Code 522 after el 5l manual conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Code 522 after el 5l manual conversion
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford el 5l

WA, Australia

Hey
After a search I can not find any info on how to get my ecu to think it's in neutral. I've bridged the inhibitor wiring and it starts but will not go in to base timing. It's a 98 el v8 I've got a j3. It runs ok but just want to check the base timing. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Code 522 after el 5l manual conversion
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Manual and auto V8 ecu printed circuit boards are physically different and the ND switch logic and ecu pins is different between an auto and a manual. Bottom line is that you can't modify the wiring to fix it, the problem is internal within the ecu. You have a conflict between pcb architecture and program expectations

Your J3 chip programmer would have warned you about this.

From memory this also means you can't do KOER and cylinder balance diagnostic tests

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Also I dont think base timing mode works when running off the J3.
I have been told of this by a few people who have experienced it.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for the quick relies. I'm still using the auto computer 6dhd with a manual tune on the j3. I was wondering if I could wire a neutral input to the ecu just so I can get it in to base timing.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

matt_el5l wrote:
Thanks for the quick relies. I'm still using the auto computer 6dhd with a manual tune on the j3. I was wondering if I could wire a neutral input to the ecu just so I can get it in to base timing.

No. As I stated above you have an unresolvable conflict between program expectation (requires ND switch logic "A") and pcb architecture (requires ND switch logic "B"). You can't re-wire the problem away, it is inside the ecu pcb.

As a result you are unable to get into KOER dignostic mode (which is the mode used to set the base timing). So your most useful diagnostics are unavailable as well not being able to set your timing.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey I finally got rid of the code 522 and set the base timing. I had the inhibitor switch bridged to start the car but had the range switch unplugged. I plugged the switch back in and put it in the park position which let me set the timing. I did this with my j3 plugged in. Very happy now, timing before was only at 22 deg now is at 30. Car goes heaps better and is running is very good.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]