fiend, your right about the parts dude worth his weight!
Yeahp. 55% of these guys appear to be absolute no hopers, 35% are rip offs and 5% good guys and 5% complete a***hole who actually know stuff won't work when selling it to you but who must need my money more than I do.

55% no hopers include
** The sand blaster who carries on about "all the V8 boys" all the time when selling me a crap M76 box out of a 3.3L mid 80's s**t as a "strong box - direct bolt on to your motor - comes out of a 99 Falcon - will also fit V8 - blah blah"

35% ripoffs include
** The mechanic guy who gave good advice but then asked for $120 for a bellhousing. I got a bellhousing, flywheel and clutch from pick-a-part for $45. I then asked him about the plastic cover and the bits to connect cable to pedal... "$100..." Hahahaha... Got another clutch, cover, fork and bearing for $20 instead. God knows how much he would have charged for a gearbox or the complete conversion kit - but I promise you he still has those parts sitting in his garage gathering dust.
** Special mention must go to FORD NZ - Input Bearing Retainer - $800... Clutch Cable $350... Clutch pedal to cable connection $100.
(input retainer $100 delivered - MalWoodAuto.com... Clutch cable $60-group buy FordMods... Clutch pedal connection $6 home made)

5% GOOD GUYS
** Other than myself (go on, ask anyone... It's true I tell you) I'd have to say the likes of beNZ EA and W11 and old mate HORACE from Wainui. Some deals include - relatively nice EXTRACTORS for the old EF Mont Mags... $80 stainless exhaust from header to tailpipe... $55 XR6 steering wheel...

Quote:
Also nice to read about the T5, i'll probably be wanting to rebuild mine in another 12mths time. I love my EB Ghia since i converted it to the T5 manual.
Yeah - I got some dude from Wellington contacting me on this site with regards to info for his own car. That's pretty full on - people actually coming to this site just to find me for advice! Anyways - the manual conversion is not to be sneezed at!! That's for freaking sure!

Still have yet to get mine anywhere near the car (it has not even been in the boot of my car yet) but am getting there. At least I have a lot of advice for people on the errors and pitfalls of the conversion process! What NOT to buy, what NOT to waste time on, what NOT to pull apart and who NOT to bother asking for advice...

Stay positive Fiend, there's way to many NOTs in that one paragraph.

---------------------

Car still has no warrant or reg (which means $400 tickets). Will take out airbag light until such time as can work out how to get the bloody airbag computer up under the dash... I was going to do a few other things behind the dash within six months anyway....

Have it booked in for a once over with a tame workshop owner for Monday. May have to take rear sway bar off simply as it may be easier to do that than explain the system for keeping the brakelines stable... Ho hum.

Should go do something about that rear door locking.

Spent most of the day yesterday swearing at myself in the engine bay. I was mainly swearing at myself due to taking shortcuts with my phenolic spacer installation which I think has resulted in a leak. Car started idling at 1000 and doesn't drop revs quickly when you've floored it... All I did yesterday was change an injector... HANG ON... Let me start this again...

INJECTOR ISSUE
==============

Almost a year ago I had a problem with cylinder six. I posted on FORDMODS as I was meant to be driving 600km round trip for Grandads funeral and the car was running on five cylinders all of a sudden. Was given various theories, including the dreaded blown head.

I fixed it by simply changing the ECU to a 4DCD in the end.

The story went something like ---
Pulled off all the leads, all getting spark (ouch a couple of times)
Pulling lead 6 off whilst engine running did nothing to the running of the engine.
Pulling spark plug out of cylinder six did nothing to running of engine (ie - it was still running the same without the spark plug in the hole!)
This lead me to believe it was a fuel issue.
A bit of guesswork at about 7pm in the darkness got me swapping computers.
At 8.30pm after borrowing money for petrol I was on my way to Grandads farewell gig in a beautifully running 6 cylinder car.
This lead me to believe that the original computer was f**k.
A decent guess seemed to be that the injector was f**k and was destroying the computer somehow.
This is what I found yesterday ---
One totally broken injector alright. I replaced it with one from a similar Ford, but the part numbers are slightly different and put everything back on. Is now perfect - Engine is running smoother and throttle response seems a lot better (could just be due to cleaning throttle out entirely of muck). It even idles smoothly in gear now, although in the habit of hitting neutral anyways...

