Fordmods Logo

5.0 ECU Options (manual conversion discussion) 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Fairlane G220

SA, Australia

your a champ banarcus, many thanks!

Like a $100 note in the middle of a garbage truck. If you can get it its great but is it REALLY worth it some times?

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Fairlane G220

SA, Australia

heres the TCU pin diagram banarcus sent to me. This would make a good sticky Martin!

Like a $100 note in the middle of a garbage truck. If you can get it its great but is it REALLY worth it some times?

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I am not sure how different the EEC V is, but I installed a T5 in my EF Fairmont and the only electrics I have changed is to short the start inhibit and connect the reverse switch.

I have installed no resistors of any sort. My TCU is completely removed.

I don't think I suffer from lack of advance at all. The car is soooo much quicker of the line than it was with the auto, and anyone who drove it would agree there is nothing wrong with the ignition curve. In fact you have to very careful in the throttle to stop wheel spin, but my treads are not the best so that could be part of the reason.

The only trouble I have is when I engine brake, the PWM ICS closes completely to try to bring the idle back to normal spec. When I put the clutch in the revs drop seriously. When cold it could even stall. It's easy to get the driving technique set to avoid this.

But, I have an EEC V, which might be a very different beast.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Post subject: Re: 5.0 ECU Options (manual conversion discussion)
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

sourbastard wrote:
Im dropping the 5.0 from a 1992 DC Fairlane LTD into my 1965 XP. One of the engineering challenges faced is the fact that the ECU in the LTD is for an auto, and I plan on running a C4/2500 stall converter combination behind the motor(BTR's suck the wang :P )

What options do I have for the ECU on this setup. Should I try and hunt down an EB 5.0/Manual ECU from a wreckers? Or purchase an A9L/A9P and use tweecer? Is there a third option that doesnt cost over a three or four hundred dollars?

Will the 92 ECU even have a real problem if it cant detect the TCU/BTR? Or should I ignore it.

Time has probably past responding :D but the answer is just use it :D

I put a 5.0 in my 4Runner in 1993 and initially mated it to the Toy auto and used a basic EB V8 auto ecu (1DGA) with zip wiring or diodes etc to any ecu pins. Worked perfect for 7 years.

In 2000 I swapped to a 5 speed and again used the same ecu. No issues at all. Since then I have done a variety of major engine mods and although I now have a collection of various auto and manual V8 ecu's including a Tweecer I've yet to use, I'm still using the original EB auto ecu and my engine is far from stock :D.

It's now done just over 250,000klms with the V8 and this ecu so I'm now giving it a refresh and doing a 347 and have no doubt after its all done this auto ecu will still do the job. All I've ever changed was the maf electronics to Pro M for 24lb injectors and will be swapping to a 36lb electronics for the 347.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Use 100-120 ohm 5w resistors for all solenoids, except S5, use a 50ohm 5w - you'll find they won't get too hot (if at all).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Here's an option....

Grab one of the many U.S. 5.0 EEC's available.
Buy an Ostrich realtime emulator and EMU EEC adaptor from craig moates for about $200 U.S. Use either TunerproRT or Paul booths EECeditor software which are both available free and tune in real time.
Ostrich V2 has real time data tracing too(haven't used this though).

Pete.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Havnt used the data trace Pete, but the Ostrich is a bloody awesome bit of gear. No need to get an ECU from the states, as they work just fine on the Aussie ones.

Cheers
Jaysen

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

That assumes you have the time or inclination to work out your own definition files for the Aussie EEC's. Otherwise one of the nutted out U.S. EEC's is the easy way.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Data tracing doesnt work on the Ostrich Emu setup for the fords, hence why you wont be able to find an ALDL ads file for TunerPro, you will need to get diagnostics via the OBD connection.

On the topic of def files, if anyone is interested, Ive got a one to suit 6DFC & 6DFD EL XR8 Manual, 6DGC & 6DGD EL Fairmont Ghia & Fairlane Ghia Auto, and will be starting on one for the 4DDG EF XR8 in a few weeks.

Ive also got the bins for all of these, and if you have an auto ECU that you want to truely convert to manual, you have made upgrades ie MAF, injectors, cam, heads ect, then these are the way to go.

Cheers
Jaysen

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:14 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I'm interested Jase,
Fire away. BTW are they tunerpro def's or eeceditor or what?

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

They are tunerpro xdf's, It isnt complete, but hopefully if I can get it out there, other people can have a look and improve on what Ive started. I cant upload the individual files, or a ZIP file for download, so Ill need to email it to you. There are very minor differences between the FC/FD & GC/GD, however the FC/GC files are almost identical, and same for the FD/GD. If any one else is interested, PM me your email address.

Cheers
Jaysen

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Pete, had much luck with EECEditor, I didnt like it, probably because I didnt find building the def files as easy as TunerPro. How did you go with my xdf/bin combo, did you get it to work?

Have you got anything that you could share with me?

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Hi Jaysen,

I've only had a quick glance at the moment. I'm assuming that not all of the def file is nutted out? I mean you have lot and lots of tags but do they all match up?
I like tunerpro better too.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

A lot of it was converted from the GUFB strategy, Im sure that some of it is legacy code, however Ive been tuning with my Ostrich and F3 chip, working through parameters as I need them. Ive been chasing an idle when stone cold issue, but as you dont have much time to sort it out before ECT comes up, its a little tedious.

My setup is:
World Windsor Jr's with a port clean up
Ported HO with 24lb injectors
E303 with 1.6 rollers

Next to be played with is:
Explorer when I get it ported
1.72 rollers

Things Ive played with
Rev PIP period
Rev Limiters (half fuel only)
Speed Limiters
Fuel Maps (both base & WOT)
Fuel vs ECT
Spark Maps (both base & WOT)
Global spark multipliers
Spark vs ECT
CT Spark table
DASMIN & min MPH
Injector Slopes
Idle Speeds
TB Airflow constant

Im playing with it as much as I can, but time is my limiting factor at the moment.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BTW, if its not legacy code, and Ive defined it ie 0x2aXXX location rather than 0x9XXX, then most likely it will work. Ive had another discovery with another definition, being a later EECIV than the A9L, so that might open up some new doors too when I sort through it, being that our aussie EECV's are running EECIV code for the most part of it in the EF/EL's

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next