Post subject: Cam Angle Sensor - Diag Code 214 - Rough Idle
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Hey all,

Before I start, just be aware that I know precious little about electronics, so I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. I am ignorant :-)

I have been getting a rough idle, especially in Drive, as if it's trying to stall. Seems only when in closed loop. Checked the diagnostic codes, and it came back with a 214 - Cam Angle Sensor Out of Range. Other threads indicate that this can cause rough idle, as it's injecting fuel 360 crank degrees (or 180 cam degrees) out of phase. Makes sense.

Assuming that's causing the idle problem, here's where I really need some electrical/electronic help. My Gregory's manual says I should be seeing battery voltage at terminal A of the CAS connector with ignition on. I am getting only about 0.3V, and guessing that this is what's throwing up the 214 code.

I have checked all three wires on the CAS back to source (2 to the ECU, 1 to the ECU relay) and have continuity on all three. This seems to imply that the lack of voltage at terminal A is a problem inside the ECU. Surely the ECU has 12V available if the car is able to run, but there is no voltage coming out to the connector for the CAS. Am I on the right track?

Another thread indicated that two capacitors in the ECU can fail and cause a rough idle. Is this the same or a related issue?

I really appreciate your help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xls ute

NSW, Australia

my ef idled s**t it was the ecu

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]