Fordmods Logo

BA-BF-SX-SY - Scantool Fun 

Page 26 of 45 [ 666 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 45  Next

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Well, I haven't ever pushed to get access to an AU to try. And my J2534 tool can't do J1850 PWM/SCP. The ELM should be able to, but usefl system discovery is much harder with the ELM - especially the slow ones.

Lukeyson

well the elm i have is apparently the ver 1.2a one, i think that's also what it's got on the chip...any ideas on what software you would use to connect? the standard obd/2 stuff doesn't connect, like pcmscan, digimoto, etc just say they can't connect. you don't happen to know how the star testers or sct flash tuners connect do you?

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Crown Victoria Police Intercepto

Oustide Australia

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Test ID $02 didn't work. I used obd2crazy (wOBD) software to scan for response for mode 31 test IDs 00 - FF and turns out there are 3 test ids that my car responds to -
and

When engine is not running issuing 3181 - flashes the "check engine" light, and what appears to be execising relays (clicks are heard from under the hood and fuel pump runs bfeifly). When engine is running - 81 returns 00 00 22, which, as found out later, means test is not available or already running. Which puts 81 to be KOEO test.

With engine running, 3182 appears to start changing rpm and turning off cylinders, which I believe to be KOER test.

NOTE: issuing test request in mode $31 returns one of the outputs:
00 00 00 - probably means test started
00 00 22 - probably means test is valid but not available at this time (or already running)
00 00 12 - most likely an invalid test ID request.
Interesting side note: All requests to mode $31 return 7F as in:
3181 7F 31 81 00 00 00 - which is "bad" since I believed a 7F response to mean an invalid ID is requested... That's misleading because, now it make it uncertain for some modes to be able to tell if the request ID is valid...

As far as continues DTC - I am having no luck. My car does not seem to support PID 02 in for either OBDII module nor the PCM module, which is evident by 0100 or 220100 requests.
OBDII DTC mode 03 - returns no data, meaning no OBDII DTCs set.
I cannot figure out how to do the same for mode 22 of the PCM. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Special thanks to luckeyson for the information.

The reason (apologize for possible off-topic) I need to be able to run tests and read results is that I suspect a misfire in one of the cylinder that happens intermitently about once in 2-4 secs. I can distinctively hear the mis at about 2100 rpm from the exhaust and feel the car shake. However, I cannot pinpoint which cylinder is mis-firing and from what cause. Running tests and being able to see non-MIL (i.e. non-OBDII) DTCs, I think would help in pinpointing this problem.

Thank you.

Signature is not automated, I enter it everytime.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Hmm. Getting hardcore there I see. Are you looking up J2190? I suggest you do, it's got heaps of useful stuff in it. Mode $33 is the query for diagnostic results by test number, so you would tend to issue continuous Mode $33 requests after you did the Mode $31 trigger until the result changes. That's how you know when the Diag routine is complete.

I actually don't have anything on test 81.

02 = KOEO - Key On Engine Off
82 = KOER - Key On Engine Running
84 = Output Test Mode (OTM)
89 = Ignition Timing Test (Untested - no idea how to use yet)
8B = LPG System Test (Untested)
91 = Injection Electrical Test (Untested)
92 = Cylinder Contribution Test (Untested)

With DTC's, there are actually 2 methods. The std method is to issue a query to PID 0202 using Mode $22. The other method is a little bit sneakier and uses Mode $18 to issue a request for DTC's of status $00 to all Function groups $FF.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bodes-sh wrote:
Lukeyson wrote:
Well, I haven't ever pushed to get access to an AU to try. And my J2534 tool can't do J1850 PWM/SCP. The ELM should be able to, but usefl system discovery is much harder with the ELM - especially the slow ones.

Lukeyson

well the elm i have is apparently the ver 1.2a one, i think that's also what it's got on the chip...any ideas on what software you would use to connect? the standard obd/2 stuff doesn't connect, like pcmscan, digimoto, etc just say they can't connect. you don't happen to know how the star testers or sct flash tuners connect do you?

I have no idea to be honest. The ELM tools when they first get power scan for a response to basic OBD2 tests - like the 0100 query. It cycles through each protocol until it gets a response. If the tool doesn't auto-connect you can force it to connect as a protocol type. If you can force it to J1850 PWM that might help. But since the AU is not OBD2, I don't know if it would respond to any of the J1979 queries (like 0100) anyway. But from that point there may be other stuff that it could respond to. I don't really know.

Also, since OBD2 defines the port and pinouts via J1962, you might need to grab an AU workshop manual and see what pins the J1850 PWM diagnostic lines are presenting on in your Diagnostic port, and see if these match up with what J1962 say they are supposed to be. I'd heard somewhere that the AU presented them on the wrong pins.

I'm willing to come up with suggestions and theories because I'd like to see someone get the ELM to work on an AU, but it would all be a bit hit and miss.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
bodes-sh wrote:
Lukeyson wrote:

Lukeyson

I have no idea to be honest. The ELM tools when they first get power scan for a response to basic OBD2 tests - like the 0100 query. It cycles through each protocol until it gets a response. If the tool doesn't auto-connect you can force it to connect as a protocol type. If you can force it to J1850 PWM that might help. But since the AU is not OBD2, I don't know if it would respond to any of the J1979 queries (like 0100) anyway. But from that point there may be other stuff that it could respond to. I don't really know.

