Fordmods Logo

EB11 ECU and diff ratios - air box mods 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EB11 ECU and diff ratios - air box mods
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EB

NSW, Australia

I'm looking into purchasing another ECU for my 92 4.0 EB series 2 auto but after searching this and other ford forums in relation to information ECUs and diff ratios, it appears the ECU I'm looking at suits a 3.23 diff and the tag on my diff is 3.27.
The major confusion is the 3.27 diff is listed as the V8 diff but I know the unit in my car came as standard.
The unit I'm looking at is from a police car and I was hoping it may give me a little more oomph

Can I use this ECU in my car?
What does the diff ratio have to do with the ECU?

Another question:
I'm looking into changing my air box to a later model unit. I have often seen mention the larger air box and filter will improve the air intake, therefore, the efficiency and performance of my car.
What models air box should I change to?

I have purchased (not yet received) the air box from an FG but I'm sure it won't fit. Doesn't matter, I have a friend with an FG and he will take it off my hands
Impulse purchase online and lack of research.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: EB11 ECU and diff ratios - air box mods
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

i know people fit ba airbox's in, not sure if they have to modify anything though

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

EB-crash wrote:
I'm looking into purchasing another ECU for my 92 4.0 EB series 2 auto but after searching this and other ford forums in relation to information ECUs and diff ratios, it appears the ECU I'm looking at suits a 3.23 diff and the tag on my diff is 3.27.
The major confusion is the 3.27 diff is listed as the V8 diff but I know the unit in my car came as standard.
The unit I'm looking at is from a police car and I was hoping it may give me a little more oomph

Can I use this ECU in my car?
What does the diff ratio have to do with the ECU?

The ECU also controls the auto mapping. However, there will be no difference between the 3.23 and 3.27 mapping. Changing to a 3.45 XR ECU still works fine with the 3.2? ratios as I have found out first hand.

It will work as per normal.

EB-crash wrote:
Another question:
I'm looking into changing my air box to a later model unit. I have often seen mention the larger air box and filter will improve the air intake, therefore, the efficiency and performance of my car.
What models air box should I change to?

There is no measurable advantage to running the BA Airbox. And you have to use a rather large hammer and create a nice big dent in your wheel well to get it to fit. My advice is to keep the E Series air box.

In addition, if your EB still has the log manifold you can't use the BA airbox as it is designed to work with the BBM manifold. The piping outlets etc, are all in the wrong places.

To improve the EB intake, source an XH Ute snorkle, and an EA lower intake pipe from the air box to the throttle body. A Stock Ryco panel filter will do the job fine.

Cheers and welcome to Fordmods.
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EB

NSW, Australia

Thanks so much for the replies. I will see if I can get the XH snorkel and EA lower air pipe and see if I save some fuel. I'm not really after performance, can't use it anywhere without getting busted, but the economy I could go for. Even if it gets me and extra 50 metres per litre I will still save money at the end of the day.

I'm not tight, I'm broke and there's a big difference. My previous beast was an XD Fairmont with a 5.8 litre donk and I really miss the power.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]