And that, is another large posting from Fiend. It's worth reading in a roundabout kind of a way.

As an example of odd things happening, it is interesting. Not quite like X-files or Twilight Zone, but nonetheless quirky.

Photobucket wants $400/year to display my photos on this site. f**k that. Photo bucket fixer add on for your browser. Firefox Chrome
My "build" thread, your royal HighNess... Where ought thou?... HERE IT IS YOU NZ PRICK... Oh, okay, as your honour pleases...
STUFF FOR SALE

Last edited by fiend on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: PHENOLIC SPACERS for Broad Band Manifold...
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I wasn't going to... But hey, who cares...
Kind of let myself with my lack of secret keeping ability at times

It's been in a while and initial results are quite okay really. Had no idea how much heat this would actually reduce, but it seems to go quite well indeed. Waiting for more test results from others and users of other designs, but it's doing some good in my engine bay. Not sure if it's worth all the time and effort and stress and money, but it's working and is reducing intake temp's.

Already have ideas for improvements ;)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72184 | http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=120931

STUFF FOR SALE

Last edited by fiend on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

nice detective work.

Good score the wheel, I got one from the wreckers a bit worn but leather and black. I need a black airbag still.

to the post office tomorrow.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

My black airbag was purely a spare one I had which was cleaned up with degreaser, dishwashing water and scrubber brush, slightly roughed up with a light steel wool and sand paper, dried real good and sprayed with vinyl paint... It's been there nine months or longer and looks sweet even tho I toot the horn more than most. It's the best looking bit of kit touched with that re-colour vinyl stuff actually. Fully pro, other than moving up to the AU ones...

Now trying to talk the guy into giving me a EF XR6 MANUAL ECU and a clear repeater for $150. Mate - Next time I find a wreck to wreck, I'll be charging top dollar for bloody everything. Even tho I made around $2000 out of the last one, that was a while ago and am sick to the back teeth of having to pay for these bloody parts through my nose! Cheers Rickbrother.

STUFF FOR SALE

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
My black airbag was purely a spare one I had which was cleaned up with degreaser, dishwashing water and scrubber brush, slightly roughed up with a light steel wool and sand paper, dried real good and sprayed with vinyl paint... It's been there nine months or longer and looks sweet even tho I toot the horn more than most. It's the best looking bit of kit touched with that re-colour vinyl stuff actually. Fully pro, other than moving up to the AU ones...

Now trying to talk the guy into giving me a EF XR6 MANUAL ECU and a clear repeater for $150. Mate - Next time I find a wreck to wreck, I'll be charging top dollar for bloody everything. Even tho I made around $2000 out of the last one, that was a while ago and am sick to the back teeth of having to pay for these bloody parts through my nose! Cheers Rickbrother.

I paid $150 for my auto ecu from aus... :evil:

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Broke NZ guys wrote:
s**t. Mate, you so should have let me find one for you. I coulda done one for $100 and made $60! That could have paid for a weeks worth of food and a new pair of shoes from the op shop.

Phaaarrrrkkk... (disappointing)

Mate - wish I'd never put that BBM on the scrap pile now too (KNEW that would happen when I sold it as scrap for $10 coz no one wanted it...) Have a good plan for the BBM and the larger throttle body that I have to find $200 AU to pay for quick smart.

