Fordmods Logo

Aftermarket ECU's worth it? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Aftermarket ECU's worth it?
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I'm learning a lot from these forums, but I do have one question - I read somewhere that an aftermarket ECU for an AU can be like $1700 or something that just piggybacks on the orginal ECU - surely to god you don't get $1700 worth of better performance with them? I would have thought you could spend $1700 elsewhere to get good performance?

Or are they designed for the few that have nothing else left to do on the car so an aftermarket ECU is the only thing left???

Your opinions on the value of them appreciated......

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hey mate

Honestly, the only reason you'd go aftermarket ECU is if you were pushing the limits of EEC. You've probably picked up in your readings that the EEC-IV and EEC-V are very limited in their ability to be modded. There are chips like unichip which plug into the J3 service conncector of the ECU and can be tuned in real time on the dyno.

But yeah, aftermarkets you kinda splice into the standard loom as they only really control fuel and spark maps. Standard ECU has to stay as this controls the dash and immobiliser etc.

BTW $1700 is fairly conservative, install and tune will cost a fair bit. SV0 XR6 runs an EMS ECU (with a great deal of success) but i think his engine has had a fair bot of work done.

Cetainly not worth it for a stock engine.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:19 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Hey mate

not so sure about that! i stock engine with zorst and intake can HUGEly benifit from aftermarket ecu, pretty sure there is a meber on here with a unichip on an au and it made more powere gave better fuel econ and dropped around 1.5 secs down the 1/4!, aufalcon.com has done a chip challenge i would head over thre and have a look
aslo in my belief if more work is planned for the car add teh aftermarket ecu then as it emans u can do anythign to the car and have it tuned for what u have done.

i want a EMS :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Hey mate

not so sure about that! i stock engine with zorst and intake can HUGEly benifit from aftermarket ecu, pretty sure there is a meber on here with a unichip on an au and it made more powere gave better fuel econ and dropped around 1.5 secs down the 1/4!, aufalcon.com has done a chip challenge i would head over thre and have a look
aslo in my belief if more work is planned for the car add teh aftermarket ecu then as it emans u can do anythign to the car and have it tuned for what u have done.

i want a EMS :)

Yeah that's a fair comment Frank.

Spose i'd put it this way... $1700+ for ECU + install + tune or $1700 on exhaust or head or diff work?

Also the fact that EEC is incredibly sophisticated - emissions, cold starts etc. Only advantage of aftermarket ECU is real time tuning for maximising performance.

Lol - i NEED EMS!!! :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Unless you go forced induction I don't see a huge improvement because the EECIV/EECV's are good computers. The I6's don't have the MAF setup like the V8's do so do benefit from chips if mods like cams, headwork etc are done otherwise results are normally minimal.

I am having an EMS 8860 installed in the next week or two mainly because my chip isn't working under boost and the edits available are overpriced IMO (still they also do a good job). The 8860 also give tons of outputs to run things like water injection, thermo fans, shift lights and some trans functions, Oh and traction control is nice addition too.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:

Yeah that's a fair comment Frank.

Spose i'd put it this way... $1700+ for ECU + install + tune or $1700 on exhaust or head or diff work?

Also the fact that EEC is incredibly sophisticated - emissions, cold starts etc. Only advantage of aftermarket ECU is real time tuning for maximising performance.

Lol - i NEED EMS!!! :)

hehhehe
mm do $1700 worth of head work and u will ned aftermarket ecu well for i6 the v8's u can use tweecer whcih is cool!

EDXR8 wrote:
I am having an EMS 8860 installed in the next week or two mainly because my chip isn't working under boost and the edits available are overpriced IMO (still they also do a good job). The 8860 also give tons of outputs to run things like water injection, thermo fans, shift lights and some trans functions, Oh and traction control is nice addition too.

yes EMS is way cool!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

IMO...
The eccV is great, try and keep it for aslong as you can
mildish cam/zorst & extractors/intake will run fine off it.

Head work is funny. Some 4L buildes, ie JMM, Port there heads to get the rite A/F mixture instread of flowing it to maximum potential. This is silly, as they try and keep the std ecu foe aslong as they can.
Not a bad idea tho, as ECU's are very time consuming and can be costy.

