Fordmods Logo

EB11 Self Test timing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EB11 Self Test timing
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EB11

QLD, Australia

After refitting engine from renewing welsh plugs, I cant get the engine to run on self test timing. The engine will start and run rough and it is an EB11 so I have disabled the EEC IV by putting a spade connector across the left pins in the socket below the fuse panel. The engine will start and I have adjusted the base timing and disconnect the grounding spade to initiate the self test but after numerous attempts , the self test has not been initiated. Is there other things which could affect this timing procedure? Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: EB11 Self Test timing
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You don't disconnect it.

Start the car, connect your terminal and wait about 1.5mins for the idle to settle, then set the timing.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ok done that. Idle does not settle, it continues to run rough. Base timing is set ok. After that manual says to disconnect ground clip , then module takes over timing adjustment. It also says at start up with terminal grounded the engine will speed up idle to 1300rpm and if it does not , then self test has not been initiated. That is not happening either.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Can anybody help with how to get EB11 self test timing initiated? Engine is running rough and does not pick up revs to 1300rpm when STI is grounded. I have tried key on engine off, key off , connect grounding spade, engine running connect grounding etc, nothing seems to get self test initiated.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

smackenzie wrote:
Ok done that. Idle does not settle, it continues to run rough.

Some thing else is wrong if it's running rough.

When you bridge the terminals it will not run rough, it just will not have a consistent idle speed as it carries out self tests.

These take about 1.5mins and then it will go in to timing mode and the idle speed will drop slightly and become consistent, this is when you set the timing. Have everything setup to check and adjust the timing before you start as it does not stay in timing mode for long, Enough to check and adjust and re-check.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks for reply. I suspect something else wrong too. There is one vacuum hose coming off engine side of inlet manifold adjacent to cylinder 5 , which I cant locate where the other end goes. The hose is about 40cm long , 10mm diameter with a 6mm opening. Also, does the EB 11 have a Mass Air Flow (MAF)sensor. I cant see any sign of one there, but a friend alerted me to that being a possibility. Otherwise all previous lines and wiring seem to be in place. I have replaced spark plug leads, new dizzy cap and rotor button and checked dizzy timing and leads sequence, etc. Engine continues to run rough when terminals are connected, and base timing checked. No speeding up of revs, or settling of idle. Also tried the key resetting sequence of leaving key on engine off for 30 minutes then starting from key on position, but to no avail. There was no prior problems as engine was removed to replace welsh plugs only, and a new radiator went in. Thanks for your help. I live 20km out of town, so I am hoping to get it running here without having to cart it in to a mechanic in Yeppoon. Shane.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]