Fordmods Logo

$5 CODE READER 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: $5 CODE READER
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

I never thought it could be so simple to read codes.

=

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I went for a drive across to Jaycar Hornsby and I purchased exactly what you described and..... Absolutely fantastic.

I have 1 code for KOEO and
1 code for KOER... Now I need to find out what they mean...

KOEO - 157
KOER - 998

Looks like my MAF is buggared!? But I replaced it only 12 mths ago. Might put the old one on and see what happens...

'98 NL Fairlane Ghia 5.0l

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 XG ute

QLD, Australia

BJSV8 wrote:
I went for a drive across to Jaycar Hornsby and I purchased exactly what you described and..... Absolutely fantastic.

KOEO - 157
KOER - 998

Looks like my MAF is buggared!? But I replaced it only 12 mths ago. Might put the old one on and see what happens...

sorry... are you saying you bought a test light and it does the job?? how do you hook it up to the test socket..?

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

This looks like a great idea - and within my budget OMG!!!
Can't wait to try it out...

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

IMO you can't beat Murrays...

Yeah this works and its cheap (and seems some what primitive compared to testing devices)...

Murrays is easy... Plug it it in... Turn switch to "on" and display in numerical form all the codes so no counting... and if you have it pluged into a a computer you can walk off because the PC will log them all in a list... Worth every cent if you ask me...

It's not hard...

Shorting the two pins puts the computer in diag mode... The computer proceeds to ground a pin in a series of pulses so to see this you need power to a light and then ground wire to the pulses pin and as the pin grounds, the light comes on... Shock horror amazement :?

Welcome to the days before propriety software and information formats that make this type of DIY testing impossible on your own car with everything from AU onwards...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

moose wrote:
I am still having trouble with the AU IAT sensor does any one now how to test it I Have the specs for the EL one but I can't get a reading from the AU IAT.
I have attached the docs that I used to test these Sensors.
Thanks

i may be wrong but all au's use an integral ait and map sensor making it completely incompatable with earlier models ? even to the point i don't know how you fitted it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

984.OEL wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:

KOEO - 157
KOER - 998

sorry... are you saying you bought a test light and it does the job?? how do you hook it up to the test socket..?

Yeah mate. First make sure the ignition key is turned to OFF and the trans is in Neutrel. I made up a bridging wire - so a spade terminal on each end of a wire... And connect this with one end pushed onto the top far left terminal or A terminal...
Then I bought a 12v led light which has negative and positive colored wires and crimp 2x smallest alligator clips in the end of these wires.

Then connect the black or negative wire to the top 5th from the left or E terminal which is Engine STO and the red wire to the bottom far right terminal or T terminal...

When u do this the red LED (which I bought) should light up.

Turn the ignition to ON. Don't start the engine... Yet...

As you do this called the KOEO key on engine off, there will be a quick flutter from the light... And the several code 10's which will read as 1... 1... 1... And this will repeat... Some people get confused here and think this 111 is system pass... But wait... For me after this I got code 157... This repeated twice and then no more flashing...

Now for the KOER, key on engine running...
Leave everything plugged in the same way...

Start the engine... After a few seconds the engine with rev up and hold at about 2000rpm and watch for more codes, if any... Once all the codes have repeated and finished, the engine will return to idle...

I will add a picture of my test diagnostic gear so you can see... :)

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Edit - when you connect the bridging wire to Terminal A make sure you connect the other end of the wire to the terminal directly below it, terminal L :)

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I can't add the photo to this thread as the iPhone won't let me lol

Will do so when I have the Internet back up at home next week.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

BJSV8 wrote:
984.OEL wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:

KOEO - 157
KOER - 998

Yeah mate. First make sure the ignition key is turned to OFF and the trans is in Neutrel. I made up a bridging wire - so a spade terminal on each end of a wire... And connect this with one end pushed onto the top far left terminal or A terminal...
Then I bought a 12v led light which has negative and positive colored wires and crimp 2x smallest alligator clips in the end of these wires.

Then connect the black or negative wire to the top 5th from the left or E terminal which is Engine STO and the red wire to the bottom far right terminal or T terminal...

As you do this called the KOEO key on engine off, there will be a quick flutter from the light... And the several code 10's which will read as 1... 1... 1... And this will repeat... Some people get confused here and think this 111 is system pass... But wait... For me after this I got code 157... This repeated twice and then no more flashing...

Start the engine... After a few seconds the engine with rev up and hold at about 2000rpm and watch for more codes, if any... Once all the codes have repeated and finished, the engine will return to idle...

Code Reader -
Attachment:
IMG_05802.jpg
IMG_05802.jpg [ 274.57 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 XG ute

QLD, Australia

BJSV8 wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:
984.OEL wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:

KOEO - 157
KOER - 998

Code Reader -
Attachment:
IMG_05802.jpg

Cheers for that...will give it a go on the weekend.... :D

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

A bit earlier someone asked if a sparkies screwdriver type of thing would work as a test light...sorry but I don't think it will. Those normally have a neon light in them instead of a LED and are designed for 240vAC (not 12v/5vDC like we want for our ECU test light)

When I made mine I put the LED inside an old texta/pen shell, shows up better in the sun

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

984.OEL wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:
984.OEL wrote:
BJSV8 wrote:

KOEO - 157
KOER - 998

Code Reader -
Attachment:
IMG_05802.jpg

Cheers for that...will give it a go on the weekend.... :D

How'd you go??

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i did the exact thing from what you guys said and all i got was a bloody couple of loud thuds from the engine with no light displayed

other question

i have a spare ecu and i want to swap it over, what exactly do i have to do

example

install ecu leave ignition on for 30mins

or

install ecu run engine and drive off

because there is so many ways of doing it im that dam confussed

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

i cannot belive how many people asked how does it work/ etc,,,,,, its practically screwing a light bulb in

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next