A stand alone ecu is aimed for highly tuned N/A or blowen/forced cars.
Ans as the EccV isnt easly tuned or chipper ect, its a good and better in the long run choice.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Guys,

The EEC4 and 5 can run a fair few mods and decent horsepower without touching them. Its once you go radical cam grinds and headwork, which require a lot more fuel and air, when you need to piggyback or even replace all together your ECU with a good aftermarket unit.

My XF Ghia runs an EEC4 with piggybacked unichip unit due to extensive work to internals. Mind you, if I was to do it again, I would go Microtech or Motec even. The Unichip is not bad for mild applications, but once you have to re-adjust cold start idle etc, thats where you need someone who knows how the EEC4 functions, and trust me, their are not that many out there... my car spent many days on the dyno....the xf also has the air flow meter on the air box which need modifying to allow proper adjustment.

Its a hot debate, but if its just your basic exhaust and intake changes, the factory ECU can adapt. If you go big ports and cam, prepare for a hard time in stalling and getting the thing to idle, without making ECU changes.

Good Luck.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:

Honestly, the only reason you'd go aftermarket ECU is if you were pushing the limits of EEC.

Or if you wanted to remove speed limiter.. Surprises me how many people pay that amount to remove it.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Chiptorque does adjust cold air ,speed limiter, shift points etc..

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you want an aftermarket ECU that's programable, you could try megasquirt
http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html

It's a kit ecu. You put it together yourself. The ultra Megasquirt is very powerful. It has similar programable options to a motech with the same sort of accuracy, but it costs about AUD$300 all up... not AUD$3000.

I've buil one myself and they work a treat! I put it in my TR7 V8. I can highly recommend them.

Edit: only thing that might give you a headache with the megasquirt is controlling the auto..... if you have one.

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket ECU's worth it?
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Ghia 391W

WA, Australia

falconboy wrote:
I'm learning a lot from these forums, but I do have one question - I read somewhere that an aftermarket ECU for an AU can be like $1700 or something that just piggybacks on the orginal ECU - surely to god you don't get $1700 worth of better performance with them? I would have thought you could spend $1700 elsewhere to get good performance?

Or are they designed for the few that have nothing else left to do on the car so an aftermarket ECU is the only thing left???

Your opinions on the value of them appreciated......

As soon as you begin to modify the hardware on an EFI engine you need to be telling your ECU that you've made such changes. If you fail to dial in your ECU it will not be able to correctly calculate load because its maps are based on a stock config.

Yes, people spend big $$ on continuos ECU mods with piggyback chips and tuning. Don't even consider an after market ECU. Ford EEC-IV/V has all the capable architecture you need that can be harnessed through Tweecer. Tweecer is a tuning tool that runs parallel with EEC-IV/V via your J3 service port. Plug up a laptop to Tweecer and you can make all the tuning mods you want. No s**t chips where you don't know what you're getting.

Tweecer is around $900. XR9UTE deals them and he is the man to seek for any more on this. Also check www.tweecer.com. There are Tweecer forums around to assist you with tuning knowhow.

ED391W

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

ED391W wrote:
Don't even consider an after market ECU. Ford EEC-IV/V has all the capable architecture you need that can be harnessed through Tweecer.

You are correct there, the Tweecer is an excellent tuning tool but only supports a small percentage of Australian EEC's. For that reason, aftermarket computers are still a good option for many people along with custom chips and interceptors like Unichip. If your EEC is supported by Tweecer, I would go for it, it is the cheapest and most powerful tuning system until you reach the expensive aftermarket stuff such as Motec etc.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Ghia 391W

WA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
ED391W wrote:
Don't even consider an after market ECU. Ford EEC-IV/V has all the capable architecture you need that can be harnessed through Tweecer.

You are correct there, the Tweecer is an excellent tuning tool but only supports a small percentage of Australian EEC's. For that reason, aftermarket computers are still a good option for many people along with custom chips and interceptors like Unichip. If your EEC is supported by Tweecer, I would go for it, it is the cheapest and most powerful tuning system until you reach the expensive aftermarket stuff such as Motec etc.

Yes, there is only a % of aus EEC's supported but it's a more healthy % now. Regardless, buying a new EEC from the states that is supported by Tweecer would be cheaper if your mod plans were even moderately serious. Horses for courses. It also depends on how involved with the tuning game the purchaser wishes be.

ED391W

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Whats involved with getting a tweecer system set up. Can I run it on the EECV of my 95 EF I6 running a manual box?

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next