Fordmods Logo

Au xr6 starting/stalling issue 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Au xr6 starting/stalling issue
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

I have a problem with my au xr6 always stalling when you first start it up. Normally happens after it's been left for a while (e.g. overnight or after work).

1. Cranks, fires up, then stalls. 2. Start it up again then its OK but the idle is weird...kind of just about stalls, then pickups up and so on.

Recently I've serviced new plugs, new fuel filter and cleaned the TBP, but I'm suspecting a leaky injector. Does this sound right? Also whenever I turn off the car of there is a large hissing that i'm 85% sure is coming from the first injector??

I also ran some injector cleaner which helped a little bit but the problem has come back.

look forward to ur help guys,

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Post subject: Re: Au xr6 starting/stalling issue
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Funny you say this...

My ED does this too which runs full AUII looms, motor and all bits and pieces...

Never stalls but... It cranks... Sort of fires... Spits... f@rt... Nearlly stalls... Then picks up a normal idle and sometimes the first time you accelerate it has nothing and then a second later works out what is happens and then gets the boogy up...

I have no codes from anything... The recently cleaned injectors that were in my ED motor were installed along with the near new iridium plugs... Runs on 98 all the time... Changed the PCM twice, t-map sensor once, and the TPS once... Just in case they were reading funny but weren't out of range... Still never been able to fix it... Just ended up concluding that all AU's do this...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sure the hissing isn't the air con? They usually do esp if you have climate where the ac runs most of time... They have an orifice in one of the lines and they always hiss when turned off as the pressure either side equalises...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:37 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

a mates vct xr6 is doing this atm.. we are looking into the fuel pump or injectors..
everything that's consumable has been replaced and we have come down to 2 possible causes, either a leaking injector or bad check valve in the fuel pump..

we noticed it doesn't hold fuel pressure at all after shut down, either from leaking injector or the pump.. I think its a leaking injector because even if I double prime by hitting ignition then of and on it still splutters for at least 2 fire ups..
but he wants to try fuel pump first, so that will be next weeks mission...

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:19 pm 

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
a mates vct xr6 is doing this atm.. we are looking into the fuel pump or injectors..
everything that's consumable has been replaced and we have come down to 2 possible causes, either a leaking injector or bad check valve in the fuel pump..

we noticed it doesn't hold fuel pressure at all after shut down, either from leaking injector or the pump.. I think its a leaking injector because even if I double prime by hitting ignition then of and on it still splutters for at least 2 fire ups..
but he wants to try fuel pump first, so that will be next weeks mission...

just thought ill update on this... in the case I put above it was the fuel pump.
replaced the pump with a new vdo pump and problem has gone...

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

Thanks for that...im yet to fix my ute. My injector is definitely leaking (ie when I put my finger against it, this hissing sound stops). would it be worth replacing the injector seals (e.g. O-rings), getting it them cleaned or replacing them?

Few questions about the fuel pump:
is VDO a brand?
What part number am I after
what are they worth?

considering i'm pretty certain the injector has got air getting it, what method of rectification should I try first?

cheers guys

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 pm 

NSW, Australia

vdo is the brand, its what they used from factory..
I don't have the p/n but it was around $130 for the pump assembly..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]