Also, since OBD2 defines the port and pinouts via J1962, you might need to grab an AU workshop manual and see what pins the J1850 PWM diagnostic lines are presenting on in your Diagnostic port, and see if these match up with what J1962 say they are supposed to be. I'd heard somewhere that the AU presented them on the wrong pins.

I'm willing to come up with suggestions and theories because I'd like to see someone get the ELM to work on an AU, but it would all be a bit hit and miss.

Lukeyson

There is a pinout diagram here on fordmods, and basing on what the pin setup is on the obd plug on the end of the elm interface, the only pin that isn't there is the chassis ground. this is the pinout on the car
scantool.net forums wrote:
I have been told
The AU falcon has OBD-II port and uses SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) which is a part of the OBD-II standard

So it is
Pins Assignment
2 Bus +ve
4 Chassis Gnd
5 Signal Gnd
7 Iso Signal tx/rx
10 Bus -ve
13 eeprom
16 Battery Volts

and i'm sure you know the pinout for the elm, but anyway
so, according to the elm
2 J1850 bus +
5 signal ground
6 CAN H
7 ISO K
10 J1850 bus -
14 CAN L
15 ISO L
16 Battery +
So any ideas on that? Or, would it just be a matter of getting into hyperterminal and seeing what responds...?

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

Thank you luckyson,

I am not looking at the standard.... as I am cheap and don't want to buy the standard.

I found out (onn accedent) how to lookup codes - it turns out to be mode $13 on my PCM...
so far the DTC is P1000. I unplugged MAF sensor and recieved MIL code P0113 which was duplicated in mode $13.

Do you have a copy of the sandard.

Thank you...

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Modes 13 and 18 appear to do similar things.

Mode 13 lets you do lookups to just the function groups (00 = Powertrain, 40 - Chassis, 80 = Body, C0 = Undefined, FF = all)

Mode 18 lets you do the same, but in addition you can query on a 'status' type - some DTC's can still be registered but not show a light for instance, or some DTC's self-clear after awhile, or be in a state of 'maturing'.

Google J2190_1.pdf and I suspect you may come up with something....

Lukeyson

Post subject: Output test mode
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

I successfully figured out how to run KOEO and KOER tests and read results. It turns out mode $33 followed by Test ID would provide results (one time) of the last test. My KOER test did not detect misfire. Its got to be something else.

Again, I appologize for possible off-topic, what commads do what things in output test mode (ID $84). I need to be able to turn fuel pump on for 8 seconds to measure maximum fuel pressure.

Thank you.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I haven't ever tried to trigger individual items on the OTM. It just runs through some sort of routine itself and tests everything one by one, then reports back if there's a problem.

As for the question I missed on the AU, if the pins are right but the ELM still doesn't auto-detect a protocol, then there's not much more I can offer at the moment without further research.

However, there is a path that could get us more info.

I have some software here that can connect to an AU Ford (FMP) - it is available from www.motorcraft.com for a monthly fee - but it requires a J2534 type diagnostic tool that has support for J1850 PWM. I have a Drewtech Mongoose J2534 tool (~$300 USD) but it only has CAN and ISO. There is another Mongoose tool that does PWM, CAN and FEPS (so can do factory PCM flash updates using the FMP) - but therefore won't do ISO so can't work on BA Bosch 5.3 ABS Modules, Airbag modules or Park Aid Modules on the BA/BF/SX/SY.

There are quite a lot of other J2534 tools out there that might be useful that do all OBD2 protocols but they can be a bit expensive - the cheapest of which appears to be the EEpod LLC at $500 USD plus a $65 OBD2 cable.

With a J1850 PWM J2534 Tool, FMP software, an OBD2 Y-Cable, and an ELM327, you can issue commands using the FMP software, capture what happens using a filtered atma on the ELM, and work out what's going on. That's how all the good stuff is done these days....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

Of course, if you have software, one could always dis-assemble the software itslef and figure out what codes it sends to the device. Since, most likely it is an OOP, all reads/writes are performed using one or two functions and all command strings are most likely declared beforehand and could be stored in the data portion of the executable....

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Has anyone used GLM Software's ODB 2007 application?

www.glmsoftware.com

It looks very interesting and it is developed in Melbourne.

Regards

John

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

We know about it. Graham McKechnie has at least had a good read of this thread and knows about us too.

I know that it's OBD2 J1979 software, so it doesn't have custom manufacturer stuff in it. I haven't actually seen it myself to give you my impression of it. But I do know that he's customised it for the obdpro tool, as well as being ELM compatible.

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

ya know that ptdiag (pass thru diagnostics) someone was talkin about up top.. well i have it. so if anyone needs it contact me

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You've got at least one PM I would imagine.....just in case you only hit this page publicly and don't logon to check your PMs.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

This DTC library may be useful to some. Not sure if you have seen it.

http://www.auteltech.com/DTC_Library_V1.10.rar

Regards

John

Sort by  
 Page 26 of 45  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 45  Next