AU ECU self test mode? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: AU ECU self test mode?
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hey all,

I am just wondering I can check the ecu for fault codes/let it do a self test without any special tools. I have done this with many cars using an led, resistor etc, so I just need to know where to locate the plug and what pins to use. I have tried searching but that didnt really help and I have tried playing with the plug in the fuse compartment in the dash but I got nowhere.

I have an AU 1 Fairmont Ghia with VCT motor and auto trans if that helps.

I had a lot of experiance with ecu's in my tx5 when I put an AT turbo motor and ecu into my AV n/a. That took weeks of reading diagrams and what not to work out, so this should be easy.

Post subject: Re: AU ECU self test mode?
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Panel Van

NSW, Australia

Hi tx5_brent,
I too would like to find the appropriate info for the correct Scan Tool / Code Reader that IS capable of diagnosing the AU Fords - I have recently bought a 2001 AU2 Wagon, and although it is going well I would like to have the capability to run the diagnostic tests myself rather than have to take it to the dealers to have done - I think the fees charged by these places is very unreasonable.

I have been researching the AU Scan Tool scenario for the last week and it has led me to believe that no one really knows - from what I can gather the plug in the fuse box/dash area is a OBD2 connector, BUT the system is NOT OBD2 - and yet it is NOT OBD1 as the earlier E series vehicles.

It all gets a bit blurry after a while especially when you think you are onto something that will work and turns out that it is either OBD2 or OBD1 and neither will do the AU series Fords - what gives?

It seems that Ford, have the NGS Tester (New Generation Star Tester) that they use - but I am damn sure that I am not going to pay around $5000 or so to get one of these, and for what it is I believe it is a total rippoff by the makers of these tools, there ain't but more than a handfull of components in them, but I suppose they don't sell many of them to the public, so they can charge whatever they like.

Ford use several systems for testing purposes, some of which are, possibly for the AU series - OBD-II compatible protocol called J1850-PWM, but a ford variation of that called SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol). Basically, it seems to be that the diagnostic port uses a different message format of the basic j1850 protocol that normal (cheap) scan tools cannot cope with. A different data frame structure.

Maybe they just don't want us to mess with our cars ourselves and/or want our hard earned dollars to come through their workshop/s ...

IS there anyone who has a difinitive answer to the dilema the AU FORD owners have, regarding a Diagnostic Scan Tool that CAN do the job simply, easily without costing more than most AU's are worth. Please help if you can.

Many thanks,
Greg.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I agree fully, there is a complete lack of info about anything to do with this and the info thats there isnt consistant. Do you know if the ecu has a function where it will 'flash" error codes. If there was more info it wouldnt be impossable to make your own 'code finder'

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

You blokes are talking at cross purposes. Brent, you need to understand that the AU doesn't work like that.

What you are describing worked up to EL but has been superseded by an adaptation of OBDII that uses a proprietary protocol. You get info on codes by plugging a scanner into the OBD port in the fusebox. An Xcal2 can read and clear codes, provided it is the blue-screen (PWM) model and not the green screen (CAN, for B-series on).

As SCT have dropped support for Xcal2's, you can't buy them new anymore, but you might pick one up cheap second-hand. AFAIK they will read codes for all vehicles, not just the one they are VIN-locked to for flashing tunes into.

Someone with an Xcal3 should be able to tell you if the same applies to them. The Xcal3 is supposed to be able to datalog as well as read & clear codes but I don't think they ever got datalogging working for AU's.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thats what I wanted to know thanks mate. Its a shame though. Doesnt matter anyway I took my card to ford today

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8 MkII

VIC, Australia

For anyone wanting to read an AU codes you can use an ELM device, Im repeating my self here said the same about 6+ months ago.

set the protocol to 2 atsp2

Change the header to
atshE4 10 F1

read codes

clear codes

I have a flash tuner for the AU which also does diagnostics and translates j1979 obdii commands to mode22 and back so the AU will work with normal software out there such as scanxl/pcmscan ect.

Its not production ready yet. Few months.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:36 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Yep, found it. ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/au-falcon-series-i-ecu-odb-diagnostics-t92497.html Very interesting thread.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII

SA, Australia

andrewt12, in your post of 6 months ago you indicate protocol 1 should be used but here you write "set the protocol to 2 atsp2". Which is the correct protocol?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]