Fordmods Logo

Dodgy fuel pump (can the pump itself be repaired?) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Dodgy fuel pump (can the pump itself be repaired?)
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I've just got my car back together pretty much after a head reco and it still runs a bit funny on gas (because the gas converter is leaking coolant into the the cylinders). It hasn't ran on petrol for years and I never really needed to fix it until now.

Anyway I've taken out the fuel pump (bosch), tested it and it's cutting in/out whenever it's moved. If I turn it upside down it'll stay on for a decent amount of time, it's like somethings loose/shorting inside the actual pump itself (the cylinder looking unit), can these be repaired or am I up for a new pump?
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Dodgy fuel pump (can the pump itself be repaired?)
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

new pump....

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

New Pump.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

New Pump.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

New Pump.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well I took the risk and got a "new pump" lol and it's running on petrol now. Luckily all the injectors and crap still worked after been bone dry for 4 years.. which was the main concern. It runs stronger than compared to lpg but the same problems still persist (on both fuels). I'm gonna replace the 4 year old fuel filter tomorrow and hopefully see some benefit there petrol wise.
Regarding the lpg converter, it shuts off the gas from the motor when the car is running on petrol... there's no chance coolant can still make it through the intake via the converter is there?

It's idling and misfiring like a pig still despite the new head (the new head did help, it's not as bad as beforehand), getting a new cat fitted as the current one has collapsed hoping it will help, but it isn't the underlying issue (it barely runs any better when removed), don't know where to go from here.. I dread taking my car to a mechanic haha.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If you have the same issues on both fuels, then it most likely is not fuel related. Check all your electricals, leads, plugs, coil. Check you MAP sensor, O2 Sensor. If the Cat is collapsed, replace it as it is restricting the escape of exhaust gases.

On the petrol side, replace the fuel filter and how old is the fuel?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The fuel is fresh I only filled up last week (BP ultimate). I've replaced everything imaginable besides the tps and cat converter. Still haven't put the filter in I'm about to go and do that now!

Something very strange I noticed with the car is the timing, it doesn't run well/idle at all until it's advanced to around 25-30 degrees. I've adjusted it to 10 degrees btdc on petrol now and it barely runs (the timing is definitely correct 100%) it drives but poorly, lags, barely makes it up hills and hunts/almost dies. Low idle, almost stalled from hunting and its worse in gear,. Weird thing is the harmonic balancer hasn't spun as I've had the head off last week, otherwise that'd be the perfect explanation..

Really sounds like a stuffed cat now haha, it's running dreadful now the timing is correct :? could advancing the timing way too much cancel out the symptoms of a stuffed cat? I'll try taking it off again to test, but it didn't make much difference when I did before. I'll see how I go!!

Edit: Wow I've used $50 of petrol over around 30-40km's, can smell it too running very rich but no smoke.

Edit: Replaced the fuel pump and took off the cat and it made barely any difference, it sounds like it's misfiring and it idles extremely low after a rev and hunts afterwards every time, very shakey when coming down the rev range too feels ignition related.. everything is new, including the dizzy itself.

It sounds a lot worse in real life but here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ditbaZ3e ... e=youtu.be

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

THIS is the EXACT problem i had

i replaced EVERYTHING all the leads ignition coil , complete dizzy , TPS, plugs, 02 sensor , decatted the cat

ended up being a fuel pump even though it was done not long ago , did you put a new piece of hose inside the tank ?

i know you said it but just double cheeking did you change the leads and the coil ?

also it could be a injector all it takes is 1 lazy injector and thats it ,

Way i figured out something was up , was i used a heat gun sensor , temperature sensor on each cylinder to see if they where the same temp and that's when i found out injector #5 was stuffed

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ILLaViTaR wrote:
Something very strange I noticed with the car is the timing, it doesn't run well/idle at all until it's advanced to around 25-30 degrees. I've adjusted it to 10 degrees btdc on petrol now and it barely runs (the timing is definitely correct 100%) it drives but poorly, lags, barely makes it up hills and hunts/almost dies. Low idle, almost stalled from hunting and its worse in gear,. Weird thing is the harmonic balancer hasn't spun as I've had the head off last week, otherwise that'd be the perfect explanation..

Lead order,
Spark intensity,
Set timing in in the correct way,
Don't use a dial back timing light,
Vacuum leak at vac hose on the pressure reg,
Leaking pressure reg (into the vac hose),
incorrect cam timing,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]