car runs like a dog 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: car runs like a dog
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ea fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

okay my ea fairmont with its ebII 4ltr is running rich, its got a microtech ecu and the tune done is good, and was not originally running rich, when i drive ican oonly drive about a minute or two before it begins to cough and splutter and carry on. they guys that did the tune say i may have a vaccum problem on the inlet manifold, now i told them that we cleaned the spark plugs and after these drives they are black as black again. therefore it is running rich, yes...?

now i cant get the car to them because it is about an hour away and i dont wanna waste my money on mechanics stuffing me around like the doggy pricks in ballarat do! so PLEASE!!!!! if anyone can give me any diagnosis on my ford i'd love to hear them. lol
cheers ppl

Post subject: Re: car runs like a dog
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Check for any vacuum leaks. A hose may have come off some where. Have a look in the engine bay and listen for any hissing. Might be your MAP sensor, located on the firewall above the intake manifold, the hose may have blown off or come loose. May even have a crack in the hose, wire may also not have come off.

Check the O2 sensor...it may also have died on you causing you to run rich.

That's all I can think off at the moment.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Okay I'll take a look one thing tho is I don't have an O2 sensor.. And just wondering if anyone has some other reason...
Cheers people

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

redhatkid wrote:
Okay I'll take a look one thing tho is I don't have an O2 sensor.. And just wondering if anyone has some other reason...
Cheers people

You don't have an o2 sensor? Should have it in the exhaust, at the bottom of the manifold/extractors.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:55 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I do have the hole it's blocked off. That's how it was tuned.. And on my extractors the hole is out of one pipe. But yer the car was running perfect without it...
I dunno if it is because I was "having fun" late one night or wat. Lol
but since then it hasn't been the same. While I was havin some fun it back fired a couple times coz I was hittin the limiter....

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:07 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

vacuum problem sounds right.
if you have a big enough vacuum leak, your ECU thinks you have the throttle open and injects alot of fuel.
this is especially true if the vac line that goes to your microtech has come off...
check all the vacuum hoses.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

redhatkid wrote:
I do have the hole it's blocked off. That's how it was tuned.. And on my extractors the hole is out of one pipe. But yer the car was running perfect without it...
but since then it hasn't been the same. While I was havin some fun it back fired a couple times coz I was hittin the limiter....

aftermarket ecu,s dont really need an o2 sensor if they have been dyno tuned right.. unless its set up to run in closed loop mode..

where factory ecu relies on the o2 to help with emisions, closed loop and ecu learning..

as steady ed said look at the vac line that runs to your ecu as it may have come off.
even a leaky or loose inlet manifold can cause low vacuum causing the ecu to dump s**t of fuel in the engine..

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Fair enough on the no o2 sensor. I thought it would have made economy sense to keep running one? Anyway...

I had a vacume leak for a while after my gas injection was fit. I went thru all the hoses, replaced them all, no change. Checked the tension on the manifold bolts, got a scare. NONE of them were on more than finger tight & 2 were missing! Fixed that up, no more vac issue. Check the manifold bolts!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Quote:

try doing that again, and im sure itll reverse your problem, your motor should be working fine..... as a paper weight!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Okay well the hose that runs to the ecu is going into the injection manifold on the under side.
It replaces the hose that goes to the map sensor. And I'm pretty confident it's still on.. But I will check anyway. I'm normally wrong when I say it's there...
And I'll check the manifold bolts to haha. And if worst comes to worst I will take it to a dam mechanic :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]