Fiendbot Auto Fordmod Updater ver 666.A wrote:
UPDATE RECEIVED
data_inc="PEDAL.JPG"
verbal_crapola="Todays update is that I went to get a warrant and discovered the auto is on its way out (knew that anyway, surprised it has lasted this long) and was failed for the airbag light being on (I know, I know, it will be done) and the left wheel bearing was rubbing. To my disgust I went to auto shop and bought a wheel bearing and saw the price had been reduced on these pedals. Pulled the left wheel off all the way and found that there was no seal in the back and a bit of pumice had wedged itself in there creating a noise very similar to a stuffed bearing. The bearings were fine. Put the new ones in anyway, along with the rubber seal bit that was missing from whomever did it last. Put the new pedals in. Took some doing. Didn't bother with the bloody stupid "universal fit" things and drilled straight through the pedals and used stainless square drive screws with washers on back to hold them instead. Means I have a pile of left over little bits for the mates garage to absorb into its various nooks and crannies."
received="Fiend_Sony_k850i"
date="16_02_09:20:16"

STUFF FOR SALE

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:56 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

SA, Australia

Hey mate, As we south aussies dont have to get a warrant for rego I have no idea about how hard it is to pass? we just register our cars when we need to for 3,6 or 12 months. Even if the rego is out of date for 2 years!

I hate wheel bearings, I had one collapse on me once. I was onley travelling 60 at the time and i was so close to home i kept driving really slow lol.

The pedals look good mate, why do you have 4?

Cheers

Josh

http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

joshieT5007 wrote:
Hey mate, as we south Aussies don't have to get a warrant for rego I have no idea about how hard it is to pass? we just register our cars when we need to for 3,6 or 12 months. Even if the rego is out of date for 2 years!
Damn. That sounds like a cool place. Some of USA was like that too a while back. We have to have continuous rego - if you miss a month or two not only do you get $200 fine but you have to back pay all the difference before they'll issue an up to date one. Hey - check this link out... Classic... http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=th3221&search=Check Have a look at the odometer readings near the bottom.
Quote:
I hate wheel bearings, I had one collapse on me once. I was only traveling 60 at the time and i was so close to home i kept driving really slow lol.
Slow is good when it comes to that side of things I guess. Would suggest it not happening in the first place would be even better mind you....
Quote:
The pedals look good mate, why do you have 4?
The right one is "GO". Second to right is "STOP". Second to left is "SPLIT MOTOR FROM MANUAL BOX". Far left is "MAKE AUTO BOX SHIFT SO FAST IT CHIRPS THE WHEELS AND GOES A LITTLE SIDEWAYS IN THE WET".

As you know, I have not got the manual box in yet, so the "split engine from gearbox" pedal is still not doing anything. When the gearbox goes in the "make auto tranny grip like s**t" pedal will be removed or converted to do the high beam / low beam toggle. Or maybe the diving lights on / off to separate them from the parklamp circuit... Hmmmm...
8-)

STUFF FOR SALE

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

fiend, i have an EF manual ECU for sale if your interested, but am chasing near what i paid for seeming as it took me ages to find one. Will be $165 plus whatever post is to NZ

however all depending if a person on ebay who used the "buy it now" button intends on paying for it. He made payment via paypal even though i stated in huge bold letters to contact me for payment details. I cant accept paypal so am waiting to see if he still wants it....

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
Broke NZ guys wrote:
s**t. Mate, you so should have let me find one for you. I coulda done one for $100 and made $60! That could have paid for a weeks worth of food and a new pair of shoes from the op shop.

Phaaarrrrkkk... (disappointing)

Mate - wish I'd never put that BBM on the scrap pile now too (KNEW that would happen when I sold it as scrap for $10 coz no one wanted it...) Have a good plan for the BBM and the larger throttle body that I have to find $200 AU to pay for quick smart.

[/quote]

I know, twas before I met you...had been getting the runaround from sh!t wreckers trying to sell me EF ones instead of EL etc, was getting desperate...

Twin throttle body on the BBM would be awesome...or are you thinking front entry intake?????

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Sort by  
 Page 30 of 213  [ 3193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 213  Next