Fordmods Logo

Adding remote car start alarm to an ef???????? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:48 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

burchie_man wrote:
Pyroay, where abouts did you get your alarm fitted?

I came accross a guy who is a bit of an electronics man and spent a few days cracking a way around the smartlock. Not supprisingly he will not share his secret but for $1,000 he will install an alarm with remote start and a heap of other features............. dont want to pay $1,000 thats fine, then buy the alarm ($750) and fit it yourself. I didn';t think it was worth the effort for $250 to fit it let a lone trying to crack something that plenty of people have had problems with.

But thats just me.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

pyroay wrote:
burchie_man wrote:
Pyroay, where abouts did you get your alarm fitted?

I came accross a guy who is a bit of an electronics man and spent a few days cracking a way around the smartlock. Not supprisingly he will not share his secret but for $1,000 he will install an alarm with remote start and a heap of other features............. dont want to pay $1,000 thats fine, then buy the alarm ($750) and fit it yourself. I didn';t think it was worth the effort for $250 to fit it let a lone trying to crack something that plenty of people have had problems with.

But thats just me.

Awesome stuff; are you willing to share this guys details mate; if so post em up or PM me as i am trying to find someone who can do exactly this, everywhere i ask they say "its imposible, just forget about it..." :cry:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairlane by Tickford

VIC, Australia

Yeah I'm the same as Daniel. Gotta look after the fairlane.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Ive been looking at a remote car alarm system for mine aswell, lucky I have no smart lock... but i do have a manual (hehe)... I thought you should leave the manual in gear so it can't be rolled away? say if some fick snips your hand brake cable?

so remote start shouldn't be in a manual car? (now I see disadvantages of manuals lol).

As for bypassing smartlock, and reflective surface I thought the the key had a chip mounted in it, and the code sat on that... And that way the smartlock read the code on this chip and then verfied it. That would explain why you would leave a new key in for 30 mins, so smartlock can relearn its code?

The second ignition barrel is a bit excessive... I was thinking more along the lines of, find the wires which go to the ignition barel from the smart lock, and then just crack open your spare key, or buy a new one, and ge tthe chip (if they actually have one.. not sure) from that one, and solder it onto those wires... that way the immobiliser is permanently disabled.

The next thing would be to hook up another alarm system that works of a remote, and has a relay sitting before this switch, and when you disarm the alarm, the circuit with this chip is complete... then you effectively have smartlock, just it can be controlled remotely.

enough rambling... such to have smartlock somtimes... lucky me :P

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:22 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

justfordima wrote:
Ive been looking at a remote car alarm system for mine aswell, lucky I have no smart lock... but i do have a manual (hehe)... I thought you should leave the manual in gear so it can't be rolled away? say if some fick snips your hand brake cable?

so remote start shouldn't be in a manual car? (now I see disadvantages of manuals lol).

As for bypassing smartlock, and reflective surface I thought the the key had a chip mounted in it, and the code sat on that... And that way the smartlock read the code on this chip and then verfied it. That would explain why you would leave a new key in for 30 mins, so smartlock can relearn its code?

The second ignition barrel is a bit excessive... I was thinking more along the lines of, find the wires which go to the ignition barel from the smart lock, and then just crack open your spare key, or buy a new one, and ge tthe chip (if they actually have one.. not sure) from that one, and solder it onto those wires... that way the immobiliser is permanently disabled.

The next thing would be to hook up another alarm system that works of a remote, and has a relay sitting before this switch, and when you disarm the alarm, the circuit with this chip is complete... then you effectively have smartlock, just it can be controlled remotely.

enough rambling... such to have smartlock somtimes... lucky me :P

Cheers

For SmartLock (EB2-AU1) the code is in the ignition barrel and activated when the key is On (I hope it's not start).

For SmartShield (AU2 etc) there is a chip in the key (aka transponder).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

well, that makes life even easier... find the wires which "activate" the smart lock... just do some random wires, and one of them would be a sensor or a switch I should say that tells smartlock that the key has been turned... the tuck it under the dash somewhere... once again, you could stick a relay onto it.

and for EBII It says for smartlock to leave a new key or something rather in for 30 mins to get smartlock to learn? is that with a new key or after resetting the computer?
It also said in the on position, so I guess thats where it gets checked.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:30 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

justfordima wrote:
well, that makes life even easier... find the wires which "activate" the smart lock... just do some random wires, and one of them would be a sensor or a switch I should say that tells smartlock that the key has been turned... the tuck it under the dash somewhere... once again, you could stick a relay onto it.

Not that easy, the 'activate' part is completly within the barrel. The wires coming from it, are a coded signal to the BEM, which then sends antoher coded signal to the ECU.

Aparently shoving some reflective material into the lock will fool the sensors in the barrel to send the signal to the BEM. But it'd be easier (for for $45 not too expensive) to add a second hidden/start disabled barrel.

I'll set it up so it works, then CUT the tabs for the starter relay of the second barrel so it can't be used to start the car.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I haven't got me extra barrel yet, so the plan will be better when I've got something to play with.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah, I was about to say, steal one from the wreckers, and just chop it into halves and see what it's inside... then you would have a better idea.

Anyway.. good luck, should be interesting to see what you come with.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

heres a photo of a spare ED barrel ive got here thats broken... AFAIK EF/EL ones are the same..
the smartlock wiring is the section of wiring that comes out half way along the barrel... so u could just not plug in the other wiring maybe? depends where smartlock gets power to read the key?

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

smartlock would always have a constant 12V. it can't just be an ACC, because it stores memory which needs power. As for those wires.. it wouldn't be hard to figure out what each one does... is there a wiring diagram for these in teh genuine ford workshop manual?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:35 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I may find a way to modify existing barrels. Bu that may be a security risk. I'll find out more, and will keep y'all posted on my progress.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

yeh true that actually.. ill check 2morro...

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I may find a way to modify existing barrels. Bu that may be a security risk. I'll find out more, and will keep y'all posted on my progress.

I still think that hooking a relay from your alarm up to one of those wires will be good enough. As in when you arm your car, it locks the car, closes windows whatever and also closes a relay, in between one of those wires... hence enabling smart lock.. then when you disarm it, it connects those wires back up (with the relay) and smartlock deactivated. at the press of a button.. you can also run it parallel with the remote starter relay.

Security risk minimal... as its the same thing as before, just smartlock gets deactivated only when you unlock your car not when you turn the key.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

seton005 wrote:
I actually know a guy several years back who accidentally started his car from inside a crowded party. A smart a*** in the front yard jumped in and mashed the accelerator (very quick and very nice lx torana) and drove it straight into a pole (steering lock still engaged obviously). So yeah each to their own (just be careful).

A lot of the remote start alarms still work as alarms, once you enter the car without turning the alarm off, the alarm shuts down the engine and disables it.
Waste of time if the alarm didn't do this and it would be no better than a turbo timer, anyone can enter most cars with a turbo timer and drive off, I have actually been for a drive in a 4WD where the owner forgot he only had the keys in the ignition, lucky for him the keys needed to be removed for the steering lock to work.

As for starting the car by accident, when they first came out they had a timer on them, so I can't see a good one these days not having a timer in them.

I personally do not think manual cars should be allowed to use remote start, that requires a gear selector sender and most gearboxes don't have one.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next