Fordmods Logo

EA spluttering/backfiring (solved: failed ignition coil) 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EA spluttering/backfiring (solved: failed ignition coil)
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 3

Joined: 29th Dec 2012

Ride: EA Fairmont

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Hey guys so I have an EA 3.9 CFI Fairmont and today I was doing about 60kmph when it randomly started spluttering, backfiring, slowing and losing rpms (pretty much the same as it would if it were running out of gas) but I had half a tank, anyway it only gave me trouble for about 10 seconds and now its running fine again. Just wondering...is this a sign of a failing fuel pump or injectors or??? :o Any help appreciated!!! This is my first post but have been lurking for a few months.

Last edited by palegre3n on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 3

Joined: 29th Dec 2012

Ride: EA Fairmont

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

I'm sure nobody really gives a damn, but it turns out this was a failed ignition coil which caused an intermittent spark, especially when the car was warm. How queer!! Anyway, it didn't cost me anything because I grabbed the coil off my old engine and away she went. This confused the s**t out of me for while cos the symptoms were exactly the same as a fuel system related problem.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

palegre3n wrote:
I'm sure nobody really gives a damn, but it turns out this was a failed ignition coil which caused an intermittent spark, especially when the car was warm. How queer!! Anyway, it didn't cost me anything because I grabbed the coil off my old engine and away she went. This confused the s**t out of me for while cos the symptoms were exactly the same as a fuel system related problem.


Good to hear you got it sorted for free :). Also didn't even see the original post :?...may have posted on a bad day where it was pushed to the bottom and people just skimmed over it.

Either way, good news and good to see you updated the post for others :)

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:37 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Either way, good news and good to see you updated the post for others :)

+1

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring (solved: failed ignition coil)
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 1044

Joined: 4th Aug 2010

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

Location: Alice Springs
NT, Australia

Hey mate, don't be too disheartened by the lack of response, I've had the same for most of my genuine queries..

Start a thread about a commodore driver or just rant about anything and you will start a epic thread..

Actually ask something legit to the site name and orientation and you might get lucky and one of the few helpful people might reply..

I use it for more of a reference, and the tech docs, typing fordmods and my key search words in google is a better way to search than the site search function too..

Either way welcome to Fordmods..

These cars are biartches sometimes, having the weirdest symptoms that are fixed by something that feels so unrelated!


EDIT: LOL, and now he gets 3 replys in 30 mins!!

 

_________________

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring (solved: failed ignition coil)
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Attachment:
Grumpy Cat Forums.jpg
Grumpy Cat Forums.jpg [ 115.59 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2753

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
palegre3n wrote:
I'm sure nobody really gives a damn, but it turns out this was a failed ignition coil which caused an intermittent spark, especially when the car was warm. How queer!! Anyway, it didn't cost me anything because I grabbed the coil off my old engine and away she went. This confused the s**t out of me for while cos the symptoms were exactly the same as a fuel system related problem.


Good to hear you got it sorted for free :). Also didn't even see the original post :?...may have posted on a bad day where it was pushed to the bottom and people just skimmed over it.

Either way, good news and good to see you updated the post for others :)




good! ...

this maybe the problem with an EA Fairmont Ghia i had a look at today .. fingas crossed
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EA spluttering/backfiring (solved: failed ignition coil)
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 1687

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Glad you found your problem mate but the reason you had no replies is because this topic has been covered 1000000000000times and if you had done a search you probably would have found everything you needed to know without posting a new topic.

:)
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:31 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names