Fordmods Logo

1999 AU -> OBDII compliant? 

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: 1999 AU -> OBDII compliant?
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

anybody know if that model is OBD-II compliant?, from the information i've read, would suggest that it is, but i have tried a scan tool (www.scantool.net), using the PWM protocol, which is used, at least, for US delivered Fords, and it doesnt work?, i really interested in accessing the error codes.

thanks.[/quote]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FGX xr6

VIC, Australia

I think the AU on wards are supposedly OBD II compliant. The scantool I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4543270680&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT wont work on AU or BA. As a matter of fact it wont work on VT VX and VY Commohores either, which are supposed to be OBD II compliant. My scanner works fine on newer jap and Eurotrash but for some reason Aussie cars must have a different protocol or something.

-Dave

If you can't do the speed limit, get the F*ck out of the right lane!

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Nanger wrote:
I think the AU on wards are supposedly OBD II compliant. The scantool I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4543270680&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT wont work on AU or BA. As a matter of fact it wont work on VT VX and VY Commohores either, which are supposed to be OBD II compliant. My scanner works fine on newer jap and Eurotrash but for some reason Aussie cars must have a different protocol or something.

i ordered one of those already, from the research ive done, its mandatory for all US delivered cars to be OBDII compliant,but no such regulation exists in Australia, so manufacturers in Australia dont often bother.

The connector on the falcon very closely matches the SAEJ1850-PWM OBDII protocol, but as noted, the scantool did not like this,the NGS or WDS systems will work but i dont have a spare $3 or $4K!. so when i get the scantool from ebay, im going to probe the lines with my oscilloscope and try to see if the ECU responds at all to the scantool queries, it could be the (Ford) ECU requires some intial handshake before giving up the info or that a line needs to be pulled up or down.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:26 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

dude let us know if this works....

as far as i know the AU is OBII
but i taold this to nager after he tried the tool on his cars, and it did not work what it could be is that since the tool is US made it only recognises/reads us/european vehicles ( ie code wise ) i mean what AUS vehicles are in the us/europe ( yer yer ok the munro )
hence the scan tool may just need to be Flashed with the aussie code or somethign for it to work on the OBII cars :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:31 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

just found this on the link nanger posted

ake sure the ignition is in the 2nd position. Your car OBD-II connector has 16 pins:

1. ECU
2. J1850 bus + , VPW data, PWM data
3. engine rpm signal
4. chassis ground
5. signal ground
6. CAN High (J2284)
7. ISO 9141-2 K line (ECU), engine load data, etc
8. ignition
9. ABS,traction control,stability control, electronic brake proportioning, Brake Assist System, antislip regulation, electronic shift lever detector
10. J1850 bus - , PWM data
11. transmission
12. Activity Module/Extended Activity Module, transfer case
13. airbag, seatbelt, SRS, audio, navigation, CD changer, teleaid
14. CAN Low (J2284)
15. ISO 9142-2 L line
16. battery power positive (+14V)

Note: If your car has one or two green or blue pins above, this unit will work on your car. I do not have a product that works on yellow pins (CAN protocol) yet. Other pin 1,3,8,9,11-13 are manufacture discretion pins, could be different function or empty.

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
dude let us know if this works....

as far as i know the AU is OBII
but i taold this to nager after he tried the tool on his cars, and it did not work what it could be is that since the tool is US made it only recognises/reads us/european vehicles ( ie code wise ) i mean what AUS vehicles are in the us/europe ( yer yer ok the munro )
hence the scan tool may just need to be Flashed with the aussie code or somethign for it to work on the OBII cars :)

there are 4 protocols within OBDII, SAEJ1850-PWM,SAEJ1850-VPW,ISO 9141 (Asia) & KWP2000, i still think its PWM, but perhaps has some particular sequence to initialize the interface, which technically, means it is not OBDII compliant.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
just found this on the link nanger posted

ake sure the ignition is in the 2nd position. Your car OBD-II connector has 16 pins:

