Fordmods Logo

BA-BF-SX-SY - Scantool Fun 

Page 25 of 45 [ 666 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 45  Next

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

After a conversation with auMatt and his chinese 'clone ELM', he pointed me to this website. Perhaps it is what is inside his unit? Not sure. The software looks to be using ELM commands, so it appears to be an ELM. I have to go back and find out what PIC chip is in the ELM to see what's going on here - can a real ELM be installed?

http://www.obddiag.net/

Lukeyson

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got a 5R29 I6 (BF) PCM on my bench today. That, and some scans of a SYTX with a ZF Tranny has helped me update my list of broadcast messages.

This is what I have so far, and what module I think is responsible for each message:

Messages Module

070 YAW
075 YAW
080 SAS
097 PCM
0C9 TCM
0FC PCM
120 PCM
12d PCM
200 PCM
207 PCM
210 ABS
230 PCM
307 ICC
353 HIM
3E9 TCM
403 BEM
427 PCM
437 IC
44d PCM
4b0 ABS
4c0 PCM
500 IC
553 IC
623 PCM
640 PCM
650 PCM
6f6 PCM
6f8 PCM??

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
After a conversation with auMatt and his chinese 'clone ELM', he pointed me to this website. Perhaps it is what is inside his unit? Not sure. The software looks to be using ELM commands, so it appears to be an ELM. I have to go back and find out what PIC chip is in the ELM to see what's going on here - can a real ELM be installed?

http://www.obddiag.net/

Lukeyson

Turns out that obddiag tool is a custom solution with ELM Compatible commands. The ELM does most of the OBD protocols onboard, does have an external CAN chip, but also has an external USB chip if you go usb.

That tool above has all diags on external chips, but has USB internal. It's definitely not pin compatible with an ELM, so all the things the ELM does, like do software speed, and speeds of 500kbps, most likely can't be done on this custom solution.

Go with the OBDPro - Or a genuine scantool.net tool - if these things concern you. For the basic stuff though, those Chinese ELM 'clones' are functional but with limits.

Interesting though isn't it. 2 years ago the big tool companies said 'stay away from the ELM because it's too slow'. Now that the ELM has picked up speed, the ELM guys are saying 'stay away from the chinese clones, they are too slow'.....

Makes you wonder what it'll be like in 2 years time ... and what will the ELM327 1.3 have in store for us?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Well I finally got off my bum and tried to get Shift Alert enabled on a BF Cluster.

What I grabbed was a standard XT/XL BF Cluster, installed a FPV Fascia, installed a couple of SMD transistors, resistors and LEDS to enable DSC and Foglights etc. De soldered all the Green LEDS and installed some white and blue ones. Flashed a FPV EEPROM file onto the Cluster EEPROM(reinstating the correct serial number etc). Did some final recalibration of the needles and set the features(Police mode and Shift Alert etc).

Installed it into my BA XR6 and now at about 5750 RPM I get this annoying beeping sounds that tell me to shift.

So my next step is to find out the exact section of the EEPROM that is causing it to be enabled and hopefully a way to adjust where is kicks in.

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSM Ford Cruiser's Web Site

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:45 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Good work.

BTW, the new version of your app, still giving me the same problem.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

data_mine, do you have anything special enabled on your tool. As I send teh ATZ command which should reset your tool. Send me another log.

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:15 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Nah, AFAIK it's a bog standard ELM327 unit. It's a Palmer Performance branded unit (I got PCMScan with it). I've used various other tools with it, and hyperterm with Luke instructions for police mode, and shift alert settings. No problems.

The bluetooth OBD2 thingy I got = unhappy. Appears to not work at all. I can connect to it wirelessly, but it doesn't seem to connect to the car.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Was the original eeprom out of a FPV 6 or 8?

Datamine, with regard to Matts question, we had some issues getting his utility to work because I had atma set by default when my ELM first turned on using the PP commands. SO it would turn on and start pumping stuff on the screen - and that stopped his software from getting the right response when he issued cold or warm reset commands.

Regarding the tool itself, Brian has some sort of arrangement with the guys at www.scantool.net for corss-selling and branding their products. Is that the tool you have?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Luke, I think it was out of an 8, but cant be sure as it was a defective cluster that was handed to me many moons ago.

Is the shift alert at a different rpm for 6 and 8?

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I don't know to be honest. For some reason I thought so. There was a thread on AFF where some guys said the shift alert was at a different RPM for 6's and 8's. I'll see if I can find it. We might already have a link to it in this thread.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I think I have found where the rpm is stored. Im going to make up some extension leads for the cluster So I can connection my test cluster that has the eeprom socket so I dont have to keep soldering the BF cluster with new eeprom to try it out.

Will let you know.

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Was the original eeprom out of a FPV 6 or 8?

Datamine, with regard to Matts question, we had some issues getting his utility to work because I had atma set by default when my ELM first turned on using the PP commands. SO it would turn on and start pumping stuff on the screen - and that stopped his software from getting the right response when he issued cold or warm reset commands.

Regarding the tool itself, Brian has some sort of arrangement with the guys at www.scantool.net for corss-selling and branding their products. Is that the tool you have?

Lukeyson

It looks physically the same as this: http://www.scantool.net/products/images ... n5_web.jpg. but with a PalmerPerformance sticker on the top.

I use a Serial-USB dongle to get it to the laptop, but that hasn't caused any troubles (works on other devices too).

Mine doesn't automatically start spewing stuff out. As I've told Matt directly, the only differences I can see between his prog and both PCMScan and another one I've tried, is Matt uses lowercase commands and CrLf line feeds, while the others use uppercase and Cr only. Dunno if mine doesn't like that.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:44 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Cracking it open confirms it is a scantool.net Elmscan5

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I just bought a BA XR8 Auto PCM off eBay. I was able to convert it to a BA2 GT Manual PCM. Both cars use the ABU-251 hardware part code.

I'd need access to a BA GT Manual to see if it really worked, but for Lab purposes, it appears to have been completely successful.

It also means that I can make it a BA XR8 Manual PCM and play swapsies with the one in my car, VIN and all, and play with the CAPA box i have on the lab bench.

Lukeyson

Post subject: KOER, KOEO tests
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Crown Victoria Police Intercepto

Oustide Australia

I am new to this forum and this topic. However, it may be relevant to ask if anybody figured out how to, using OBDII or Ford Specific commands, induce KOER test and then read out DTC (if any) upon its completion.

For some reason I suspect Mode $8 would alow doing it.

Thank you.

Signature is not automated, I enter it everytime.

Sort by  
 Page 25 of 45  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 45  Next