Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ARGH!!!! stupid codes
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hey everyone. I decided to do a diagnostics test with the engine running today. I was expecting simple code readings from Murray's beautiful diagnostics thingy-ma-bob. First test.....Engine hasn't been turned on for about a day or 2 so the engine was cold....the codes that came out were 116 and 172....which is the Engine coolant temp sensor is out of calibration range and HEGO 1(wtf?) - The engine is always running lean respectively. 116....i was cool thats probably why im using so much petrol.....but the second code after finding out what it was....just didn't make sense since im using more petrol on a full tank.

Thus i did another test after i went for a drive to maccas....car is up at operating temp....codes that came out was 173......which is HEGO 2 (again wtf?) - The engine is always running rich......that makes sense but wtf does HEGO mean.....because the codes changed and it was a good idea to run multiple tests i decided to run it again when i got home.....

So i did and it said 111........no faults.......wtf is going on?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

i think HEGO is heated exhaust gas something or other. actually, i have no idea!

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
i think HEGO is heated exhaust gas something or other. actually, i have no idea!

hahahah mr_sperm1.....i think you are closer then what i was thinking...which was nothing....so im still stumped at my codes since i got 3 different codes at 2 seperate occasions and then final one is just nothing.....and i think sperm has joined me in wondering what HEGO means.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

HEGO sensors is the oxy sensor. Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor

And you will get a code 116 for the coolant sensor when the car is cold. The engine temp has to be above 40deg for the test and the sensor to work properly, which is why you didnt get the error after u drove the car.

I would swap the sensor with a new anyways. Over time the tend to be less reactive to temperature changes. When I swapped mine (for the hell of it, not to fix a fault) I got a more accurate temperature gauge reading and slightly better consumption and power.

Did you do an engine on test as well. This will monitor the sensors as they work, rather than just reporting on a quick test.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I did the KOEO one at first...a while back and i had a code coming out about Speed sensitive power steering thingy......and found out i don't have that in a normal fairmont.

did the test with the engine running today and got the results above....

by sensor i think u mean temperature sensor? i might get that replaced if i get the time....Oxygen sensor was just replaced about 2 weeks ago if u meant that.

how much would a temp sensor set me back?

phong =P~

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The Fairmont ECU is the same one as a Fairlane ECU, which is why you get the SSPS error.

And I was talking about the temp sensor.. From memory they are about $35 from Ford. But that same sensor is the one that runs your dash gauge. So if the gauge is showing a reasonable temp range, you could assume that the temp sensor is not really causing a problem.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
The Fairmont ECU is the same one as a Fairlane ECU, which is why you get the SSPS error.

And I was talking about the temp sensor.. From memory they are about $35 from Ford. But that same sensor is the one that runs your dash gauge. So if the gauge is showing a reasonable temp range, you could assume that the temp sensor is not really causing a problem.

the needle usually sits at around A....of NORMAL....never seen it go above M...

phong =P~

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]