Charcoal canister removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Charcoal canister removal
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

the big black box in passenger wheel arch... well thats somewhere smashed/run over on a road.

and im left with hosing venting to atmo. (slight fuel smell)
and one of the hoses connects to the BBM.
the other, im yet to source.

can i block off these hoses?
or would that cause issues?

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

u cant block the hoses
1 goes to teh fuel tank and allows fuel vapour to the cannister, which then gets consumed by engine
block hose = pressure in tank = split tank or worse

can connect it to the bbm hose as it will suck all the time
and then u get a vaccum in the tank

u can block the one to the bbm as that should be vaccum

3rd hose noooo idea!
could be the vac hose to control the valve on the cannister

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:00 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

NFI what the 3rd one is, the valve for the canister is a solenoid not vac operated.
I'm guessing you give no F**k for emissions laws, I'd block everything but the fuel tank vent, and reroute that fuel tank vent hose to vent somewhere where you won't notice the smell so much, as in outside the engine bay, maybe towards rear of car?

Or vent it into the tailpipe, that could be interesting. :lol:
Actually vent it to your screamer!!!! :lol:
Maybe don't do that, I'm half joking.
I don't know what could happen :?

edit: 3rd hose is the one from the canister probably, there should be a solenoid in between that and the hose to the BBM.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

just run it into your airbox.. or near to your intake so theres no actual vacuum on the line but the vapor given off is consumed by the engine.

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

cheers guys. emissions laws? what are they?

ill block up the BBM one.. and discretely hide the fuel one.

is it ok to take off the solenoid? (its got wiring to it)
so would that bring up an error code? or all good to remove?

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

If you're running a wagon you could connect the hose from the fuel tank to the hose that feeds the rear window washer H2o supply.... They're right next to each other - the H2O to rear window goes into sill around the pillar area on left side of car from the wiper bottle in rear left engine bay, and the other hose you're talking of not finding will have pulled a connector out from near the bellhousing on firewall.

Why am I reading this thread?

Becuase I did a seach for "fuel smell" as had just fixed my original fuel smell problem by putting in a new charcoal filter with a cap on it (the last had broken clean off somehow)... Now, since close encounter with Asian driver, I have wicked fuel smell when I go from flooring it or loading the motor up a hill to cruising.

I've discovered the ECU is responsible for recognising this situation and releases th...... SHUT UP FIEND.....

<ahem>

Here's a quote
"""Warm Cruise
We have come to a point where we are happy with our speed and want to just cruise into the sunset. What sounds easy turns out to be one of the most in-depth strategies we use. It is assumed that we citizens spend most of our time at cruise (yeah right), so we need the lowest emissions, highest economy, and moderate power at this time. The only good thing of warm cruise is that engine conditions are stable and need the least amount of safety nets. We still have the throttle air bypass at 100% in preparation for future braking. Fuel is stabilized with the switching of the HEGO; it cycles about 10-20 times a second. To do this the fuel ratio is leaned and enriched slightly each time the HEGO switches from lean to rich. It’s like a high wire act, balancing fuel for maximum economy. EGR is operational allowing more timing with less fear of detonation. EGR also lowers the amount of oxygen in the mixture by about 15%; this means we don’t need as much fuel. The canister purge valve is opened to ingest fuel vapors, this allows us to cut back on fuel metering slightly more and prevents fuel vapors from escaping to the atmosphere. Timing can be advanced to increase engine temperature and counteract EGR influence upon igniting combustion gasses. Timing is used to control engine temps, hotter engines burn fuel more completely. And for the fuel that wasn’t burned in the combustion chamber, we need extra airflow pumped into the exhaust system."""
--- http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=64

Guess I have simply had the second charcoal filter s**t itself on me in less than a month. Chances of this happening are remote I would have thought...

Let's say there was a slight fuel smell at times (as described) even tho charcoal filter was working properly. The huge suction created by flooring it, and then releasing the pedal means that a bit of petrol is escaping from someplace.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]