EB 4.0 stalling after dry tank and old fuel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EB 4.0 stalling after dry tank and old fuel
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all,

I ran the fuel tank dry a couple days back and thought I'd use some of the old stuff in the jerry can to get me down to the servo seeing as it was only a couple months old. Well big mistake that turned out to be, I only used 2-3 liters of it and the car now runs like crap and it cuts out like every 10 seconds when driving..

I tried another can of fresh 91 in and it improved a little, then decided to put half a tank of BP ultimate in after a painful limp to the servo and back and it's running fine since the 98 but hasn't fixed the stalling issue at all.
I'll be driving and it'll just drop out all of a sudden.. or sometimes die/idle on 100rpm and kick back in/splutter, and if I put my foot down to help bring the revs back up I get a weird choking feeling like it's pushing air into the motor instead of fuel.. Thing is it's not idling crap anymore since I put the 98 in. It's running perfect but still drops out (like a stuffed tfi does) and almost drops out only to splutter back up again it's just so intermittent but it's obviously the fuel.

I've cleaned the plugs and past that I'm out of ideas haha, I remember hearing folks having issues running an old tank dry so maybe it's possible I've clogged my fuel filter (brand new) or something... if that's possible? Though it revs fine and runs fine, it's obviously getting fuel, just decides to cut out or spasticate itself every 10 seconds for no logical reason 8-)

Post subject: Re: EB 4.0 stalling after dry tank and old fuel
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Perhaps change the fuel filter again? Might not be clogged but maybe enough s**t in it to make it restrict fuel and do what your describing?

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I checked the pump and filter today and they're like new the tank looks very clean it doesn't seem fuel related.. I had it idling for 20min, then had it sitting in gear in the driveway for 5min but the moment it drive up or down the street and it cuts out 10 seconds later.. haven't made it out my street without it dying yet lol, cuts out instantly like a stuffed TFI module does but I replaced it with a genuine one 4 months ago. The car cranks without fail everytime after it dies but doesn't always start back up afterwards.

The car's had some weird electrical crap happen in the past which seemed to come and go and has been fine for over 6 months now, I originally thought BCM since sometimes it wouldn't start and the locks would cycle.. and it would cut out when driving and I'd even lose lights and it wouldn't even turn over on occasion.. all the classic symptoms but turned out the neg battery lead was loose on the terminal and coming on/off constantly cutting the car out when driving and was fine after that.

I haven't lost anything like lights this time and no locks are cycling it's spontaneously dying and that's all it's doing makes me think the TFI is buggered again. Over the last few weeks it's jumped from 13 to 16 liters per hundred economy wise and had idled higher now and then, not to mention only a few days before the stale fuel drama it was shifting hard into 2nd (gearbox is slowly on it's way out) so maybe it's gearbox related too haha just seems very coincidental.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Culprit was a loose fuel pump 12v in the petrol/gas switch so the pump was cutting in and out constantly while driving, so guess that explains why it didn't cut out at rest.

Car's all good now!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]