Fordmods Logo

DF II (EF) 5.0 / AU M.A.F. Sensors compatability 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: DF II (EF) 5.0 / AU M.A.F. Sensors compatability
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: DF II LTD 5.0

VIC, Australia

My '96 LTD 5.0 has been coughing and spluttering (intermittantly) have been sent an AU unit, and apart from the connector difference,is there anything else i need to know before i fire the ol' girl up?-and has anyone got a set of AU factory manuals they want to sell???(have got the 'E' manuals) As of today,17/09/'11 i've racked up over 50 k's on a 'temporary' connection to the AU M.A.F. unit.the slightest hesitation at (most) throttle on demands. no sign of a loping idle that the 'ol girl had when i bought it at 103,000 k's.I've noticed most hot starts,the engine seems to be half way through its first crank,and its fired up ready to go.even from cold start,noticeably quicker to fire up (and no cold weather cough splutter) . Easy start up can be attributed to a new battery,if you have the original Ford battery terminals,GET RID OF THEM! if you havent been victim of them yet,you soon will be.
Going to do a poor mans code extraction at around 100 k's.give the EEC V time to learn the new sensor (or not!)

Last edited by stormy423 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DF II (EF) 5.0 / AU M.A.F. Sensors compatability
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

It won't work properly in open loop, your afr will be wrong. They run way rich at idle and top end, which hurts power and wastes gas.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

is it possible to modify the wiring so the AU sensor & housing goes in?

from what i understand the sensor is calibrated to the housing that comes with it, and that the ECU re-learns the new maf

or i could possibly be way off :oops:

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
is it possible to modify the wiring so the AU sensor & housing goes in?

from what i understand the sensor is calibrated to the housing that comes with it, and that the ECU re-learns the new maf

or i could possibly be way off :oops:

Thanks for your comment.the ecu can do limited ranging to take into account ageing and sensor specs. The cold air induction i fitted,there was a note to say that the system will 'learn' the change in air flow. i noticed on a friends AU XR8 ute an extra sensor in the air ducting,and in the air box is a 'bell end'. I'm going to trial the unit,but i'm going to scource the unit specified for my car. Then onto the scematics of an AU to see all i need to do.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
It won't work properly in open loop, your afr will be wrong. They run way rich at idle and top end, which hurts power and wastes gas.

thanks for your input.I'm going to try it,but go back to the original unit-just to get the ol' girl on the road again.Then some homework on the AU systems to 'give her a kick' 5.6 seems the way to go!cheers mate!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]