1. ECU
2. J1850 bus + , VPW data, PWM data
3. engine rpm signal
4. chassis ground
5. signal ground
6. CAN High (J2284)
7. ISO 9141-2 K line (ECU), engine load data, etc
8. ignition
9. ABS,traction control,stability control, electronic brake proportioning, Brake Assist System, antislip regulation, electronic shift lever detector
10. J1850 bus - , PWM data
11. transmission
12. Activity Module/Extended Activity Module, transfer case
13. airbag, seatbelt, SRS, audio, navigation, CD changer, teleaid
14. CAN Low (J2284)
15. ISO 9142-2 L line
16. battery power positive (+14V)

Note: If your car has one or two green or blue pins above, this unit will work on your car. I do not have a product that works on yellow pins (CAN protocol) yet. Other pin 1,3,8,9,11-13 are manufacture discretion pins, could be different function or empty.

Frank I checked this out before I bought mine and according to the diagram the AU has the pins in the right spot. Could it be a case of Ford disabling the system somehow? The other thing I don't understand is if OBD II is supposed to be a standard why is there a few different protocols? Sort of defeats the purpose.

-Dave

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah, OBD2 gets even better.... the standard legislated certain 'minimums' that the protocol had to adhere to - the kind of data needed, the manner in which it communicated...

But then there are 'enhanced' versions specific to each manufacturer.. which provide information above and beyond the OBD standards, and I think this is where ECU flashing comes into it...

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

And its home page

http://www.obdii.com/

May have little relevance to Australia.... god bless america :wink:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

More info:

Seems like OBDII kicked off in 03 here, and will be required buy 08... ah well, we're only 12 years behind...

http://norcom.net.au/~bpt/can_scan_tool.htm

Might wanna try your scan tools on an explorer or focus or probe or something....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
More info:

Seems like OBDII kicked off in 03 here, and will be required buy 08... ah well, we're only 12 years behind...

http://norcom.net.au/~bpt/can_scan_tool.htm

Might wanna try your scan tools on an explorer or focus or probe or something....

yeah, seen that page, the CAN protocol is to replace all previous OBDII protocols, at least for Ford, also, i read somewhere that there is OBDIII in the works.

anyway, i want to get something to work, i dont want to have to 'assume the position' at a stealership or local garage, ive always done my own work, but on vehicles without much in the way of computerisation.

Last edited by darrinh on Wed May 18, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Another problem I have found is locating the connector on the car. Jap cars are easy, usually under the dash, but Euro cars hide them, under consuls behind panels ect. It seems its law that they have to have them but you are allowed to hide them if you like.

-Dave

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

ok. apparently ford uses something called SCP:

Quote:
The information is sent through Ford's standard corporate protocol, or SCP, the company's proprietary version of the SAE J1850 diagnostic data communications protocol.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... page=2&c=y

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

darrinh wrote:
ok. apparently ford uses something called SCP:

Quote:
The information is sent through Ford's standard corporate protocol, or SCP, the company's proprietary version of the SAE J1850 diagnostic data communications protocol.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... page=2&c=y

Ha Ha, got this off the popular mechanics site. Obviously a company car.

here it is..........

In addition to learning more about the mechanical performance of the vehicles, Ford has made other interesting discoveries. One person starts up his F-150 pickup and immediately holds it at wide-open throttle in Park for several minutes every morning. Many customers who say they need more power hardly ever run their engines wide open.

-Dave

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

the pinout for my connecter is:

Pin-----Ignition On---- /---- OFF
2___________0.05v______0v
4____________gnd______ gnd
5___________ gnd______gnd
7____________10.30v____10.53v
10___________5.06v______0v
13___________0.41v______0v
16___________12v______12v

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Nanger wrote:

i also brought one of these, doesnt work as you have said, so i had a look inside, it contains an Atmel 89C251 microcontroller (based on the old Intel 8051), so i will probably be able to download the code and may be able to modify it to work with AU fords.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next